Author Topic: Banbury Quakers - Where were they buried?  (Read 11188 times)

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
Re: Banbury Quakers - Where were they buried?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 December 09 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Redroger.

You are very wise not to tempt fate with your pc. And I'm not going to tempt it by saying I haven't had a repeat of the scam since yesterday......oops!

Watch out for it though and be aware that it looks for all the world like a security notification from Microsoft Windows. The tell-tale sign is in the top right-hand corner; no red box with a white cross. You can't even get rid of it by closing it from the box at the bottom of the screen (can't, for the life of me, think what they call it).
Just shut your computer down, or do a restart, immediately. All being well, it won't get the chance to do any harm.

Anyway, re the Quakers of Banbury, we suspect my wifes' rellies may have ended up in a little village burial ground about five miles from Banbury, called Sibford Gower. We're hopeful of gaining a contact for there as the folks we're looking for came from a village between Sibford and Banbury.There were also rellies in Whitney but not sure if they were Quakers.

One thing we did find whilst in the area earlier this year, was the loss of most of the detail from the headstones. They appear to have been carved in Cotswold stone (the lovely warm, yellowish stone from which many of the buildings are constructed). Unfortunately it does not seem to weather very well with the result that the M.I.'s are, to a great extent, lost.

But thanks again for your help and we wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Regards, David.
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 December 09 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steph.

Many thanks indeed for the registry entries for Whitney Quakers. That'll keep my wife busy for a while cross-matching. We're not sure if her Whitney rellies were in fact Quakers, but she may find something that fits.  The ones that she does know were Quakers, seem to have come from the Sibford Gower side of Banbury and strangely, when they eventually moved upto Yorkshire C1900, the Quaker link dissappears.

Anyway Steph, many thanks again for your interest and efforts and we hope you have a Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.

Regards, David.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 December 09 15:42 GMT (UK) »
David, Where natural stone has been used for whatever purpose it has become very liable to damage from weathering, often acid rain if it is down wind from a power station. Both York Minster and Lincoln cathedral have sustained major damage in this way; in the case of Lincoln I believe the cathedral suffered more damage since the late 1950s when West Burton, Cottam etc. power stations opened, than in the previous 800 years.Makes you think too, what is it doing to our insides?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline kathpak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Witney Quaker regs from OFHS
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Steph, I'm descended from the Rutter-Fardon marriage you list, so this surrounding detail is very interesting.

Katherine

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 11:59 GMT (UK) »
David, Missed the point in your earlier post that they moved to Yorkshire c1900. Doncaster archive has the Quaker records up to the closure of the cemetary, so is it worth a check maybe?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Redroger.

They moved up to the Cleckheaton area so we're hoping the West Yorkshire Archive Service at Wakefield will have the burial records. Having said that, they seem to have abandoned the Quaker religion shortly after their arrival in Yorkshire.

Sort of backs up the southern ascertion that 'them up north' are a bad influence ;D ;D   ;)

David

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 13:52 GMT (UK) »
David, the expression about thin ice springs to mind. Don't know how you can say that when there was a Quaker graveyard at Doncaster until the 1930s. :) :o

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Heh,heh,

But Doncaster is in SOUTH Yorkshire............ ;) ;)    ;D

Serious note;

it's still worth a look. :)

David

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 February 10 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Well worth it since I believe the graveyard accepted Quaker burials on a sub regional basis.