Author Topic: Rountree's from Armagh in Northern Ireland  (Read 33589 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rountree's from Armagh in Northern Ireland
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 23:19 BST (UK) »
I mentioned that someone had Margaret Anne's birth year as 1818 on Ancestry.com.  They also have some information about her son Meredith and his descendants:

Meredith ROUNTREE (1817-1870) m. Margaret Anne GILBERT (1818-1903)
 - Meredith ROUNTREE (1857-1926) m. Annie Matilda BARNES (1862-1951)
    -- Edward ROUNTREE (b. 1896, died in infancy)
    -- Ivy Marriner ROUNTREE (1897-1983) m. Samuel Trevor Dibble (1893-1983)
    -- Nora Margaret ROUNTREE (1900-1976) m. Edgar Palgreve DAVY
    -- Faith ROUNTREE (1902-1904)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 23:38 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there is a Quaker background to the Rountrees?  I mention this because of the famous Quaker philanthropist Joseph Rowntree (of Rowntree's sweets) and the fact that there may have been a Quaker background to the Gilbert family too (the earliest mention of them in Northern Ireland is in a Quaker marriage record in Lurgan where a whole squad of them were witnesses).

Another thing you New Zealand folk might be interested in is that at least one of Margaret Anne's nephews also emigrated to New Zealand.  Edward Killen Gilbert, son of William John Gilbert (brother, we think, of Margaret Anne) apparently got into financial difficulties managing a business for his cousin Orr McCausland in Belgium, after which he was sent away.

Edward married Martha Killen Wilson in 1881 in Katikati, New Zealand.  It's no coincidence that they shared the same middle name - the Killens, Gilberts, Wilsons and a few other families seem to have been interbreeding for generations.  A lot of Killens apparently moved out to Australia and New Zealand.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 23:59 BST (UK) »
So what I'm interested to know is if anyone has any more information on Margaret Anne Gilbert's siblings and her parents, Stephen and Anne Jane/Jones.  I believe they had 7 children, but I'm only sure of three and I have conflicting information about the rest:

- Margaret Anne: c1818-1903.  Apparently she is described as a second daughter in the marriage record with Meredith Rountree.

- Eliza Jane: May have been born in either 1819 or 1834.  Married James Gilbert (probably a cousin) on 5th May 1852.  Had at least one child, Sarah Maria borth 6th August 1858.

- William John: My g g grandfather.  He married Ellen Orr Killen in 1851.  He was born in 1822 and died in 1880.  He had 10 children.

- Stephen: c1830-1902.  Married Sarah Anne Bell on 3rd April 1857.  In his will he mentioned his sister Margaret Rountree (presumably the only sibling still alive at that stage) and rhymes off his nieces and nephews (mostly, if not all, children of William John).

- Depending on who I believe there may also have been a Sarah, Frances, Jonathan and/or another Stephen (died in infancy).

I'd be particularly interested on hearing from Fizzyross and whether their family bible has any information about Margaret Anne's family.  If anyone else has information please contact me.  Hopefully I've made enough posts now to be allowed to use the PM system ;)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 25 November 13 17:57 GMT (UK) »
In reading the thread I made a few notes about the children of Margaret Anne and Meredith Rountree.

According to Janettekaye the children were Meredith, Joseph, George, William, Christopher and Gilbert.

Fizzyross says there are seven children: Emma (from whom he is descended), Jones, Annie Alicia, Meridith, Stephen Gilbert, Margaretta and Joseph

That gives us:

• Margaretta (died in infancy)
  • Annie Alicia
  • Emma
  • Meredith
  • Joseph (died aged 9, 12 or 14)
  • Jones
  • Stephen Gilbert
  • William?
  • George?
  • Christopher?

I'm not sure whether anyone has already posted this (apologies if it has), but here is a link to a Daily Southern Cross article which lists the passengers arriving on the Portland in 1863:

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=DSC18630801.2.44&e=-------100--1----0daily+southern+cross+waikato+war--

Passengers include:

Meredith Rountree
Margaret Rountree
Gilbert Rountree
Emma Rountree
Meredith Rountree
Joseph Rountree

James Gilbert
Eliza Gilbert [Eliza Jane]
Anna Gilbert [Annie]
Stephen Gilbert
John Gilbert [Jack]
Maria Gilbert [Sara Maria]
Thomas Gilbert [Tom]
Mary Gilbert [Mary Elizabeth/Minnie]

Eliza Jane Gilbert was Margaret Anne Rountree's sister.  I hadn't realised they'd gone to New Zealand together until recently when it was pointed out to me by a descendant of the above Sara Maria Gilbert.

Offline swingle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 24 March 19 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi to those that may be interested.I am the great, great, great, grandson of Meredith Rountree who came to Auckland New Zealand, on the Portland on the 22nd July 1863 as far as i can determine.I would like to know the background of the family in Northern ireland and indead news of any existing relatives.I live in New Zealand with my family and have an interesting book entitled Early Northland,which contains information on the Rountree family between 1860 and 1900.If any one could help i will be great full.Thank you.Doug Rountree.

Offline jammykins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 25 March 19 02:49 GMT (UK) »
In reading the thread I made a few notes about the children of Margaret Anne and Meredith Rountree.

According to Janettekaye the children were Meredith, Joseph, George, William, Christopher and Gilbert.

Fizzyross says there are seven children: Emma (from whom he is descended), Jones, Annie Alicia, Meridith, Stephen Gilbert, Margaretta and Joseph

That gives us:

• Margaretta (died in infancy)
  • Annie Alicia
  • Emma
  • Meredith
  • Joseph (died aged 9, 12 or 14)
  • Jones
  • Stephen Gilbert
  • William?
  • George?
  • Christopher?

I'm not sure whether anyone has already posted this (apologies if it has), but here is a link to a Daily Southern Cross article which lists the passengers arriving on the Portland in 1863:

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=DSC18630801.2.44&e=-------100--1----0daily+southern+cross+waikato+war--

Passengers include:

Meredith Rountree
Margaret Rountree
Gilbert Rountree
Emma Rountree
Meredith Rountree
Joseph Rountree

James Gilbert
Eliza Gilbert [Eliza Jane]
Anna Gilbert [Annie]
Stephen Gilbert
John Gilbert [Jack]
Maria Gilbert [Sara Maria]
Thomas Gilbert [Tom]
Mary Gilbert [Mary Elizabeth/Minnie]

Eliza Jane Gilbert was Margaret Anne Rountree's sister.  I hadn't realised they'd gone to New Zealand together until recently when it was pointed out to me by a descendant of the above Sara Maria Gilbert.

I am trying to reply to your post. I am Janettekaye but have been off here for a long time and forgotten my password so have registerd under Jammykins

Offline jammykins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 25 March 19 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi to those that may be interested.I am the great, great, great, grandson of Meredith Rountree who came to Auckland New Zealand, on the Portland on the 22nd July 1863 as far as i can determine.I would like to know the background of the family in Northern ireland and indead news of any existing relatives.I live in New Zealand with my family and have an interesting book entitled Early Northland,which contains information on the Rountree family between 1860 and 1900.If any one could help i will be great full.Thank you.Doug Rountree.

Hello Doug

My father was Vern Rountree. Son of Ivo and Elizabeth Rountree. Ivo was son on William Rountree.

I have heard of you from my late father.
Kind Regards

Jan Rountree