Author Topic: Help with the Royal Garrison Artillery in the 1890s  (Read 17739 times)

Offline winstoncunningham

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with the Royal Garrison Artillery in the 1890s
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 October 09 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

I only have Robert's record for his second stint (plus his WW1 service) - nothing for the initial twelve years appears to be available.

I will have a look at William's - should give some idea of where they went!

Regards
WC

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 October 09 23:24 BST (UK) »
You will see from William's medical records that he was not without his problems as well (black dog!)
Bob
MacKintosh, MacIntosh, McIntosh, MacLean, Campbell, Clunas, Winchester, McLennan, McVittie, Fairlee, Queen, Oliver, Longstaff, Broderick, Hardy, Jones, Dart, Hext

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 October 09 09:55 BST (UK) »
Bob

I think if I'd been sat bored behind a gun all day in the fort, I might have had a drink myself.  ;D

WC

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 October 09 11:59 BST (UK) »
Alway got to remember cultural differences between then and now.  He was fit and able to re-enlist at the age of 51 and go to France (with the Engineers if memory serves me right).
Bob
MacKintosh, MacIntosh, McIntosh, MacLean, Campbell, Clunas, Winchester, McLennan, McVittie, Fairlee, Queen, Oliver, Longstaff, Broderick, Hardy, Jones, Dart, Hext

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 October 11 14:24 BST (UK) »
Granted Neil  :)

Here's the original without the pretty touch-ups. From previous chats, we think this is the dress uniform.

Regards
WC

It's not the dress uniform WC, but the undress frock.  The frock was a working, or barracks uniform, and it was cut to be more loose than the full dress tunic and was made of lesser quality cloth.  It was generally unlined, although men could pay to have a lining fitted if they wanted to, and it had 5 buttons to the dress tunics 9. 

The frock had a red collar and yellow tracing, as well as crows feet (or trefoil loops) on the cuffs.  He also has a single good conduct badge (inverted chevron) on his left forearm which indicates 5-years of blemish free service.  The frock was worn in lieu of the full dress tunic when overseas, as its lack of a lining and ease of upkeep made it a more practical uniform to maintain when away from Britain.

The helmet in the background has a ball top which tells us that the photo was taken after 1881 when the ball top replaced the earlier spike.  The frock was finally replaced by the new khaki "service dress" in 1902.

He is wearing white gloves and as well as his full dress helmet he is carrying a riding whip as for a mounted artillery "driver".  All these items together represent a form of "drill (i.e. parade) order" and when going out of barracks, in "walking out dress", the helmet would be replaced by a "pill box" type forage cap.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 October 11 12:47 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks Frogsmile,

That's great - all makes perfect sense.  :) Hope Bob is still out there to see this new addition to our old conversation.

My initial thought is that if Gunner Abbott served as a mounted artillery driver, the likelihood is that his unit were passing through Gib (there not being much room to drive guns around on the Rock!).

Thanks again,
WC

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 October 11 20:44 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of help WC.

It is quite likely that he was in the garrison and not passing through.  There were a significant number of artillerymen there on the rock and it was a large permanent station for RA.

You must remember that everything had mounted elements then, even the garrison artillery, and 'driver' was a standard rank in the RA in addition to 'gunner' and alongside 'farrier' and 'wheeler'.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Frogsmile,

Understood - any many thanks again.

WC

Offline samuelbmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 December 14 17:15 GMT (UK) »
In this trail of messages it mentions Census records. Any of you know which Census would include Gibraltar Garrison?
My great great grandpop was a gunner in the 8 Company Easter Division RGA at Gibraltar. Died there in 1908. I have acquired death cert, marriage cert, four childrens' birth certs, but looking for more info to find from whence he came in England, figure a census might give me facts I can use tracing things backwards.
Thanks, Sam.