Author Topic: waiting for certificate  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Tamsin19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: waiting for certificate
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 October 09 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Manus,
Of course I don't mind you asking. I'm afraid I've only been doing this myself recently, and the letter from Wexford Births, Marriages and Deaths therefore only arrived a couple of days ago (I first wrote about a week ago). However, they say that they accept payment by credit card, bank draft or postal order. They were able to find 7 certificates for me (Dublin could only find 3) and their total comes to 43 euros, including research costs. Here's the procedure I have followed with them so far:
I wrote to them at the address given before (after phoning them), just giving as much info as possible.
They then sent my letter back to me (heavily annotated) and beside each name and date I had given them, they had written whether or not they could find it. Where they had been successful, they had written an ID/Reference number beside the name. They asked me to send this letter back to them again, telling them which (of the certificates found) I wished to purchase (they need the letter for the ID numbers).
Payment can be made by credit card, bank draft or postal order. I requested a search for a total of 7 certificates (in Dublin, they could only find 3). The total came to 43 euros, including the research fees.

This is the point I have got up to. I wrote on the 14th of October and the letter arrived on Saturday. Since I'm not keen on giving out credit card details by post, I'm going to phone them (with the ID numbers) and try to order them that way, hopefully tomorrow (work permitting) or, if not, Wednesday. Once I have, I'll send you a post to let you know if they'll take orders over the phone.
Tamsin

Offline Tamsin19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 October 09 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Manus - meant to mention something else. I notice that the first certificate you sent for was from 1874? Just to say that the Wexford address will only be able to help for things after civil registration was enforced in the 1860s - if you want any older certificates, they probably won't be able to help you.

Offline manus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tamsin

I will wait and see how you get on thank you for your help

Regards Manus

Offline Tamsin19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Manus, we called Wexford today and ordered the certificates by credit card over the phone - they were happy to take the order this way and promised to send them out tomorrow. It's been a very good, helpful service so far and very quick. The earliest certificate we have ordered is from 1891.
Tamsin

Offline manus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tasmin

Thats good new's I will give them a call.  Thank you for all your help.

Rrgards Manus

Offline Tamsin19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Glad to have been of help - lots of luck with your search and I hope you get good results!
Tamsin