Author Topic: Denbighshire interests: Wynne, Williams, Jones  (Read 13991 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Denbighshire interests: Wynne, Williams, Jones
« on: Thursday 06 May 04 12:38 BST (UK) »
I thought I’d post my Denbs. interests, in the hope that someone out there recognises a common name from their research.

Wynne:
Robert Wynne: 1869 – 1936, born in Gwytherin or Llangernyw; Farmer in Ty’n y Morfa (Talacre), Llangwstennin, Bwlch Farm (Deganwy); Glan Morfa (Llandudno Junction)
Married: Hannah Jones (see below)
Children: Gaynor (see below), Ellen, John, Florence, Violet, Margaret and Robert Henry.
Roberts parents: (Robert) Humphrey Wynne, b: ca. 1830 and Anne Hughes, b: 1838 in Llangernyw [Robert was his fathers name on the marriage cert.; Humphrey was the name on the 71 census]
Humphrey and Annes children: Robert Henry, Mary (b 1868), and Sarah (b:1872) all in Llangernyw.

Jones:
Hannah Jones b: 1869 in Llansanffraid, Glan Conwy, d: 20.12.1945, buried in Bron-y-Nant, Mochdre
Parents: John Morris Jones (b 1836 in Llansanffraid), occ.: mariner and Gaynor Davies b: 1820 in Conwy. John was Gaynors second husband, the first (Mr. Davies) was a shoemaker in Llansanffraid.
Johns mother: Jane (Jones) was a lodging house keeper in llansanffraid.

Williams:
Richard Williams, born 1850 in Llanllyfni, Caerns, married Grace from Eglwysbach and moved to Dolau farm nr. Llangernyw. He died in 1922.
Their children:
Elis Owen, b: 1889, farmed Pyllau on the Great Orme, Llandudno, d: 06.03.1959, m: Gaynor Wynne
Griffith, Elizabeth, William, Nell, Jenny, Margaret and Grace

Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline hazelmoore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Denbighshire interests: Wynne, Williams, Jones
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 July 04 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hello!
Your people are (were!) just round the corner from mine!  My Gt. Gt. Grandfather Thomas Williams was born 1811 at Llandrillo and married Jane Roberts b. 1811 at Eglwys Bach.  All their children - 9 of them - were born at Llansanffraid and in 1881 Thomas and Jane were at Dolwyd Bach (near Mochdre) with their youngest son Owen b. 1854 and wife Jane (née Roberts) plus 2 Granddaughters, Elizabeth and Jane.  Some settled in Llendeiniolen and St. Asaph.  I also had a cousin at Tyn y Coed Farm at Glan Conwy.  If you think there may be some link let me know and I'll give you more dates!
Hazel
Goalen (Lancs., London, Leith)
Williams (Llansanffraid, Denbighs and Bala, Merionethshire)
Black (Northumberland)
Moore (London, Kent & Warwicks.)
Kibble, Dallaway, Miller, Batten
Herring, Rossiter, Rochford

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 July 04 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Hazelmoore,

none of those names ring a bell at the moment, but with so many Williams and Jones in the same area, I've not managed to go back further than 1820 on my Llansanffraid line. Dolwyd Bach is just round the corner from Llansanffraid, but as you say, belongs to Mochdre.

Eglwysbach could be promising, but I've only got unconfirmed info at the moment and that only goes back to the 1870s. I've had much more luck with my mid walian lot up to now.

That said, Llansanffraid was only a very small village, so the chances of a connection should be quite good.

I'd love to have a bit more info, perhaps some of my stuff will then slot into place?!?!? :)

D ap D

Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline hazelmoore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 July 04 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Dewi,
When I get my ideas together I'll send you a list of all my Williams!
Hazel
Black (Northumberland)

Offline hazelmoore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 July 04 12:55 BST (UK) »
I finally got it right and will get rid of the attachment!!
Hazel   :)

WILLIAMS

Parents: Thomas WILLIAMS b. 1811 Llandrillo and Jane ROBERTS b.1811 Llanrwst

William       b. 20.8.1837 Llansanffraid      (2nd son)

Thomas         b. 21.8.1839      "         (3rd son)      d.1840?

