Author Topic: Kilner in Denby and a 1841 census look up please  (Read 11029 times)

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kilner in Denby and a 1841 census look up please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 November 10 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you; this makes sense. The ages of children up to the age of 15 were supposed to be given on the 1841 census but the ages of everyone over the age of 15 ws given to the lowest 5 years.

I think you have found the right family as John Winterbottom was one of the possibilities for Mary Kilner's marriage in 1839.

Hannah was born in 1823 so 19 in 1841 is correct.
Harriet was born in 1827 so 14 in 1841 is correct.
Ruth was born in 1832 so 10 in 1841 is correct.
I believe Peter was born in the 1830s so 5 in 1841 is quite feasible.

The only missing child is Mary Anne but she may have died.

I do not know the mother Mary's year of birth; what age did she give in the 1841 census?

I have sent you a PM as you have now made enough postings to be able to do so.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline araratgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
hi, harriett is my ggmother she married richard scholes,in halifax yorkshire1853 died in carisbrook vic aust 1901 richard died in carisbrook vic in 1895 they had a son borne in halifax in1854 before they came to aust this is my line can give more if you would like it.

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat

I was in contact with two ladies in Australia several years ago. Their email address must have changed as I have lost contact. When you have made enough posts to activate the personal message system - I think it is 3 - I shall PM you their names.

I have Richard Denton Scholes marrying Harriet Kilner at Halifax on 31 Jan 1853. Their first child, John Paul Scholes, was born (or baptised) at Halifax on 13 Aug 1854 and the family then went to Australia some time before 1859.

I have the following information on the family:

Richard Denton Scholes, born ca 1832, died in Carisbrook, Vic on 18 Apr 1895.
Harriet Scholes, born 1827, on Zante, Ionian Islands, died in Carisbrook, Vic on 26 Dec 1901.

John Paul Scholes married Janet Smith at Carisbrook, Vic on 16 Jan 1878. I know nothing else of this family other than John died on 13 Jul 1909 at Bridgewater, Vic.

An Unnamed Infant, born and died in 1859, at Carisbrook, Vic.

Mary Ann Scholes, born (or baptised) on 12 Jun 1860 at Carisbrook, Vic. She married at James Swale around 1881 at Carisbrook, Vic. He must have died as Mary Ann subsequently married William Hutchison around 1913. I know nothing else of this family other than Mary Ann died 9 Jun 1941 at Inglewood, Vic.

Hannah Maria Scholes, born (or baptised) on 2 Apr 1864 at Carisbrook, Vic. She married Walter Warren on 12 May 1885 at Carisbrook, Vic. I have some information on the descendants of their children Martha Ethel and Arthur Richard. Hannah Maria died on 31 Jan 1931 at Brunswick, Vic.

Arthur Scholes, born (or baptised) on 18 Jun 1865 at Carisbrook, Vic. He married Ada Rosina Buxton around 1889 at Fitzroy, Vic. I know nothing else of this family other than Arthur died on 11 Jun 1934 at Horsham, Vic.

Martha Elizabeth Scholes, born around 1868 at Carisbrook, Vic. She married Paul Williams 30 Jan 1902 somewhere in Vic. Again, I know nothing else of this family other than Martha Elizabeth died on 17 Sep 1915 at died in Carisbrook, Vic.

I should be very interested if you could fill in any gaps.

I have Harriet Kilner's ancestry back to her grandfather Abraham Kilner and a lot of information on the descendants of Abraham Kilner which I am quite happy to share with you if you don't already have it.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline araratgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 April 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
thank you for your message, can fill in alot of harriett &richards children and there children,
john paul &janet children my ggrandfather.john richard b 1879 my grandfather (m) kathleen kelly,(ch)john james kelly, my father.
james anderson b1880-d1884
 arthur denton 1882- m1918 ruby jane watts, (d)1972
thomas kilner-1884-m 1909 ludina morris (d1961
harriett marion -1886-1914 charles perry(d1977.
frank -1888-(d1964 ?
agnes -1889 (d1911
charles henry -1892-m1915 alice watts sister to ruby
walter smith-1895(d1932
william henry-1897(d1897
annne -1899
MARYANN -m james swale 1881 4 chilren -m william hutchison-1913 will send more tomorrow

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 07:57 BST (UK) »
I sent you a PM several days ago. Did you get it as you have only made two posts?

Offline Aussiebead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 February 14 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Following up on Scholes, I am looking for any information the origins  of James Richard (Tiger) Scholes, 1890-1963 who was the local mounted policeman in Bendigo, Vic Australia.  Married to Ethel Mary Sellwood.
My husband is a grandson of James Richard (Tiger) Scholes

Thanks

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 February 14 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have no information on later generations. However, if you can obtain a birth certificate for James Richard Scholes then I shall be able to place him in the family.

Interestingly, Thomas Kilner Scholes was a policeman in Bendigo.

Offline Aussiebead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 February 14 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your info.
Will try to obtain the birth certificate, so that we can follow back from there
Very interested in this.

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 22 February 14 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am also in contact with Elizajan.
Richard Denton Scholes is not a blood relative so I have not researched his ancestors. My interest is in the Kilners and I do have a lot of information on them.
I shall do what I can to help.