Author Topic: john kelly (galway,ireland to new york 1922)  (Read 12563 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: john kelly (galway,ireland to new york 1922)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 October 09 00:21 BST (UK) »
Arriving in New York on 11 December 1922 on board the Celtic were John and Nora Kelly.

John was age 27, married, Farm Laborer, last lived in Ballindine.  Father-in-law was Patrick Bourbre, The Mountain, Ballindine, Ireland.  John was destined for New York, New York.

Nora, wife, was age 27, married,  Hsewife, with the same information as above, except it is noted Patrick was her father.

They were travelling to Sister-in-law Mrs. Sarah Woods, 209 East 53rd Street, New York, N.Y.  She is noted as s-i-l for both John and Nora.

John was 5'9", fresh complexion, black hair, brown eyes.  Nora was 5'4", fresh complexion, fair hair and grey eyes.  Both born Ballindine.

John's features don't match up to the prior immigration record.
----------
I found the information on one of the pay-sites (A...y).

You might be able to find it on Ellis Island.  I've never used that site, as my rellies arrived in Canada, or prior to Ellis Island.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline ellie_k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 October 09 00:24 BST (UK) »
This sounds more like my granduncle, it matches some of the info we have with regards to area he was from in Ireland, his wife and her father, and the fact he went to New York and not Boston. How do I go about finding his daughters?
JOHN KELLY-Galway/NewYork
SCHNEIDER/SNIDER-NewYork
CHRISTOPHER HAZEL-Cork/NewYork
CARROLLS/HAZELS-Bantry,Cork,Irl
BURKE-NewYork
KELLY-Galway,Irl
MCGEE-Mayo/Fermanagh,Irl

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 October 09 00:26 BST (UK) »
Just having a look around on the 1930 census for them.  So far, haven't found them.  Will continue to look (mostly in New York).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 October 09 00:27 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D

Will post in a moment.

Offline ellie_k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 October 09 00:32 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D
SCHNEIDER/SNIDER-NewYork
BURKE-NewYork
KELLY-Galway,Irl
MCGEE-Mayo/Fermanagh,Irl

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 October 09 00:36 BST (UK) »
Living in Brooklyn, Kings County, New York were
John Kelly, born c1897 in Ireland.  Living with him were his wife, Nora, and three daughters, including twin girls.  Will send their information by pm, due to privacy concerns.  John and Nora were married at age 24.  Both born in Irish Free State, as were their parents.  They both immigrated in 1922.  John was a Chauffeur, Railway Express Co.??

Living with this family were
Herbert Burke, brotherinlaw, age 32, married at age 29, immigrated 1913?, Waiter, Restaurant.
Delia Burke, sisterinlaw, age 33, married at age 30, immigrated 1921?.
John Burke, brotherinlaw, age 25, single.  Ticket Agent, Railroad, Immigrated 1921.
All were born in Irish Free State, as were their parents.

Living at 22 St. Charles Place.

More to follow in a minute.

Offline ellie_k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 October 09 00:39 BST (UK) »
Lisa I cant believe this! Its definitely them, they had twin girls and Nora had a sister called Delia. I know its sounds corny but im absolutley thrilled you've helped me so much (and a bit teary if I might add!). My family will be so happy. I cant thank you enough.  ;D
SCHNEIDER/SNIDER-NewYork
BURKE-NewYork
KELLY-Galway,Irl
MCGEE-Mayo/Fermanagh,Irl

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 October 09 00:42 BST (UK) »
Also living at 22 St. Charles Place, but apparently in a different apartment?, were
John E. Woods, head, age 42, married at age 32, born Ireland as were his parents.  Unknown immigrated date.  He was a Clerk, Railroad.
His wife was Sarah A, age 36, married at age 26, born in Ireland as were her parents.  Unknown immigration date, Dressmaker, Dresses.
Living with them was Margaret Kelly, sisterinlaw, age 35, widowed, married at age 30.  Born Ireland as were her parents.  Immigrated 1910.  She was a Dressmaker, Dressmaking Est.
Living with them were two daughters.  Will not list them, due to privacy concerns.
A lodger was living with the family: John W McLean, age 37, born in Canada English.  He was a Foreman, Express Co.

The Woods and John's families are listed at 22 St. Charles, but John is listed as "Head", so perhaps they were in a flat, or something?

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 October 09 00:44 BST (UK) »
You are quite welcome, Ellie.  ;D  I've been helped so much by others, it's the least I can do.  You haven't run across my Wakefield ancestors in Tuam, have you?  ;)  Just kidding; they left Tuam in the 1830's.  ;D