Author Topic: john kelly (galway,ireland to new york 1922)  (Read 12562 times)

Offline ellie_k

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: john kelly (galway,ireland to new york 1922)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 October 09 00:52 BST (UK) »
LoL looks like many people left Tuam!! I've been there, its not so bad!! cant say I encountered any Wakefield's though!! I have John's daughters names, he had three in total so the other was probably born after 1930. do u know the girls ages then??
I'll log back on in the morning, its way past my bedtime!!!
Thanks so much again Lisa, night night.
JOHN KELLY-Galway/NewYork
SCHNEIDER/SNIDER-NewYork
CHRISTOPHER HAZEL-Cork/NewYork
CARROLLS/HAZELS-Bantry,Cork,Irl
BURKE-NewYork
KELLY-Galway,Irl
MCGEE-Mayo/Fermanagh,Irl

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 October 09 00:55 BST (UK) »
I've just sent a pm (giving information about the daughters from the census).  As I mentioned in the pm, I have to stop soon, as well.  Perhaps someone might be able to continue where I've left off.  ::)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline ellie_k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 October 09 00:58 BST (UK) »
I received the PM ;D  once again thank you so much for all your help, this is the furthest that anyone in my family has ever got trying to trace John, and it's all down to you  :) a huge thank you from all the Kellys!!!  ;D
SCHNEIDER/SNIDER-NewYork
BURKE-NewYork
KELLY-Galway,Irl
MCGEE-Mayo/Fermanagh,Irl

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 October 09 01:02 BST (UK) »
You are quite welcome, again.  Have a good night's sleep.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 October 09 06:57 BST (UK) »
I am not finding anything for the daughters.  Are you interested in the Burke's?

Herbert Burke has a WWI draft registration card.  He was born August 4, 1895 in Ballindine, Mayo, Ireland.  He was living at 209 E? 53 St, NY, NY.  He was a bartender, employed by George Siebolt??  Cannot read the address, looks like 321th St & 5 Ave.  Sorry.

He was single, tall, slender, blue eyes and blond hair.  Dated 1917.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 09 October 09 07:35 BST (UK) »
Registration card for WWII Draft:
John P. Kelly was born June 21, 1895 in County Galway, Ireland. His wife was Nora Kelly.  They lived at 22 St. Charles Pl, Bklyn, Kings Co., N.Y.   John owned a tavern at 282 "Flatback/Flatbuck" Ave, Bklyn.  He was 5'8 1/2", 165 pounds, brown eyes, black hair, dark complexion.

Dated April 25, 1942.

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 09 October 09 10:30 BST (UK) »
Well done Lisa, your powers of observation are wonderful  ;D
I saw the John Kelly Chauffeur with Railway but wasn't sure as I was looking for a fireman (aren't we all - in fact I married one, it's the uniform you know  ;D)
I just love reading these posts and find them fascinating.
Ellie you must be over the moon with all this information I know I would be.
Once you start looking for a family you get drawn in and want to find out more...what a thrilling hobby this is  :D
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline ellie_k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 09 October 09 22:04 BST (UK) »
Yep Su, Lisa has been brilliant!!! I've told my family and they cant believe how much info I've gotten in such a short space of time!

Lisa, we always thought the tavern was situated at 22 Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn. My dad visited this address when he was in New York in 2000 but low and behold, no pub!!  :D

Have you had any luck finding your relations in Tuam? My dad found Wakefields in Ballinasloe, not far from Tuam.
SCHNEIDER/SNIDER-NewYork
BURKE-NewYork
KELLY-Galway,Irl
MCGEE-Mayo/Fermanagh,Irl

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 09 October 09 22:58 BST (UK) »
Just a short note, as I am on break at work...

I will have another look at the card to double-check the address (or, perhaps someone else can).  It did look like a "k' at the end of the word, but perhaps the person misunderstood what John was saying.  There is a Flatbush Avenue in New York.
-------------
My Wakefield ancestor was supposedly born in Tuam.  She passed away at 105 years old (in Canada) and the Toronto newspaper printed an article about her life.  However, a couple of years ago I found a book that was published c1900 in America, listing Wakefields and where they ended up in North America.   My ancestor's family was described in this book.  Through additional research, I have discovered that other genealogists have stated my Wakefields were from Ballinasloe.  I cannot confirm nor deny this statement.  :-\   It will probably remain a mystery.   :'(

Have to get back...I unfortunately will not be back on the site until tomorrow night. 

I will catch up with pm's when I return.  ;)