Author Topic: Denbighshire interests: Wynne, Williams, Jones  (Read 13994 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Denbighshire interests: Wynne, Williams, Jones
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 January 06 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

found Jane Wynne in 1851. She was widowed, living with her daughter Elizabeth and her husband Evan. The name of the house is "Rhiw".

Ref HO107/2508; Folio 113; page 9

You'll have to try the 41 census to find her husband, I'm afraid.

Found Evan and Elizabeth in 61. Took a bit of finding. Evan was listed as being born in Frefrew, Carlow Ireland! they are with their grandson, David Owen Jones. Still at Rhiw.

I see Owen was in charge of "The Hand". We used to go there every now and again for a few beers.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Do any of you have HUGHES connections in Llansanffraid?  I'm trying to trace my cousin's family, and I've got as far as a William Hughes, b c1813 in Llansanffraid.  He was a shoemaker, and married Elizabeth from Llandrillo early 1830's.  Family later migrated to Lancashire.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 13:32 GMT (UK) »
No Hughes' in Llansanffraid I'm afraid. I can offer Jones, Davies or Roberts though.
My 4xgm was married to a John Davies, shoemaker in Llansanffraid. She later married my 4x gf, when John died. They would have been living at the same time.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 21:04 GMT (UK) »
My Gt. Gt. Grandfather Thomas Williams was born 1811 at Llandrillo and married Jane Roberts b. 1811 at Eglwys Bach.  All their children - 9 of them - were born at Llansanffraid and in 1881 Thomas and Jane were at Dolwyd Bach (near Mochdre) with their youngest son Owen b. 1854 and wife Jane (née Roberts) plus 2 Granddaughters, Elizabeth and Jane.  Some settled in Llendeiniolen and St. Asaph.

Hi Hazel,

I have some Williams from Llandeiniolen, wonder if there is a connection somewhere.

Earliest I have so far is Henry Williams b.18 Jul 1844, married Elizabeth Roberts on 27 May 1871 in Anglesey.  They had 10 children between 1872 and 1889 all born in Llandeiniolen.

Regards
Paul
FLOWERDEW - Norfolk, GUERIN - London, HAMER - Wales, MARUBBI - Wales/Italy, HODGES - Cheshire, NOBBS - Yarmouth, Norfolk, WILLIAMS - Caernarfonshire, WILSON - Glasgow, WOOLSEY - Norfolk

Offline hazelmoore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 August 06 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul,

I have only just seen your February post about Williams' in Llandeiniolen!!  My Williams that went there was John Henry b.28.3.1848 who married Elizabeth ? from Darowen Montgomershire and they had Elizabeth Jane in 1883.  She was born in Llandeiniolen.  I'm afraid I can't find their Marriage - there are just too many Williams' about!

Cheers,

Hazel
Goalen (Lancs., London, Leith)
Williams (Llansanffraid, Denbighs and Bala, Merionethshire)
Black (Northumberland)
Moore (London, Kent & Warwicks.)
Kibble, Dallaway, Miller, Batten
Herring, Rossiter, Rochford

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 August 06 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Hazel,

I don't have a match with any of those at the moment, but I will do some digging and see what comes up.

Paul
FLOWERDEW - Norfolk, GUERIN - London, HAMER - Wales, MARUBBI - Wales/Italy, HODGES - Cheshire, NOBBS - Yarmouth, Norfolk, WILLIAMS - Caernarfonshire, WILSON - Glasgow, WOOLSEY - Norfolk

Offline garethgriffiths

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member Gwynedd Cheshire Family History Societies
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 August 06 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hello everone in this thread, please allow me to make your day by posting this photo of David Jones and his family standing outside The Hand Egwysbach where my ancestor William Griffiths worked as a stableboy circa 1861.  The postcard is dated 1914 with a message on the back.  I reckon this David Jones is the one mentioned in this thread.  I bought the pc at a fair in Chester last year so one would assume there are others available for advertising his business.

Right then - my long lost relative Richard Wallwork of Manchester and I are tracing our Catherine Jones family from Bron y Feriaeth, she married our John Griffiths 30 Oct 1813, he came from Carnarvon.  She was from Llansanfraidd, Glan Conwy, anything appreciated that may help us to compare?

Hope the image loads OK.
regards Gareth
GRIFFITHS - Llandudno/Eglwysbach/Glan Conwy/BetwsYCoed/Llanbeblig/Caernarvon
BLEYTHIN - Llanbeblig
EVANS - Eglwysbach
JONES - Conwy/Llanrwst/TalYBont/Rowen
KEMP - Middlesbrough/Southport/Ainderby Quernhow/Kilburn/Sutton/North Riding
BONNER - Middlesbrough/Walsall/Escombe/South Hylton/Westoning, SMITH
TAYLOR/ORTH - Middlesbrough/Southport
TURNOCK - StokeOnTrent Goldenhill, Odd Rode/Astbury, Cheshire
TUNSTALL/WILCOX/DOYLE/BOYLE - Stoke on Trent (Goldenhill)
HARP - Fenton
ROGERS/STANTON - Chester

Offline slewi4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gareth,
It was my Owen Jones who was innkeeper of the Hand Inn in 1861. His son David Owen Jones became a gamekeeper. There were 2 other sons, but it appears that neither married.
From 1871-91 the Hand Inn was run by John Lewis. Owen seems to have diasppeared some time before 1871- he isn't buried locally, and his wife is listed as married in 1871, but widowed in 1881. 
But although it seems unlikely that the David in the postcard is mine, I'm very grateful for the photograph of the pub.
Thank you very much
Sandra
England: Brown Kingscliffe NTH, Ellis Balsall WAR, Lewis Hereford HEF, Oliver Morpeth NBL, Wall Coventry/Balsall WAR, Watkins Eardisley/Clifford HEF
Ireland: Culhane Limerick; Doolan Clare
Wales: Lewis BRE/DEN, Jones Eglwysbach DEN

Offline garethgriffiths

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member Gwynedd Cheshire Family History Societies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 13:24 BST (UK) »
Sandra, heres a photo taken a year ago approx, I will be there this Thursday.
regards Gareth
GRIFFITHS - Llandudno/Eglwysbach/Glan Conwy/BetwsYCoed/Llanbeblig/Caernarvon
BLEYTHIN - Llanbeblig
EVANS - Eglwysbach
JONES - Conwy/Llanrwst/TalYBont/Rowen
KEMP - Middlesbrough/Southport/Ainderby Quernhow/Kilburn/Sutton/North Riding
BONNER - Middlesbrough/Walsall/Escombe/South Hylton/Westoning, SMITH
TAYLOR/ORTH - Middlesbrough/Southport
TURNOCK - StokeOnTrent Goldenhill, Odd Rode/Astbury, Cheshire
TUNSTALL/WILCOX/DOYLE/BOYLE - Stoke on Trent (Goldenhill)
HARP - Fenton
ROGERS/STANTON - Chester