Author Topic: Cille Choirill Brae Lochaber: Archibald Mcdonald & Ann Gillies  (Read 53437 times)

Offline Unachan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cille Choirill Brae Lochaber: Archibald Mcdonald & Ann Gillies
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

I feel your frustration, you need to understand that in the area called Brae Lochaber where the "drochaid" families originated, Archibald MacDonald is as common a name as you can get. As for the Don Hargreaves and Monoro information on "this" family, I have still to be convinced or at least shown the origin of this information. The mention of "Drochaid" comes from one source only, that is the old chart of Father Andrew referred to previously. The Monoro info "fits" neatly into the onfo in this chart, I feel too neatly for my liking!!!  The only info on this Archibald on that chart says he had an illegitimate daughter Mary who was my gg grandmother and that is all I have.   Regards - Unachan

Offline tongan bundi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks!
I am having similar problems with the other line - with Donald Cameron - which seems to be a similar problem.
I also recognise as we go back in time, it gets a bit more difficult to pin things down. I will keep and eye out, and thanks for the reply!

Regards

Offline Unachan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 09:46 BST (UK) »
What info do you have on your Archibald MacDonald?

Offline tongan bundi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 10:46 BST (UK) »
I have a number of birth and death certificates for family back to Donald Cameron Born 1 July 1829 in Banavie Killmallie, and Birth & Death for Elizabeth McDonald born 1843 in Palmerville. Elizabeth is the granddaughter of Archibald (through his son Alexander and Janet Kinlyside).

The rest going back, is as you say, from other family and links. The Camerons prior to that are from the Clan Cameron of Australia Geneology site, as well as the Monaro Pioneers Project. I have not yet tracked back via Census nor BMD in Scotland or elsewhere.

I still have a long way to go!

Offline Dixi Joy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 30 November 12 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Unachan - I think we have the same Archibald here is his family 
Children
1.   Unnamed McDonald – died before sailed to Australia
2.   Catherine Mcdonald b: 1818 in Loch Hourn – married Kenneth McDonald of Glengarve, Rothshire at Glenelg 1834. 
3.   Alexander “Sandy” MCDONALD b: 1820 in Loch Hourn
4.   Donald MCDONALD b: 1821 in Loch Hourn
5.   Mary MCDONALD b: 1823 in Loch Hourn
6.   Margaret MCDONALD b: 1828 in Loch Hourn
Married 13 March 1878 to Charles Campbell Cameron
7.   John MCDONALD b: 12 Nov 1830 in Invernesshire
8.   Colin MCDONALD b: 1832 in Invernesshire

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 01 December 12 00:04 GMT (UK) »
I note that this thread started some time back with a discussion of Father Coll MacDonald of Lochaber but has since moved on apace, so in that sense the following is not entirely relevant.  However, for the sake of a bit of anecdotal fun, the following extracts come from 'A Boyhood in An Gearasdan' - a speech delivered to the Gaelic Society of Inverness in 1992 by JFM MacLeod MA LLB, whose grandfather, John MacLeod grew up in Fort William during the 1860s-70s and later wrote his memories.  He notes that Father Coll was a bit before his time, so these anecdotes had 'done the rounds' in the Fort: 

Tales went about in regard to the prowess of the old priest Coll Macdonald as an undiscovered salmon fisherman in his early days in Brae Lochaber and his unmortified fondness for a cut of venison of his own killing when he was a priest in Fort William.  He used to drive down to Ballachulish to hold a service there on Sabbath afternoon.  He saw time and again a stag within easy reach of his gun not far from the gamekeeper’s place near a clump of trees.  The chance was too much for him.  So one day he took his gun with him and as he was driving there, sure enough, was the stag within shot.  There was a risk as the gamekeeper’s house was so near.  He came out of his trap, stalked and bagged his quarry.  But the sound of the shot brought out the keeper at full speed.  The priest had not quite got into his trap but had hid his gun and was adjusting his clothes.  He pointed beyond the wood and sent the keeper off in chase of the poacher.  This gave him time to get the stag into his trap and get off before the keeper appeared on the scene again.

The free use of strong drink was quite in keeping with the social ways of the country [Lochaber] and, to say the least, it was not frowned upon by such parish ministers as Dr. Macintyre, Kilmonivaig, Dr. Clark of Kilmallie or Dr. Stewart of Nether Lochaber.  On one occasion the last of these was in such a pitiable plight as to call forth the compassion of Father Coll – his word were “Bha mi air mo thamailteachadh fear dhe’ aodach a bhi ann a leithid de shuideachadh” – I felt humiliated that one of his cloth should be in such a state.  The critic was not himself by any means invulnerable on the same score for when he had taken freely of the wine of the country his companions used to chaff him about Purgatory.  He was asked if he believed in it.  He owned that he did not but he taught it all the same.  When in Fort Augustus, he used to fish freely without let or hindrance.  The steamboat used to take more than half an hour passing through the canal locks there and at times Mr Murdo Mackenzie when passing through had a chat with Big Coll.  Teasing the priest for his devotion to the fishing rod, Mr MacKenzie, who was soon to be married, got the answer that it was better to be fishing for salmon than to be like some others fishing for women.  “What is that your church teaches about Purgatory?” Coll replied “I hear, Mr MacKenzie, that you are to get married”.  “Yes”, said Mr MacKenzie “that is quite so”.   “Look” said Coll, “that is the beginning of Purgatory”.  Before the monastery was built in Fort Augustus Coll had the lax and easy ways of the old Highlander Romanists.  After it was built he had to be much more canonical and he felt this to be a bondage.  The saying holds good “In vino veritas”.  He would, when he had a dram or two, be very candid in criticising the new order with which he had to comply.

