Author Topic: Military Hospital Tipperary  (Read 5109 times)

Offline christyb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Military Hospital Tipperary
« on: Friday 02 October 09 15:35 BST (UK) »
The attached photo shows my grandfather Arthur Charles Sully who served in the 2/Royal Fusiliers.  He is seated on the right of the front row, with bandaged hand after being shot.
The photo was allegedly taken at a Military Hospital in Tipperary.  Apparently he was wounded four times, the first at Gallipoli and the last in France.  Would anyone know if soldiers were taken from France to Ireland (and dare anyone to say it's a long way!) and if records would exist of medical treatment.
Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Military Hospital Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 October 09 19:32 BST (UK) »
I located two articles in The Irish Times dated January 1916 detailing a decision to build a hospital for wounded soldiers (primarily from Irish regiments) in Tipperary. It is described as '..the first Depot in Ireland for for wounded soldiers in  the post hospital stage of recovery... will accommodate up to 4000 men...'

I have not found details on the setting up of this facility or the exact location.. the article states 'Tipperary' but does not clarify it this refers to the town or some location within the county.

I would say the best source of information on this would be Arthur's service record, if that survived. I doubt there are any Military Hospital records still here in Ireland - maybe worth checking Kew or the National Archives (UK) ..

I'll see if I can find out anything more about the hospital and it's location

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline christyb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 October 09 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane
Yes I suppose the best chance is grandad's service record which I will search for when the National Archives database is complete.  Otherwise a trip to London is called for!
Of course it might not have been Tipperary - you know what "family memories" can be like!

Offline dickydoremouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 12:40 GMT (UK) »
The photograph showing the relative of christyb is fascinating. I am researching my grandfather, Martin Nevin, from Tipperary, who was severely wounded in the head at the battle of La Bassee (10 Oct-2 November 1914). He was discharged 2/6/1916. What I don't know is where he was sent after his injury and whether it is he who sits in the centre of the photograph with a bandage round his head. All of the cap badges look different and my grandfather was in the Royal Irish Regiment. If there is anyone out there who can offer any help regarding the Military Hospital in Tipperary, the names of the men in the photograph or how one could get a view of names of casualties placed there, I'd be  :) !
Corrigan (Dublin); Terry; Rourke; O'Rourke;Dalton;Ellison;
Nevin; Quin;Long (Cork and USA); Supple ... more to follow no doubt!

Offline christyb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I attach another photograph including the soldier with the bandaged head.  It is not very clear so I am not sure if the cap badge is identifiable.  It would be interesting to know if the soldier is Martin Nevin.

Offline dickydoremouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply and the photograph. Haven't been able to get far yet but I will certainly keep you informed if there is anything worth knowing.
All the best. :)

Offline TLB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 16:44 GMT (UK) »
There was a small Military Hospital  in Clonmel during WW1, it was situated behind Kickham Barracks, which was used for wounded of the Irish regiments. Beleive there may have been another  in Tipperary town.
Byrne, Whelan, Sweeney. Marlfield & Clonmel
Cullen,  Breen.  New Ross
Hambrook, Essex
Broughton, London
Cole, London
Mills, London

Offline dickydoremouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that,TLB. It's a good lead. I'm very grateful. Will update with any info I find as it might help others.

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 December 11 11:47 GMT (UK) »
There was indeed a 'Tipperary Military Hospital' which was a 100-bedded unit for other ranks.  There are virtually no surviving records for military hospitals, administrative, or for patients.  Some admission and discharge records survive for a few military units and for hospitals which were civil hospitals pre-war and carried on in that capacity post-war.  For the vast majority of soldiers, the only record of medical care will be included in their service record if that survives.  For the exceptions to the rule I have some brief notes on soldiers' medical records here:

http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/125.html

and all hospitals in Irish Command here (and other places on other pages)

http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/169.html

Sue

Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period