Thomas         b.21.6.1841      "         (4th son)   marr. Mary OWENS 31.12.1863 and had:

Jane         b.1865 Manchester      marr. MILLER Robert 1890

Mary (Polly)      b.1869         "      marr. DALLAWAY William Joshua 1899

Martha Ellen      b.1873      "      marr. MOORE Edward George 1902

William Ernest      b.1876      "      marr.    ?  Jun 1899

Edith May(Flossie)   b.1879      "      marr. KIBBLE John Robert 1903            

Evan         b.3.9.1843  Llansanffraid      (5th son)

David         b.25.12.1845     "         (6th son)

John         b.21.3.1848     "         (7th son)

Mary         b.7.12.1850     "

Owen         b.11.3.1854     "         (8th son)      marr. Jane  (Jones or Owens?)  June 1879 Llanrwst and had

Elizabeth      b.1880    Llansanffraid or Eglwys Fach

Jane (Jennie)      b.1881       "

Thomas (Tommy)      b.1884      "

Robert         b.1890   Maenan Caernarvons.

Black (Northumberland)

Offline slewi4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 06 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I also have these 3 names in the same area.
Jane (unknown) born circa 1786 Llansantffraid, married? (unknown) WYNNE, and had daughter Elizabeth WYNNE circa 1815 Eglwysbach.
Elizabeth married Evan WILLIAMS circa 1835, and had a daughter Anne WILLIAMS circa 1836 Eglwysbach.  Anne appears to be an only child
Anne married? Owen JONES, an Innkeeper, circa 1856 (no record yet found), and had 3 sons David Owen JONES circa 1857 Eglwysbach,  Evan JONES circa 1859 Eglwysbach, and Edwin JONES circa 1861 Eglwysbach.
All of the above came from Census records.
Sandra
England: Brown Kingscliffe NTH, Ellis Balsall WAR, Lewis Hereford HEF, Oliver Morpeth NBL, Wall Coventry/Balsall WAR, Watkins Eardisley/Clifford HEF
Ireland: Culhane Limerick; Doolan Clare
Wales: Lewis BRE/DEN, Jones Eglwysbach DEN

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 January 06 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

I have the PRs for Llansanffraid and Eglwysbach. I'll see if I can find your Jane / Wynne marraige in either of them. Unfortunately the PRs stop at 1813, so I won't be able to locate the birth of the daughter in 1815.

I also have an Owen Jones in Eglwysbach, but he was a farmer, not an innkeeper, and he married Grace, not Anne.
If only you'd posted 2 weeks earlier, I was in the cemetery at Eglwysbach, and made loads of discoveries, confirming a lot of information.

D
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 13:05 GMT (UK) »
slightly off tangent to the previous postings but I wonder if D ap D might help.
I have an Elinor Roberts born Llanrwst in 1784 who married a Griffith Williams (first child I am aware of born was Robert in 1812 born in Dolwyddelan). I always understood an Eglwysbach connection but have nothing concrete and wonder if it is possible to find Elinor's birth and possibly her marriage in the area. Even though the family then lived in the Dolwyddelan / Festiniog area a grandchild Mary was born to  Robert and a Margaret in Llanddoged which is nearby in 1840 confirming a connection.

thanks

Peterej
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline slewi4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi D ap D and other Jones/Wynne/Williams decendants,
To add to my recent posting, I've finally found Owen JONES in the 1861 Census RG9/4304/56/1 Occupation is listed as 'Victualler' not Innkeeper, aged 36yrs, born Eglwysbach. His wife Anne and 2 younger sons are with him, as is 'Jane Jones, Mother-in-law, Widow, 74yrs, House (---), born Llansantffraid'
I think that this Jane should be Jane Wynne, grandmother-in-law. The other details match the household in 1871 (RG10/5677/32/27).
Owen is not with his wife in the 1871 census, and by 1881 she is listed as a widow. I haven't found him in 1871 yet.
Jane's husband may be in the 1851 Census, but I haven't found that yet either.
Thanks for the offer to check the registers, I'm very interested to see what can be found.
Sandra
England: Brown Kingscliffe NTH, Ellis Balsall WAR, Lewis Hereford HEF, Oliver Morpeth NBL, Wall Coventry/Balsall WAR, Watkins Eardisley/Clifford HEF
Ireland: Culhane Limerick; Doolan Clare
Wales: Lewis BRE/DEN, Jones Eglwysbach DEN