Author Topic: Anyone know Cheveley?  (Read 9310 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know Cheveley?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 October 09 21:28 BST (UK) »
Correction _ death of Alfred should read pre September 1940

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 October 09 21:55 BST (UK) »

Hi John,

I don't think you should discount the Alfred that died in 1921 as being the husband of Alice just yet!  I appreciate that the age difference would have been considerable.

In my 1930/31 directory it is Alice listed at 4 Jesus Lane not Alfred, although if it were a University lodging house (and many were in Jesus Lane) this would not be unusual as it was often the woman that ran them.

Also in the 1911 census Alfred born circa 1864 is a builder's fitter, half matching the description on Douglas' marriage entry.  He was married to an Elizabeth and had a family, I can send you details if you don't have access and if you think it applicable.

An Elizabeth Rattle was buried Chevely in 1916 aged 53, wife of A (it does not give his full name on the transcript)

Perhaps you could post on the Suffolk board to see if anyone has access to the Parish Reg to get the age of Alfred when he married Alice in 1917.

Anyway I will leave this with you but think it worth bearing in mind.

Selina

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • It's Déjà vu, all over again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 October 09 18:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Selina,

I must admit that you present quite a convincing argument here  ;) ;)

The Elizabeth who died in 1916 aged 53 fits exactly to that of Elizabeth Garnham who married Alfred  in 1885...

... and the bmd record shows Douglas's mother's surname as Last.

If you have the 1911 census entry to hand then that would be appreciated, but don't buy it just on my account.

Yep, you idea about the Suffolk board is good, many many thanks for all your help.

John
Researching: Reffell, Rattle, Summerhayes, Dane, Masset, Burchatt & Leshley... & Jones!

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 October 09 19:22 BST (UK) »
Sent you a p.m. John.

Selina

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 08:49 BST (UK) »
Well Selina, it looks like you were right  :D

I got to the Principle Probate Registry in Holborn yesterday just too late to get Alfred's will on a one hour service. But I ordered it and will be sent by post (how long that will take is anyone's guess at the moment ???)

However the entry in the Calender book showed Alice Jane's name, so i am very hopefull now...

Thanks once again - John
Researching: Reffell, Rattle, Summerhayes, Dane, Masset, Burchatt & Leshley... & Jones!

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 11:50 BST (UK) »
Good idea to look for a Will, I often forget that.

Looks like it will provide an answer regarding the marriage.  Hope you don't have to wait to long is suspense!

I meant to ask if you wanted all the bapts, marrs and burs from the Cheveley register?  Also it looks like the son of Alice and Alfred stayed in Cambridge and died there in 2002 (expect you have Ancestry?)  He is in Kelly's until their last edition in 1975 and I could let you have the address if it is of any interest.

Selina

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 16:50 BST (UK) »
The only Rattle entriesthat I have for Cheveney are from your good self; namely the baptism of Alfred Lancelot. I would appreciate the others but only if it is convenient.

Unfortunately i have no Cambridge resources as all my lot are from either London or Suffolk.

I am now thinking that there may be a bigger family connection here; I have just found that Alice Jane's mother was a GARNHAM from Suffolk, as was Alfred's first wife  :o

I am trying to find a connection...

Thanks once again - John

Offline Uncle Reff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 October 09 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes Selina, you were spot on  :D :D

I have just received Alfred's will though the post, quite simply he left everything to his wife Alice Jane.

I am so grateful for your help and shall revise the website accordingly.

John

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

Thank you very much for letting me know the outcome of that.  It is always nice to know that things have  been proved one way or another!  Makes it all worthwhile.

Will get back to you with Reg details, just been a bit busy as have found a family of mine from Hunts on the LMA records on Ancestry plus some others of a close relative.

Also found another connection via a family tree on A - it never rains but it pours, LOL!

Selina