Author Topic: William and Elizabeth CORK, Devon 1700's  (Read 3841 times)

Offline turfy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William and Elizabeth CORK, Devon 1700's
« on: Wednesday 07 October 09 18:42 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the marriage or further details of William and Elizabeth Cork of Devon.

Elizabeth was b. 1782 probably in Uffculme.
Elizabeth died in Uffculme 24 Sept 1876 at the age of 94.
William worked as a Mason. [I think he may have been born 13 Jun 1790 in Uffculme].

They had a son William Cork b. 1811 in Uffculme and married to Maria Gill on 22 May 1838 in Uffculme.

Other Children of William and Elizabeth were -

Mary bap. 1820 Uffculme
Philip bap. 1820 Uffculme
John bap. 1823 Uffculme
Joseph bap. 1825 Uffculme
Charles bap. 1831 and born 1830 Uffculme
Sarah bap. 1831 and born 1828 Uffculme

[I think but am not sure that William's parent's were Philip and Sarah Cork, I have no details for them if so].

[I also think it possible that William was found guilty of Larceny in 1839 and sentenced to 10 yr. transportation].

Hope someone can help.
Many Thanks

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: William and Elizabeth CORK, Devon 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 October 09 14:33 BST (UK) »
The DFHS can provide marriage indices by surname 1754-1837 - but there is an OPC for the parish who will provide free look-ups - see http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Uffculme/index.html and scroll down to genealogy.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline turfy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 October 09 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi DOB7
Thanks for that - Barbara Roach the lady that provides that service for DFHS has been a big big help in getting me this far back with the Uffculme Corks but she doesn't have details of their marriage either.

I'm pretty certain now that is was William sentenced to Transportation in 1839 and that he never returned, at least not to Elizabeth (she lived until age 94 and died in Uffculme) and that Philip and Sarah are his parents. I'm stumped at the moment as to how to find Elizabeth's maiden name and parents - If anyone has any idea's on how to go about that I would be very grateful...

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 October 09 15:25 BST (UK) »
Barbara has Uffculme records available as part of the OPC project, but the marriage may not have taken place in Uffculme - hence my suggestion in obtaining the DFHS marriage indices which cover all parishes. I also note on the IGI that someone has made referencce to your William, spelling his surname as CORCK and also 'alias LOVEDAY'. Don't know how factual this is, but might be worth pursuing.
Ask the DFHS for COR*K to cover spelling variants.

Offline turfy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 October 09 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks again DOB7. I have just been looking through the DFHS website, I hadn't looked before - what a great site.
You seem to first have to ask for a quote for the indices, which I have just done.

Had not seen the 'Loveday' alias - I have no idea what that means, or how to pursue it?

Up until recently I have managed to keep making progress using mainly census records, now I'm back to 1800 and before it's getting harder - but also more interesting..

Any advice re, the alias would be much appreciated.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 October 09 17:11 BST (UK) »
Occasionally people would be known by two surnames - usually due to illegitimacy, but not always. I have a whole family of 'BOWDEN alias WILLIAMS'.
A Vincent BOWDEN married an Ann WILLIAMS in 1786. However, before their marriage they baptised 2 children:
"William, a base child of Ann WILLIAMS, born at Vincent BOWDEN's house in Brodsworthy, was baptized January tenth 1781. She says she was born at Breock in Cornwall and came from thence into this county."
Parish Registers, Meavy, 20 Sep 1782.
"John WILLIAMS another base child of Ann WILLIAMS baptised." (died in infancy)
The first child - William - was baptised William WILLIAMS and yet became known as William BOWDEN alias WILLIAMS on later Church register entries. One of his children was even baptised:
"28 Jan 1827, Meavy: BOWDEN John Bowden, son of William Williams & Mary, Labourer."
and his daughter's marriage entry reads:
26 Dec 1859.
"John William Lillycrap (of Almondsbury, Gloucester) to Mary Bowden alias Williams, father William Bowden alias Williams."

Try working that one out!
So, my advice would be to keep an open mind on the surname. If you don't strike lucky with the CORK name - try LOVEDAY.
By the way, I should have suggested COR*K* - I note some spellings are CORKE.

Offline turfy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 October 09 19:41 BST (UK) »
Heck, I can do without that DOB7 - but I will bear it in mind, thanks.........it's not helping that around 1790 in Uffculme it seems to me that every man and his dog was called William Cork, Corke, Corck - there seems to have been a whole village full of them....