He goes on to say that Father Coll’s successor was Father John MacDonald, known as Poker John because he had been driven out of a Protestant house in Fort Augustus by a lady brandishing one as a weapon.

brigau

Offline Dixi Joy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 01 December 12 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Here is a family line that made sense to me, in brief, and includes the Drochoids and Archibald McDonald

*Donald Macdonell the 1st of Aberarder
Son - Angus  Cranachan  MacDonald 
*Angus Cranachan MacDonald the 1st of Cranachan
Son - Donald (Cranachan) MacDonald  - born 1700
*Donald Cranachan MacDonald the 2nd of Cranachan
 (Son 1 Donald McDonald born 1721 died, later child named Donald) 
Son - Donald MacDonald born 1740
*Donald McDonald
Born: 1740 Cranachan   
Death: unknown Moidart?
Married: 1770 Mary McDonald born about 1745
Children
1.   Angus Mor Drochoid Mcdonald b: 1770 father of Father Coll
2.   Donald Drochoid Mcdonald b: 1773 Mary MacKillops Grandfather
3.   Ian/John Gorm Mcdonald b: 1777
4.   Catherine McDonald of Cranachan
5.   Angus Mor Inch McDonald b: 1780
6.   Archibald McDonald b: 1785 Moidart 
7.   Mary McDonald b: 1787 – married Mr Cameron
8.   John McDonald b: about 1801 in Knoydart
There is a big age gap between the first 4 children and the last 4 children, maybe his wife had 8 children over 33 years, or he took a 2nd wife and is mother of last 4 children. The family left Roybridge area Cranachan.  Inch Gorm and Moidart references could mean the family were moving around due to Clearances?   
*Archibald McDonald  - all family immigrated to Australia 1837 to Monaro
Born: 1785 Moidart
Death: 16 Apr 1872 in Burra near Queanbeyan
Burial: Queanbeyan Riverside Cemetery  -old Catholic section
Married: Margaret Ross McDonald in 1813 in  Isle of Skye.
Born: 1793 in Glenfinnan, Kilmallie, Fort William, Inverness, Scotland.
Died: 10 Mar 1861 in Glengaroon, NSW of Afflection of the chest
Buried: 13 Mar 1861 St. John's Church of England, Queanbeyan
Note: Maiden name registered as "McDonald".
Father: Alexander McDonald 
Mother: Margaret Ross
Children
1.   Unnamed McDonald – died before sailed to Australia
2.   Catherine McDonald b: 1818 in Loch Hourn – married Kenneth McDonald of Glengarve, Rothshire at Glenelg 1834. 
3.   Alexander “Sandy” MCDONALD b: 1820 in Loch Hourn
4.   Donald MCDONALD b: 1821 in Loch Hourn
5.   Mary MCDONALD b: 1823 in Loch Hourn
6.   Margaret MCDONALD b: 1828 in Loch Hourn
Married 13 March 1878 to Charles Campbell Cameron
7.   John MCDONALD b: 12 Nov 1830 in Invernesshire
8.   Colin MCDONALD b: 1832 in Invernesshire
(one of the daughters married a James Moore)
Archibald said to have bought a farm in Glenelg Loch Hourn about 1815 and sold it to pay for fares to Australia
All children seem to be born at Glenelg Loch Hourn

Offline Unachan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 01 December 12 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Re the info from Dixi Joy and the history of the Cranachan family - You will see from my comments on pages 5 and 6 my feelings on this Archibald MacDonald and the information from the Monaro pioneers regarding connections to Cranachan. It seems to have taken information from the source used to show St Mary MacKillop's connection to Cranachan and "fill in" family that no one has been able to explain to me. So mark me down as a total sceptic on this information. Inch is a place not far from Cranachan in Brae Lochaber, Gorm is descriptive, the person possibly had blue eyes. Limited space made most people move around at that time rather than the "clearances" per se.

Offline Unachan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 01 December 12 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks brigau for the extracts on Father Coll, the Gaelic society produced some wonderful stuff!!  The Father John MacDonald known as 'poker John' was visiting the house of a friend Captain Ewen Ross who was ill in bed. The disagreement was all about religion and the supposed request from the captain to become a Catholic. This had been going on for a few days and involved the local minister and other friends. It culminated in Mrs Ross chasing three people from the house with a 'poker'!! this was in 1869 and is extensively reported in a newspaper article in the "The Star (Saint Peter Port, England)" amongst others I would guess?