Author Topic: John BROWN - immigration  (Read 25350 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John BROWN - immigration
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 09 March 14 23:08 GMT (UK) »
My Ann Buckley ,my gg grandmother was married in Newcastle in 1849,she however could not sign her own name.Does any one have more information on this lady?

Have you considered that she chose NOT to sign her name?   I am assuming that the parish register shows the bride made her mark ....    Perhaps her spouse also made his mark?   Pehaps you are looking at a transmitted copy of an entry in a parish register?     What if the clergyman said "make your Mark here" rather than "Sign here"....     

May I ask for the denomination for that 1849 Newcastle marriage  :) 

Have you looked through the C of E parish registers for the Newcastle and surrounding districts (Christ Church Cathedral's flickr images)  that are linked at RChat's Resources Board?   

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 09 March 14 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi - my Anne Buckley was married in Sydney at Scotts Church in 1842.  She married John Brown - I dont think this is the same Anne Buckley

Regards Adcor
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 10 March 14 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to a Newcastle marriage in March 1849 for a William TAYLOR and Ann BUCKLEY.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uon/2504868074/in/set-72157605132739200/

The Groom was NOT named as John BROWN.... and the bride was named as Ann Norah BUCKLEY, a spinster.  The Governor gave consent to the marriage (William Taylor was a widower).  That Ann Norah BUCKLEY's mark was recorded.  The entire record seems to be in the one handwriting which I think would be that of the Reverend.  (Charles Pleydell Neale WILTON)

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/wilton-charles-pleydell-neale-2807

Add:

William and Ann Norah TAYLOR and their son Benjamin born 11 May 1850, baptised by Rev Wilton, Chaplain, 16 June 1850 shows William Taylor was a Shopkeeper. 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/uon/with/2504868166

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 10 March 14 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Well done JM  :)
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 10 March 14 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,  definitely not the same lass as married John Brown 1842  :)

Re :  William Taylor chap  (Taylor being a surname almost as popular as Brown  :) )

On the register for the 1849 marriage, William TAYLOR Rev Wilton has noted this groom as a Widower, ex the Lady Kennaway.  As William Taylor’s sentence was that of Life, his previous marriage was effectively terminated when he was transported “beyond the seas”.  Here is a link to help explain this and a number of other issues Remember that until 1873, (start of NSW Divorces) clergy in NSW only had two options to describe a bride or a groom. These were Spinster/Widow  or Bachelor/Widow(er).  Also, it is my understanding that the word "Widow/er" had a much broader meaning than that of a person whose lawful husband had died.  This broader meaning contracted AFTER Queen Victoria's husband died in the 1860s...

http://www.aifs.gov.au/institute/seminars/finlay.html

There is a ticket of leave granted to a William TAYLOR (36/2198) , ex the 1836 Lady Kennaway, and the ToL (44/2341) issued 13 Sept 1844 permitted him to remain in the District of Newcastle.

When he arrived in 1836,  He could read and write, and was a married man, a Protestant. His Trade or calling was Farm servant and shepherd, and his offence was Sheep stealing.  His trial was 19 Oct 1835, Leicester Quarter Sessions, and he had no previous convictions.  His sentence was transportation for life.   He stood 5 ft 10 ¼ tall, with Sallow and freckled complexion, with Brown hair and Grey eyes and a large horizontal scar right side of chin, several small moles lower left arm.

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/research-topics/convicts/convicts

Cheers,  JM  :)

Offline Tigers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
     The Brown family is indeed a confusing one. You have one child missing as he is strangely not shown on the list of passengers on the Sir Joseph Banks. His names was Charles William Brown who married Bridget McGuggan/McGuggin/McGuiggin (many differnt spellings found during research) on 28th October, 1833 at Scots Church, Elizabeth Street, Sydney. Bridget died in 1837 and Charles William moved to Hobart, Tasmania and worked as a Compositor on The Colonial Times and Tasmanian. There is a death notice on Trove placed by Charles William for his father Robert Brown and states that Robert died at his residence in Paddington on 20th September, 1851 and was late of the 81st Regiment, Sergeant.
I am happy to share copies of the marriage certificate, Pardon and anything else that I may have on the Brown line which may be of interest to you.

Regards,
Paul

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,
Thank you for the information. Are you descended from Charles?  It would be great to get a copy of the pardon.  Let me know if you are indeed descended from John's brother Charles.

Regards Debbie

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,
Thank you for the information. Are you descended from Charles?  It would be great to get a copy of the pardon.  Let me know if you are indeed descended from John's brother Charles.

Regards Debbie

Offline Tigers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
     Yes, I am descended from Charles William Brown (son of Robert Brown & Frances Charlotte Kelly) who as I said was a compositor in Sydney with the Commercial Journal at the time of his marriage and in Hobart with the Colonial Times after the 1937 death of Bridget. Let me know how I send some documents to you which may be of interest.

Regards,
Paul