Author Topic: 1880 Census and UK to USA Ship Log Look-Up, please: BUMBY  (Read 6109 times)

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
Re: 1880 Census and UK to USA Ship Log Look-Up, please: BUMBY
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 October 09 19:57 BST (UK) »
Ooops! sorry about the Brumby, thanks for picking up on it
Lisa.
At least I got the Martha and Carrie right - I hope  :D
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 October 09 20:21 BST (UK) »
Su, I thought you did a wonderful job, and it is helping me look for the family in America.  ;D

Something to keep in mind...the Brumby passenger list could still be John.  Someone could have misunderstood his name.  If he was in the states prior to 1880, he could have been an American citizen by 1880.

Also, he wasn't on the 1881 census that Su found, so he must have been somewhere, eh?  (In America?)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 04 October 09 20:23 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure what this is referencing, but posting in case someone else knows:
http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/schellens/other3.htm
(Entry for Bumby, 1880.)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline vcmt2008

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 02:36 BST (UK) »
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Burnley, Brumby=Bumby.  I NEVER would have considered that!

Thanks for all of your work in finding how John Henry, Martha and Carrie Bumby came to the USA!  The other great info you all found have given me several places I'm eager to do a bit more digging (including the rather random link to sfgenealogy.com that you provided, Lisa in California!)

One more QUESTION:  Was there a woman on the 19 September 1881 Arizona, listed as a spinster with the first name of Mary?  I have an old letter from John Henry's father, William Bumby, that says, "...Albert [Brook, a grandson of William Bumby] married the young lady that came with Martha...."  I have an Albert Brook and wife Mary, but no Maiden Name listed.  Mary died at the age of 33 years 11 mo on 29 September 1889.  Perhaps a single young lady (born approx. 1855, and about the age of 26 in 1881) was a travelling companion to Martha Bumby on the Arizona?  I would appreciate the names of any "spinsters" aboard that ship.

RootsChatters RULE!
BUMBY in Yorkshire (Leeds, Huddersfield, etc.) and Montana, and related names:  SUTTCLIFFE, BENTLEY, MEADLEY, BARSTOW/BASTOW, MARSDEN ....

BROOK in Yorkshire (Elland area) and Montana, and  related names:  CROSSLAND, OXLEY, ARMITAGE ....

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 05:38 BST (UK) »
Listed directly under Mrs Martha Bumby and Miss Carrie ", is Miss Mary Ayre, age 25, spinster, born England.

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 15:51 BST (UK) »
Glad to have been able to help, but don't forget the John Brumby might not be the correct person on the Arizona in 1880 as Lisa pointed out.
Do you know when Martha died?  Or when John Henry died?

As Lisa said the 1890 census was badly burned and the remaining census doesn't seem to include Montana.

I found William and Sarah in Fish Creek Montana in 1880, but you probably already have that.
What year and where did William and Sarah die?
Do you know where Sutcliffe, Joseph, Walter, Jane Ann and Sarah H ended up?
I started going through Butte Montana 1900 District by District, but it's a long job. 

Have you any other information on John Henry and Martha around that time that might help?
Bates Hindley Lancs
Cunliffe Hindley
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs

Offline vcmt2008

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 09 October 09 15:52 BST (UK) »
Death of John Henry Bumby was in England:  BMD June 1908 Stockport 8a 58
Death of Martha Bumby was in England in 1907.  Both are buried in Norbury Parish, Stockport, Cheshire (just outside Manchester).

They obviously left the USA at some time and decided to settle again in England...  But the route they took back (probably together THIS time) is unknown...

I'll search a bit on Miss Mary Ayre as a possibility.  THANK YOU!
BUMBY in Yorkshire (Leeds, Huddersfield, etc.) and Montana, and related names:  SUTTCLIFFE, BENTLEY, MEADLEY, BARSTOW/BASTOW, MARSDEN ....

BROOK in Yorkshire (Elland area) and Montana, and  related names:  CROSSLAND, OXLEY, ARMITAGE ....

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 09 October 09 20:23 BST (UK) »
I've fund them in 1901 UK
If you had said they had died here in 1907 and 1908 earlier it would have been a lot easier to find them (thank goodness I didn't trail through Butte 1900  ::) :D
It always helps to give as much info as possible so we can follow forwards or backwards - in this case backwards  ;) ;D

1901 RG13/3691 Folio 175 pg 33
Levenshulme Parliamentary Division Stretford
11 Beech Range
John H. Bundy (sic) Head married 56 solicitors law clerk b.Leeds Yorkshire
Martha Bundy (sic) married 58 born Huddersfield

I still haven't found them on a passenger list, even though they must be there somewhere.

If he was still in Butte in 1893 then it must have been after that and before 1901.  I wonder if they were still there when Caroline died in 1897

I'll keep looking as it is driving me nuts knowing they must be there somewhere. 

Kind regards
Su
Bates Hindley Lancs
Cunliffe Hindley
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs

Offline WombleLondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 January 24 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Holly,

I've recently started looking through my Great Granny's family tree information and think i can shed some light on this post.

I'm descended from a John Bumby III, who I think is referred to in some of your searches. My records show John Bumby III born in Leeds, 1840; married to Sarah Ellen Whitaker (1860?) and died in Leeds in 1873.

His parents were John Bumby II, who I believe was born in 30 Aug 1812; Married Susan Asquith (1833) and died in 2 Nov 1812. I believe this John Bumby II had a brother called William, who had a son, Sam that emigrated to Montana. There is a note about Sam emigrating for the gold rush but took to farming.

I have a note that 'Uncle C' was in touch with Sam and there were letters back and forth, I believe Uncle C would be Cuthbert, a son of John Bumby III. I've not seen these letters yet though.

Lisa in California:   Perhaps the following will give you another way to search:  He was born in Leeds, Yorkshire, England in 1844.  His father, William Bumby, was born in Bradford, Yorkshire and his mother, Sarah Sutcliffe Bumby, was born in Tyersall., Yorkshire.  His father was listed as a "coal merchant" in 1861 and 1871.  In 1861, John Henry was listed as an "office clerk."

I'm not sure the above about John Bumby having a father called William Bumby?

I'm also not sure on who Mrs Martha Bumby and Miss Carrie Bumby are? Would be interesting to see if you have traced them into our tree at some point?

The note I have found that might shed some light is that, In 1872, John Bumby III planned to go join his cousin, Sam in Montana, farming, as hemp? a good life for his sons, + perhaps Brother. But in 1873 he died, a month before joining Sam

I've reached out to you to see if we can swap notes.

Regards

Jack