Author Topic: "Page not found" errors on Ancestry this weekend ?  (Read 9488 times)

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Page not found" errors on Ancestry this weekend ?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 08 October 09 22:37 BST (UK) »

In the end, going into the IE settings and deleting all the cookie and cached pages got rid of the problem.  I was loathed to do that, because I would lose my browser history and would lose auto-login to many of the sites I visit, but it was inevitable in the end.

Couldn't you have just deleted Ancestry's cookies?  Occasionally I sort through my cookies and delete the ones that look dodgy, or those that begin with ad., or for a specific website which I want to reset a new one. I do have all my passwords for various sites written down in a notebook, but it's a real pain logging in to them all again.

:)
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 09 October 09 12:18 BST (UK) »

In the end, going into the IE settings and deleting all the cookie and cached pages got rid of the problem.  I was loathed to do that, because I would lose my browser history and would lose auto-login to many of the sites I visit, but it was inevitable in the end.

Couldn't you have just deleted Ancestry's cookies?  Occasionally I sort through my cookies and delete the ones that look dodgy, or those that begin with ad., or for a specific website which I want to reset a new one. I do have all my passwords for various sites written down in a notebook, but it's a real pain logging in to them all again.

:)

I don't think it was the cookies causing the problem.  I think it was the cached web pages, but it doesn't hurt to have a clearout once in a while.  I think I had over 1000 cookies in the cookies folder.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 09 October 09 20:36 BST (UK) »
I think I had over 1000 cookies in the cookies folder.

It sounds as if you need to use a program which will delete these for you. As a Firefox user I use an add-on called CookieCuller, you tell it which cookies you want to keep, for example any for Ancestry, roots and the like and everything else will get deleting when you close Firefox and it is job done. There are plenty of stand alone programs that will do this and clear your cache for you.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)