Author Topic: 95th Derbyshire Foot Regiment  (Read 5070 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 95th Derbyshire Foot Regiment
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 November 12 16:23 GMT (UK) »
He followed the normal progression starting as a Boy (under age), Private , Corporal, Lance Sergeant, Sergeant and Colour Sergeant. This was before they had Lance Corporals. He must have received training as a musician as a Boy, so he spent some time as a Drum Major. In a regular battalion there was one Colour Sergeant per company.

But he was a Colour Sergeant in the 5th Battalion, which was a Militia battalion. So he was transferred to the permanent staff. Before they came under the Sherwood Foresters, the 5th Battalion had previously been the 2nd Derby Militia.

Ken

Offline BodieDog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 November 12 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Thomas was in the Royal Hibernian Military School in Dublin from the age of 11 until 14 1/2 when he joined the 95th foot.  I can find no trace of siblings and neither can I find any record of David Miller's marriage.  David was a weaver and Thomas was trained either as a shoemaker or a tailor at the school before joining the army.  David was illiterate and could only make his mark on his enlistment papers.
Thomas left the army in 1884 and became a general labourer and then worked for the railway company but in what capacity I don't know.
Elizabeth married a Jack Schriver in 1917 after she had been working in William and Martha Thomas's hotel in Alverstoke in Hants.

Offline wamsilli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken.  Nice talking to you again.
Ayre Devon, Rundell Devon, Torrance Derby, Beighton Derbyshire, Warwick Cumbria, Topping Cumbria and Ireland, Tyler, Miller Derby, Pyne Devon, Gilbert Devon

Offline wamsilli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 10:39 GMT (UK) »
BodieDog.

Yes that's right about Elizabeth.  They had no children by the way.  Thomas married an Emily Powell in 1902 and had three children Lucy (Maud), Thomas and Albert. I don't know what happened to her but in 1939 he married a Beatrice Bayley, who was known as Beattie.  Henrietta married a Silas Worthington, but I know nothing more than that. I don't know anything about Herbert.  Lucy married a George Moore in 1909 and together they ran a successful hosiery factory in Hinkley called Moore,Eady,Murcott,Goode Ltd.  It now houses the Hinkley Concordia Theatre.  They lived a long time at Swallow Cottage, Hinkley, Leics. My in-laws remember it well. Lucy died at the cottage in 1963. Elizabeth died at Lucy's cottage too in 1961. Lucy and George had three children, John, Stella and Frank. Maud and Minnie are a bit of a mystery and Edith married Frederick Torrance, my husband's grandfather in 1916.  They had four children, Betty who died in her twenties, Geoffrey, Frank and Gerald.  Frank is my father in law and was 90 last week.  The others have already passed away.
Ayre Devon, Rundell Devon, Torrance Derby, Beighton Derbyshire, Warwick Cumbria, Topping Cumbria and Ireland, Tyler, Miller Derby, Pyne Devon, Gilbert Devon

Offline BodieDog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sam again

My grandmother Lucy who married Harold Moore actually had four children, John who died in 1939, Stella (my mother), Frank who died in 1945, Mike who died in 1982 and Diana who was born in 1930 and now lives in Norfolk.
In 1911 Herbert Miller was in Hong Kong in the Royal Engineers and was a photographer. He died in 1949
I am not sure if the David Miller you said died in 1883 is the right one as he was discharged in Dublin in 1848 with severe rheumatoid pulmonary (and I can't read the rest on his records) so that would suggest he was a very sick man then.
Maud and Minnie never married but I believe that Maud lived with Ethel for some time and I can remember as a small child going to visit them and having to sleep on two armchairs pushed together which kept slipping apart throughout the night!  They lived in Derby as far as I know.
William and Martha Thomas were Lucy Brown's sister and brother in law and had an hotel in Alverstoke.
I don't know anything about David's wife (Thomas's mother) other than she was called Mary Anne.  Marriage certificates gave nothing away about the women in those days!!
I found Lucy Miller aged 14 on the 1901 census staying with William and Harriet King in Normanton.  Whether this could be Thomas sister who knows. Keep looking and I will too
Be back soon when I have found anything more.
I