Author Topic: John BROWN - immigration  (Read 25347 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John BROWN - immigration
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 May 13 09:11 BST (UK) »
John Brown came to Australia aboard the Sir Joseph Banks arrining Sydney 7th October 1828, the ship sailed from Cork. John Brown arrived with his mother Frances and brothers and sisters Charlotte aged 15, Thomas 13, John himself 11, Eliza 9, Robert 7, Anne 5, George 3. 

NSW SRO's website says Census was taken in November 1828    http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/short-guide-12/short-guide-12

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline GEOLAW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 May 13 10:56 BST (UK) »
I have the 1828 Census, unfortunately it was a very haphazard census and certainly did not include all the residents at the time, for instance several explorers undertaking exploration at the time (I've read the diaries) are not even on that census. 
Regards GEOLAW

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 May 13 12:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, the 1828 Census has lots of flaws, but that's the way it was in those times   I was only trying to show that they ought to be on the 1828 Census as it was to be available for completion several weeks after they had landed.   I understand that Ancestry has two versions of the Census, one based on the UK copy of the collated records and one based on the NSW copy of the collated records.   I use a different resource from either of those two, and I am happy to check through my resource for you, if you wish.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline GEOLAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 00:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM interestingly there were 129 free passengers on the Sir Joseph Banks landed 7th October 1828 however only 59 of them are recorded on the 1828 census, if you have extra information I'd be delighted to see it.  Many thanks.  GEOLAW

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 01:58 BST (UK) »
 :)  Perhaps you mean that only 59 listed the name of the ship....  there's lots of examples where the householder apparently did not provide the name of the ship on the 1828 forms.   Not everyone was fully literate, and not everyone who could write had copperplate handwriting for the clerks to clearly read, and not all the clerks were experienced copperplate hands either.

I will try to get to my 1828 records in the next day or two, and look for your Frances, John, Charlotte, Thomas, Eliza, Robert, Anne, and George. 

Do you know the family's religious denomination in 1828?

Cheers,  JM

Offline GEOLAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 21 May 13 03:54 BST (UK) »
Church of Ireland, I also have John Brown's Irish Baptism Certificate which shows his parents as Frances and Robert. 
I have Robert's Irish Baptism Certificate as well, Church of Ireland again. 

Don't know Frances's maiden name also cannot find their marriage recorded, however as Robert was in the 81st Regiment it's likely they could have been anywhere.

The 1828 census I have is titled Census of NSW 1828 Revised edition with data from extant Household Returns 35,000 people - Edited 2008 by Malcolm Sainty and Keith Johnson.  I have also been right through the hard back volume at the local library.

Appreciate your input.  Regards GEOLAW

Offline GEOLAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 12:35 BST (UK) »
Now have John Brown's mother's maiden name it's Frances Kelly.  John Brown's brother Thomas and his wife and a couple of their 9 children are buried at Campbell Hill cemetery Maitland, the headstone is very ledgible (I have photos).  Thomas married Tamar Smyth from Port Stephens in 1841.  Thomas passed away 26th February 1869 aged 64 years, according to his death certificate he was an Inn keeper.

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 27 October 13 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thank you so much for the information - well done - so we have Kelly ancestry as well.  Sorry for delay in replying - only got my computer back yesterday - it was running out of mega bites or something so everything froze.

Regards

Adcor
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline saddia

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 09 March 14 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Ann Buckley wife of John brown.There were two Ann Buckleys who arrived in Sydney ten years apart but of the same age.Ann Buckley came on the Palambam in 1831 I've seen her age given as both 19 and 20,the other Ann arrived on the Fairlie from Cork in 1841 her age is given on the manifest as 29,however the manifest also states she can read and write.My Ann Buckley ,my gg grandmother was married in Newcastle in 1849,she however could not sign her own name.Does any one have more information on this lady?