Author Topic: 1880 Census and UK to USA Ship Log Look-Up, please: BUMBY  (Read 6112 times)

Offline vcmt2008

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1880 Census and UK to USA Ship Log Look-Up, please: BUMBY
« on: Saturday 03 October 09 02:12 BST (UK) »
John Henry Bumby left Yorkshire for the USA between 29 July 1879 and 1881. I've been unable to locate the route he took or the ship he arrived on.

His wife and daughter (and perhaps other family members) arrived after he was settled in the USA, likely in 1881.  Their names MIGHT be Martha and Caroline/Carrie.

I've not been able to locate any of them on the 1880 US Census or the 1881 UK Census, either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
BUMBY in Yorkshire (Leeds, Huddersfield, etc.) and Montana, and related names:  SUTTCLIFFE, BENTLEY, MEADLEY, BARSTOW/BASTOW, MARSDEN ....

BROOK in Yorkshire (Elland area) and Montana, and  related names:  CROSSLAND, OXLEY, ARMITAGE ....

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 1880 Census and UK to USA Ship Log Look-Up, please: BUMBY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 October 09 05:03 BST (UK) »
Would you have his approximate date of birth, please?  Have you found them on the 1900 census?  Do you know where they eventually settled in America?
--------
Looking at the bottom of your post, I'm guessing they settled in Montana.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline vcmt2008

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 October 09 05:27 BST (UK) »
According to an old family letter, John Henry was born 11 August 1844 in Leeds.  Additionally, there is a BMD listing the birth of a John Henry Bumby in Leeds, September Quarter 1844 (23 289).

I have him listed as "John Hy" on th 1851 and 1861 UK Census, but no later Census, UK or USA.

Yes, he did settle in Montana (how he got here is still unknown), and his Certificate of Naturalization was signed in Butte, Montana 27 March 1890.  He was still in the area in 1893, according to his father's obituary, but I've not found him in the 1890 US Census or the 1891 UK Census.

We assume he (and possibly a wife) returned to England once his family ties in the USA dwindled, but cannot find the ship log that takes him back to the UK...

Thanks for any and all help!
BUMBY in Yorkshire (Leeds, Huddersfield, etc.) and Montana, and related names:  SUTTCLIFFE, BENTLEY, MEADLEY, BARSTOW/BASTOW, MARSDEN ....

BROOK in Yorkshire (Elland area) and Montana, and  related names:  CROSSLAND, OXLEY, ARMITAGE ....

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 October 09 05:43 BST (UK) »
Can you find his parents in 1871?  Were his parents both born in England, please?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 October 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
I don't see him in 1880.  I also tried in 1900.  Is there a reason why you think he immigrated between 1879 and 1881?  I can try a search for him in 1880, with no surname, but with such a common first name, it will be difficult.

The more information we have, would make the search easier.  Some of the search options for 1880 include: first name, birthplace, estimated birth year, mother's and father's birthplace, occupation, residence (including state, county and township).

There are very limited 1890 US census returns, due to a fire.

If he arrived c1880 he may not have gone directly to Montana.  If he arrived in America prior to the 1880 census, he could be residing in any state.

I don't see "Caroline" or "Carrie", living in Butte in 1900.

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:30 BST (UK) »
In an obituary for J. Henry Longmaid in the Independent newspaper in Helen, Montana dated February 18, 1930 there is a mention of Caroline Bumby:

"In 1887, Mr. Longmaid was married to Caroline Bumby of Dillon, who passed away during that year."

Davey ... Fowler ... Jones ... Morrow ...

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:33 BST (UK) »
The Daily Miner, February 7, 1885 Butte, Montana

"Mr. Bumby, of the firm of Bumby & Kirby, arrived from Silver Star yesterday and will return today.  He reports the town as flourishing."

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:58 BST (UK) »
I looked up the firm of Bumby & Kirby and found them listed as merchants in an advertising directory in Silver Star, Montana 1883-1884

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:58 BST (UK) »
Were his paretns William and Sarah Bumby?
If so
1873 June Liverpool to NY Ship SS Algeria
William Bumby 50
Sarah 50
Sutcliffe 26
Walter 21
Jane Ann 19
Helen S 16
This family came from Leeds and Huddersfield on the 1851/61 census with John Henry son living with them

1873 September Ship Egypt Liverpool to NY
John Bumby 30
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright