Author Topic: Mary BALSOM from Launceston Cornwall  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mary BALSOM from Launceston Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 October 09 13:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kris,
Nothing beats a bit of local knowledge.  With a daughter named Christiana I assumed that Christopher was not a variation on Christian (as I have found with some Scottish ancestors) .   the feminine variation on Christopher is Christine, the addition of an 'a' to Christian  it fitted into place.
With her mother being listed as Mary unknown, it seemed to follow that her father was Christian.   Balsom has a variety of spellings as does Symons
Just look at todays first names some parents are using, imagine trying to sort them in a 200 plus years time. :)
Be nice to find a record of George and Mary's (Symonds) marriage, might help clear things up.
Will do some more homework.   Yes I have George and Mary's death registrations.
Abygail

Just an odd thought, maybe Mary and Christian were both ladies and we'll never know who the father really was.   Same sex unions aren't just a 20th century thing.
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 October 09 14:23 BST (UK) »
I think George and Mary's marriage must be in Devon. Unfortunately from that period the information contained will be limited. Parents will not be listed - Witnesses may help.  :'(

Yes I have George and Mary's death registrations.
Does this mean you only have the information from the index and not the actual death certificate?
I really feel it would be best to see the actually certificate, Christian and Mary just does not sound right to me. Curious if that is what the certificate says.

Cheers Kris  :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 10:50 BST (UK) »
The info I have is from a photocopy of the actual register used for recording the details pertaining to the event, so they will be the same as those written onto the death certificate.
I haven't looked for a while, but when I first started my research the original micro fiche were reproductions of the original records.   This is where I have obtained a lot of my registration details.   I know some of what is available now have been transcribed and typed, and this can be frustrating.
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail