Author Topic: Birmingham Archives 1911 free census??  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Hodgkiss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Birmingham Archives 1911 free census??
« on: Thursday 01 October 09 01:14 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if they have started the free 1911 census service at Birmingham Archives yet, im sure they said late september. But i dont want to email them and harrass them, as they probably have loads of people asking lol

sory if this has already been asked, i cant find anything.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brummygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham Archives 1911 free census??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 October 09 21:05 BST (UK) »
Search for your ancestors on the 1911 census - free access at Birmingham Archives and Heritage
Birmingham Archives and Heritage has been chosen by The National Archives to act as a regional centre to provide free access to the 1911 census.

From Tuesday 6 October 2009 one computer on Floor 6 of Birmingham Central Library is dedicated to the use of the 1911 census. Birmingham Archives and Heritage have been allocated a fixed number of free credits so access is for a limited period only.
You can search for family members, view transcripts, and download and print census schedules.

How can I use the 1911 census?

You can use the 1911 census free in Birmingham Archives and Heritage - Floor 6, Birmingham Central Library - for 30 minutes per day. You can book one session per day only.
Sessions are available from 9.30am onwards, Monday to Saturday. The last session of the day starts at 7pm on weekdays, and at 4pm on Saturdays.
You can make prints if you wish. Charges for printing are 10p for each A4 black and white print, 50p for each A4 colour print. Collect and pay for prints at the counter.
Advance booking is essential to avoid disappointment. You will be asked to provide your name and contact details when booking. You can book sessions up to three days in advance.

How to book

Phone
+44 (0)121 303 4549
9am - 7.30pm on weekdays, 9am - 4.30pm on Saturdays

Email
archives.heritage@birmingham.gov.uk
at least two days in advance.

If booking by email please wait for confirmation of your reservation before visiting.

How to find us

Birmingham Archives and Heritage is on Floor 6 of Birmingham Central Library, near the Town Hall and Museum and Art Gallery. For a location map see

Central Library Location Map

Further access

If you need further access you can buy credits from findmypast. From 21 October 2009 you can buy a subscription package dedicated to the 1911 census
1911 findmypast

Kind regards
Brummygirl
TAKE A LOOK AT MY WEBSITE. http://www.ancestorsofbirmingham.com/                                                                                                         PARISH REGISTER TRANSCRIPTIONS FOR ASTON, BIRMINGHAM & COVENTRY. ALSO  GRAVESTONE IMAGES FOR WARSTONE LANE & WITTON CEMETERIES IN BIRMINGHAM & LONDON ROAD CEMETERY IN COVENTRY
Researching - Asbury/Bilson/Davis/Dugmore/Hitchman/Markland/Milner/Morris/Perkins/Ray/Sidwell/Smith/Warden
Census information is Crown Copy Right

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 October 09 13:56 BST (UK) »
Tena Koe HODGKISS
I cannot believe I am seeing that SURNAME!
Have you any connection to Thomas William Hodgkiss born 1877 who married Hannah  Lockley in 1901?
He was aged 34 in the 1911 census?

If so I would love to hear from you!
Regards
Marlene
New Zealand
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline Hodgkiss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 09 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there, i come from a long line of Hodgkiss's in the Staffordshire area of England. Where was your family from ?

thanks
hodgkiss
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 October 09 01:55 BST (UK) »
Kia Ora Hodgkiss
A wee bit complicated! Here is all I have!

Thomas Hodgkiss  born c.1855 married Caroline Reeves March Q 1876 Aston 6d/345. They had 2 sons Thomas William born June Q 1877 6d/408 and Edwin Hodgkiss born c 1878 died June Q 1882.

Thomas H Seniior died Sept Q 1880 Aston and wife Caroline remarried (to my rellie)  Frederick Ward Dec 1882 shortly after the death of her son Edwin.

Caroline (Reeves) Hodgkiss & Frederick Ward had 2 daughters Ellen  1887 and Florence 1890 before she died in March Q 1895 Aston aged 38.
Sorry I haven't got the certs for the Hodgkisses as I am still tracking forward my family the Wards- not easy & fairly expensive in Brum!

You will find Frederick, Caroline, Thomas (Hodgkiss) Ward and the 2 daughters living at 28 Philips St Aston Manor in 1891 if that's any help!
In 1911 Thomas William Hodgkiss had married Hannah Lockley and I wiill have to track the census before I can give further info!
Regards
Marlene

HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe