Author Topic: Help with the Royal Garrison Artillery in the 1890s  (Read 17738 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with the Royal Garrison Artillery in the 1890s
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 December 14 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I do not believe Kew will have anything now. In 2002 they had surviving records but now that these are on Findmypast they are no longer available at the National Archives.

Ken

Offline samuelbmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 08 December 14 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Oye! ok I will bite the bullet and pay the scrip. thanks Ken. At least I wont have to fly over.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Can't find any UK census record for a Samuel Penny born circa 1876, son of Frederick or William, a bootmaker.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline samuelbmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, Shaun. I am going to assume that Samuel's father was an Army boot maker, so he may have lived in Gibraltar too, and hence, census info limited.
I need to find a way to unlock this one bit of info. The English records are excellent, so once I ascertain Samuel's father, i am sure many others will follow with proper provenance.
Exciting!

Offline cpitney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 23 March 15 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I'm not sure if this thread is still used but it does interest me. Did you end up finding any information? I have a relative who most likely served in Gibraltar at around this time.

Offline samuelbmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 23 March 15 04:03 GMT (UK) »
I have not been able to affirmatively link Samuel Penny to his father Frederick William on any British census at all. I have learned much about Samuel in the past few months from the new record on Ancestry of Deceased Soldier's Effects. He was born in Stoke Newington, an Eastern suburb of London. Enlisted in 1894 in Royal Artillery. His occupation at enlistment date was house painter. Transferred to Royal Garrison Artillery at some [point after its creation. Married 1901 in Gibraltar, had 4 kids there, died there in 1908 and buried there in plot 1421 North Front cemetery.
But I cannot find ANY birth record or census record of him anywhere. Looked thoroughly and often. Scoured workhouses, orphanages, etc. He was likely born out of wedlock to FW Penny, the shoe and book maker. There is a Middlesex Hackney area FW Penny bootmaker who is 20 years older than his wife, so he likely played around and had a kid. I also found a FW Penny who was a house painter so its a bit confusing...
I recently learned that soldiers were mates in four men groups in the British military during this time...perhaps he had some mates I can locate...that might dislodge some more info on him.

Since he has been missing from census and birth records, it has been impossible to get any better results from London Municipal Archives, Fire Power military museum, or the National Archives. Hackney County Library could not locate anything on him either, it is a true mystery, despite having a lot of records of marriage, kids, death, etc...