Author Topic: DELLICOTT & WATTS familes of Trowbridge  (Read 3383 times)

Offline blackcountry man

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DELLICOTT & WATTS familes of Trowbridge
« on: Tuesday 06 October 09 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

My x6 Great Grandfather was Thomas Dellicott, Derricott, Derrycourt and Delicourt (God knows which is correct) born 1793 Trowbridge, Wiltshire who married in 1813 in Trowbridge  Mary Watts born 1796 Trowbridge, Wiltshire.

I do know Thomas, Mary and family moved to the Black Country, Staffordshire around 1836 but the surname is mis spelt so many times on documents that I've no idea what the surname was originally. It's been spelt Derricott, Derrycourt, Delicourt and Dellicott. All the family from the late 1860's seemed to start to use the name Dellicott and that surname seemed to have stuck.

I've never heard of any of these surnames before is anyone of them a local Wiltshire name or is it foreign, which would be the correct spelling and what does the surname mean.

Does anyone have any Watts or Derricott, Derrycourt, Delicourt and Dellicott from Wiltshire in their family tree.

Any help would be fantastic because I'm so  :o :o :o

Kind regards
Adrian

Offline Delicate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DELLICOTT & WATTS familes of Trowbridge
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 October 09 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adrian,

I think we may have corresponded about this family before via another Family History website. It was a few years ago, so I guess we might both have made further progress with our research since then. I'd love to hear from you! I certainly have a large number of Delicates, Dellicotts, Dilekets,  Gelicuts, Jelicots and numerous other variations from Wiltshire in my family tree! My earliest find in Wiltshire dates back to the burial of a Randolf Gelicot in 1594. My research leads me to believe that the surname in Wiltshire began spelt with a "G" or a "J" and gradually evolved into a "D". I guess it was to do with the Wiltshire dialect, though my own immediate branch hails fro North Yorkshire, where it appears to have started as "Delicate" in the early 1600s.

Regards,

Sue Tovey [née DELICATE]

Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Offline blackcountry man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 October 09 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I'm so pleased to hear from you because I had a sinking feeling I was the only one researching this surname and after your post I don't feel so alone anymore ;D

It's only in the past month I've actually got anywhere with my research with my Dellicott family and I've got so addicted to researching this surname and family.

I've just found out that my x Grt Grandfather Thomas Dellicott born abt 1794 was a soldier in the 66th Regiment of foot (mainly recruited from Wiltshire & Berkshire) and was born in Banff, Scotland :o and on the census was listed Chelsea pensioner. Interesting I found Peter Delacourt born abt 1799 Scotland who was also listed Chelsea pensioner whos family stayed on in Scotland. His family are the only Delacourts mentioned on the census from 1841 until 1901 in Scotland. I also found out Peter Delacourt's father was Joseph Delacourt another soldier of the 32nd Regiment of foot (mainly recruited around Cornwall) so I'm thinking Joseph may have been stationed in Scotland who married Rachel Wallace (sounds Scottish). It may only be a coincidence but two of my Thomas' children were named Rachel and Joseph which may have been after his parents?  I did also manage to find a marriage entry for Joseph Dellicott and Agnes Hutchison 1832 Scotland but couldn't find any mention of them on any census records. Peter Delacourt's family always kept the same spelling so this Joseph Dellicott maybe connected but isn't one of Peter's sons. 

Sue it seems from your research the surname dates back many many years to the Wiltshire area which is very interesting because I was thinking my families surname may have been Delacourt and the earliest I found was Arthur Delacourt married Alice Brice 1590 Salisbury, Wiltshire. The Delacourts seem to have originated from Jersey (maybe via France) with a number of them living in London and the South of England.

I'll send you my email address via private message and would love to discuss further however you seem to be much more advanced than me.

Kind regards
Adrian

Offline Delicate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 09 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adrian,

I'm a new member on this website, so I can read, but not send personal messages yet. I've sent a reply to your personal message to the email address you gave me. Hope it arrives safely.

Regards,

Sue

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 March 14 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi sue
I have found  my husband Bryan descends from a Mary Dallicott
mary's first husband was Edward Smith they had one child a Clara Smith b 1821 Coombe bisset
Mary's second husband was Phineas Newman they had two daughter's
Caroline b 1833 coombe bissett,Wiltshire
(Bryan's line) and
Eva Newman b 1835 coombe bissett, Wiltshire
Mary Dallicott was born 1799 west harnham,Wiltshire to a Mary Delicate father unknown!
I don't know much about the Dallicott/Delicate family
So any help is appreciated

Lisa

Offline Delicate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 April 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Good to hear from you! I do recognise the family you mention in your post. I'll check through my records and drop you a line later.

Regards,

Sue