Author Topic: John BROWN - immigration  (Read 25428 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John BROWN - immigration
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

You can often find the ship's name and arrival date, sometimes even the passengers names, for the early arrivals by searching  the online newspapers, using the advanced search option, then restricting the search to the Sydney Gazette and to the likely (your own guesswork) years the ship arrived.  If you use the "all of these words" option, and the ship's name and "brown" you can even find it very quickly.

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline GEOLAW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 May 13 07:21 BST (UK) »
John Brown is my GG Grandfather and his 1st wife Ann Buckley is my GG Grandmother.  John Brown is buried at Emu Plains and Ann his first wife is buried on the old homestead site (all that remains are bricks and a fenced grave and marble headstone) at Canonba (there are many spellings of this as Cannonbar, Canonbar and Carringbung).  I own the original surveyor's map of Brownstown with Canonba on it and an original water colour painting of the homestead "Belmont".   John Brown's death certificate and head stone state different ages at death, both are wrong.  His age stated on his 1st wedding registration (at Scots Kirk Sydney, 14th March 1842, clergyman John Dunmore Lang) is 23 and Ann Buckley as 28.  Ann Buckley arrived from Cork on board the Palambam as a free settler from a poor house in Cork her age on arrival in 1831 is 20. John Brown landed in Australia 1828 with his mother and 6 siblings from Cork in Ireland on board the Sir Joseph Banks, he was 11 years old when he arrived and was the 3rd eldest of 7 children.  His mother's name was Frances and they had all travelled to Australia to join the father Robert, who came to this country in 1826 from Cork Ireland  on board the Sir Godfrey Webster.  Robert had been in the 81st Regiment and was court martialed  John Brown was born 8th October 1815 in Tuam (Parish-District) Galway County his religion was Church of Ireland.  His father Robert was born Doneraile (Parish-District) Cork County his baptism is dated 29/12/1776.  His age at arrival of transportation to Australia is 50 years.  Trust all this data is of use, I have lots more but this will do as a starter.  Regards LAW

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 May 13 05:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Law,

I am also from John's marriage to Ann then  their son Thomas Brisbane Brown and so on.  I am absolutely speechless with this info that you have - it is just marvellous.  All this time I had thought John was British. I would love to make further contact if possible either by email or phone or chatroom.  Would that be possible.  I am very appreciative of the fact that you made contact.  I have a photo of either Ann Buckley Brown or  Anne McMillan Brown -(Thomas' wife).  It is one of the girls but dont know which one.  Have photos of of a couple of children back then - one died of Diptheria (from memory).

Regards Adcor
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline GEOLAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 May 13 10:52 BST (UK) »
Happy to make contact Adcor, are you in Australia or OS.  You can contact me via email (*) I'm from the son James Buckley Brown brother of Thomas Brisbane.

Regards
LAW

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline GEOLAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 May 13 14:39 BST (UK) »
Adcor, I need at least 3 postings before I can send a personal message, however you appear to have 3 postings so maybe you can send you email address to me and I can make 1 to 1 contact with you.  Regards GEOLAW

Offline GEOLAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 May 13 06:39 BST (UK) »
Thomas Brisbane Brown 1st son of John Brown & Ann Brown (nee Buckley) of Canonba was born 26th February 1843 Christened 7th March 1843 at Bungulgumbie by Rev Colin Stevens? (indistinct on certificate) Parish record No 4003. Thomas Brisbane Brown married NSW RN 1928/1864 Anne MacMillan (McMillan) registration place Dubbo. Their daughter Annie born 5th September 1865 Birth NSW RN8257/1865 died at 4 months of age Death NSW RN 3555/1865 she is buried with her grandmother Ann Brown (nee Buckley) and named on the headstone at Canonba.  I have a photo of the headstone. GEOLAW

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 May 13 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Geolaw,  Have sent a post to you with my email address, hope I have done it properly.  I have the headstone photo of our Ann Buckley Brown and a few of our John Brown plus even a photo of your james Buckley Brown.

Please let me know if you get my email address.

Regards

Debbie (Adcor)
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline GEOLAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 May 13 08:54 BST (UK) »
Debbie I would really appreciate copies of any photos you have re the Brown family.  I have several of James Buckley Brown and his wife Catherine Samuels also Catherine's book of Common Prayer. Only possess 1 small photo of John Brown so would love more.  Following is some more data re JB and his offspring from 1st marriage, if you require details on the other 2 marriages I'll let you have that too, however I'm still working on it. 
John Brown came to Australia aboard the Sir Joseph Banks arrining Sydney 7th October 1828, the ship sailed from Cork. John Brown arrived with his mother Frances and brothers and sisters Charlotte aged 15, Thomas 13, John himself 11, Eliza 9, Robert 7, Anne 5, George 3.  It would appear that Frances and the children sailed to Sydney town to meet up with Frances's convict husband Robert Brown.   Robert Brown (born 1776) came to Australia as a convict on board the Sir Godfrey Webster, sailing from Cork in 1826, he was tried (court martial 81st Regiment) in Roscommon Ireland and after arrival in NSW applied for his wife and family to join him, they are shown as living in Irishtown Roscommon Athlone Ireland.

He had 3 marriages
Marriage 1 to Ann Buckley she was 31 years of age Marriage at Scots Kirk Sydney 14th March 1842 Church record Registration 739 married by John Dunmore Lang' They had 5 children. Ann Brown Death RN 2825/1860
Their children

1. Thomas Brisbane 1843-1910 Born 26th February 1843 Christened 7th March 1843 at Bungulgumbie by Rev Colin Stevens? Parish record No 4003. Their daughter Annie birth RN8257/1865 death RN 3555/1865 is buried with her grandmother Ann buckley and named on the headstone at Canonba. Thomas Brisbane Brown died 19th November 1910 RN 14936/1910 Penrith (the death certificate incorrectly states his wife's name rather than mothers on the certificate) Thomas & Harriet's other children John T (RN 8051/1866), William (RN 8736/1868), Angus J (RN 9447/1872), Sydney Burton (RN 10191/1874), Charles Robert M (RN 10890/1876), Margaret Adelaide (RN 12729/1879) all the children's birth RNs (register number) were recorded at Dubbo NSW.

2. John Lane 1844-1915 Married Harriett Mary Isaacs Dubbo NSW RN 2262/1874 Children born  Eva Maude L (RN 12853/1879), John Cecil Victor  (mother recorded as Henrietta M C) RN 10849/1876

3. Margaret Julia   1845-1932  married John Hoare Dubbo NSW RN 2019/1865

4. James Buckley1846-1928 Birth/Baptism Certificate V1846/2942 Death RN 18603/1928 Aged 83 Dubbo NSW   

5. Anna (Anne & Ann)  Chapman   1848-1932 married Robert John  Kendall Dubbo NSW RN 1937/1867

Regards
GEOLAW

Offline GEOLAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 May 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thomas Brisbane Brown is buried in the same grave as his father John Brown in St Paul's cemetery Emu Plains (I have photos of the "monumental" headstone and inscriptions).

GEOLAW