Author Topic: Joseph Burnside, Cockerton  (Read 61260 times)

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Burnside, Cockerton
« Reply #45 on: Friday 13 November 09 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin
It was the earlier post re Bottom House that made this entry jump out at me. At least we know there was a Joseph and an Elizabeth that had lived there, wether they were husband and wife is another matter.
As you know the BT's for Aycliffe are missing a few years. I have trawled them up to 1820 no sign of a Violetta :(.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Capture of the Maria Riggersbergen, Oct 18th 1806
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 13 November 09 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary,
I've also got a note of that entry for Robert's baptism in 1815 from the Darlington PRs but had read it as Joseph Burnsides being ROBERT'S father, not Violetta's??  I've also got a note from somewhere unspecified/unidentifiable of (yet another!) Ambrose Burnsides marrying a Violet Patterson at Whitley, Yorkshire in 1783 and some baptisms for the couple at Yarm - Edward 1790, Ambrose 1791 and William 1796.  The Burnsides tree is a corkscrew willow, not a sturdy old oak!
Ermy
Baldwin / Dixey / Rumble (Berkshire)
Burnsides / Corps / Harker / HINDLE / Longstaff / Martin / Page (Co. Durham)
Chalker / Glyde / Morris / Pitman / Stroud (Dorset)
BARTON / Heasman / Wheatley (East Sussex)
Baby / Silver / Silvester (Hampshire)
Cheeseman / JONES / Wood (Kent)
Chalker (Somerset)
Curtis / Davis / Stevens (Wiltshire)
Arcules / Carter / HINTON (Worcestershire)
~.~. main lines in CAPS .~.~

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 13 November 09 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ermy

I double checked the BT entry and it definitely has Violetta as the mother and Joseph as her father. I wonder if the BT is an error. Violet Patterson/Burnside appears to have died in 1799 in Yarm aged 36. Ambrose probably remarried. Interestingly the name Violet/Violetta only appears in the Burnside naming patterns after the marriage of Ambrose & Violet.

Gary

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 15 November 09 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ceeoh
After a bit digging around I think I found your Ambrose.
In the 1851 census Piece: 2384; Folio: 581; Page: 1.I believe he is Abraham? living with his sister Ann Gordon(nee Burnside) and her family . Interestingly Ambrose goes on to marry an Isabella Gordon, a sister to Ann's husband Alexander perhaps. Ann gives her birthplace as Sadberge. I checked the BT's for Sadberge and came across a few Burnsides and Anne is there (image 107) baptized 1822 Father Edward Mother Sarah. There is also a baptism for an Edward 1825 (image 122) to what appears to be the same parents. As yet I can not find a birth for Ambrose he does not show up in the IGI for Guisborough, perhaps he was born en-route there are a few other births for Edward & Sarah at Guisbourough. It would seem that Ambrose can be found in the 1861 census Piece: 3742; Folio: 5; Page: 4; living next door to his parents.
As foot note the other Burnside's I found in Sadberge are:
John (image 92) 1817 parents John & Jane. And Charity (image 99), Which appears to say Jane Rickaby spinster ( there is a marriage for a John Burnside to a Jane Rickaby in Hurworth on Tees 1805) A second opinion would be appreciated on this image.

Gary

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 15 November 09 23:14 GMT (UK) »

As foot note the other Burnside's I found in Sadberge are:
John (image 92) 1822 parents John & Jane. And Charity (image 99), Which appears to say Jane Rickaby spinster ( there is a marriage for a John Burnside to a Jane Rickaby in Hurworth on Tees 1805) A second opinion would be appreciated on this image.

Gary

Hi Gary,

It's a strange one  :-\

Oct 13 1819, Charity daur of Jane Rickaby otherwise Burnside, Sadberge, Spinster
A note added to Jane says - The same whose son was baptised May 11th 1817

I doubt if a divorce would have taken place, and she wasn't a widow, so I can only think that they separated or the marriage was declared illegal  ??? ???

Colin

EDIT - I forgot to say the earlier son was the John you mention in image 92 and it was 1817 not 1822

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 16 November 09 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin

Thanks for the second opinion. I apologise for the wrong date, I must have BT blindness ;D.
It is a strange entry given that the earlier birth has John & Jane as parents to John.
It would seem John & Jane hitched the caravan up and headed for West Auckland, There is a death for John in 1824 aged 6 parents John & Jane, Potter. Could this be the John born 1817 in Sadberge?.
Also 2 births to what appears to be the same couple. Yet another Ambrose 1821 & Neddy in 1823.
And it looks like Jane died at West Auckland in 1824 aged 40.

Added: I forgot to include this marriage for an Edward & Sarah Waddington ( BT Staindrop 1814-1898 image 79 ) in Staindrop 1822. Any body want to claim them?

Gary

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 19 November 09 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary,

Everything seems to fit for John & Jane being the same parents, but I've been pondering about that strange baptism entry for Charity, if they are the same family. Did they split up for a while but get back together? Was Charity fathered someone else? Then it suddenly dawned on me :o

Travellers are noted for their love and care of horses. Jane became jealous, accusing John of thinking more about his horse than her, and walked out on him. When Charity was born, she wasn't able to support them both so begged John to take her back. The couple were reunited but John never let her forget about her silly jealous nature, and the final taunt was to have his horse Neddy baptised in 1823.  ::)

Simple really,
Colin

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 19 November 09 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin

There is nothing simple about the Burnside/s clan. Any body who thinks that the Smith surname is hard to research needs to spend a week or two trying to sort the Burnside/s out. Had to laugh at Neddy bit  ;D.
If anyone has any info on a Mark Burnside c 1826 I would appreciate knowing his parents.

Gary

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Capture of the Maria Riggersbergen, Oct 18th 1806
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 19 November 09 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Do you have his marriage certificate?

Marriages Sep 1846
Burnside  Mark    Easingwold  24 349   
Cunningham  Mabel     Easingwold  24 349

The couple are easy to find in the 1861 census but can't see Mark in 1851, although Mabel is with William and Elizabeth Burnsides in Kirby Moorside, Yorkshire and shown as a married niece.  In 1841 Mark seems to be staying with a James and Mary Cunningham in Great Drifford, Yorks - maybe Mabel's parents/relations??  There's a Mark Burnsides, son of Edward and Elizabeth nee Bousfield baptised 1782 at St Cuthberts, Darlington - Edward is shown as potter of Blackwell at the baptism entry - so it's likely/probable Mark is a child of one of Edward's 11 children.
Ermy
Baldwin / Dixey / Rumble (Berkshire)
Burnsides / Corps / Harker / HINDLE / Longstaff / Martin / Page (Co. Durham)
Chalker / Glyde / Morris / Pitman / Stroud (Dorset)
BARTON / Heasman / Wheatley (East Sussex)
Baby / Silver / Silvester (Hampshire)
Cheeseman / JONES / Wood (Kent)
Chalker (Somerset)
Curtis / Davis / Stevens (Wiltshire)
Arcules / Carter / HINTON (Worcestershire)
~.~. main lines in CAPS .~.~