Author Topic: 1871 Census Falkirk, Stirlingshire.. Fauney MIRK  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Mirk562

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mirk Smith
    • View Profile
1871 Census Falkirk, Stirlingshire.. Fauney MIRK
« on: Saturday 10 October 09 06:07 BST (UK) »
Can some kind person please look up the 1871 Census for Fauney Mirk in Falkirk, Stirlingshire.
Not sure this is her correct name and I think it is a transcription error.   
I can't see a orginal census copy on  Ancestry.com just a transcription.

Parents were John & Agnes Mirk living at Lime Wharf, Falkirk landward, Stirlingshire.
Mirk
Mirk; Buchanan; McNab; McFarlane; McGregor; Vallance; Ramage; Cursons; Moffatt; Old

Offline Mirk562

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mirk Smith
    • View Profile
Sorry 1861 Census Falkirk, Stirlingshire.. Fauney MIRK
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 October 09 06:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry I meant the 1861 Census falkirk, Stirlingshire lookup for Fauney Mirk  ???
I can't find her in the 1871 Census.  She is not with the family, nor is Janet Mirk.  They would still be young enough to be at home.
Mirk
Mirk; Buchanan; McNab; McFarlane; McGregor; Vallance; Ramage; Cursons; Moffatt; Old

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census Falkirk, Stirlingshire.. Fauney MIRK
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 October 09 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Mirk562,

1861 Census:

Living at Lime Wharf, Falkirk
John, Head, age 50
Agnes, Wife, age 36
Elizabeth, daughter, age 17
Isabella, daughter, age 15
Thomas, son, age 13
John, son, age 9
Fauney, daughter, age 4
Janet, daughter age 1
Mary, daughter age 4
Cecelia, daughter age 3 months
Richard Nisbet, grand-son, age 5 months

Something's not quite right here ......?

Usually, all the children are listed in order of age, but as you'll see, this isn't the case.

'Fauney' and Mary look as though they would have been twins, as both are listed as being 4 years old.

Maybe 'Fauney' had been mistransribed as you suspected and is maybe Fanny?

I think I might have found the family in 1871 (transcribed as SHERD!!) - based on Grandson Richard Nisbet (transcribed as NISBEN!!)

Living at Pemsroad?
John (Sherd), head, age 67, Labourer
Agnes (Sherd), wife, age 45
Mary (Sherd), daughter, age 13
Richard Nisben, grandson, age 10
Girdia (Merk), daughter, age 10
Anne (Merk), daughter age 7
Thomas (Merk), son age 4
and Robert Pennie, Lodger, age 23

I think you'll have to download both 1861 & 1871 images from Scotland's People to see what's really written on the pages!!

Best of Luck!

Anne

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 October 09 15:24 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't got the 1881 details ......

Living at Lime Road (which is still there, and makes a lot more sense than Lime 'Wharf')

John Mirk, age 71
Agnes Mirk, age 55
Mary Mirk, daughter, age 22
Thomas Mirk, son, age 14, Apprentice Chemist.

Anne

Offline Mirk562

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mirk Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 October 09 19:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, I had found the Mirk family through all the census's, but have lost trace of Janet Mirk and can't decipher who Fauney Mirk would be. 
My Gr Grandmother was Mary Mirk and there is no mention of her being a twin.
Various members of the family have had their surname transcribed as 'Mark' in Scotlands People.  That is where I found the first Thomas, Cecelia and Annie Mirk who all died young. 
Thanks for your help.
Mirk

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 October 09 22:29 BST (UK) »

Hi Mirk, do you have BMD certs for your GrGrandmother? I noticed no the IGI that Mary Mirk born 12th July1857 Falkirk has parents John Mirk and Agnes BLAIR. Cecilia, Ann and Thomas have John and Agnes MUIR.

May have been mistranscribed or we may be looking at the wrong family.

Val

Offline Mirk562

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mirk Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 October 09 00:06 BST (UK) »
I have the birth cert for Mary Mirk and on giving it a second look it does look like it could be mistaken for Blair.  Her parents definately are  John Mirk & Agnes Muir.  Her death cert as 'Mary McNab' has her parents recorded as John Mirk and Agnes Muir quite clearly.

Have the death cert for Agnes 'Muir' Mirk d.2 Sep, 1899 which I found recorded as Agnes Mark, widow of John Mirk. No parents recorded so have hit a brick wall there.
John Mirks death cert d.16 July, 1891 has his parents recorded as Thomas Mirk and Agnes Provan.
Both Cecelia and Annie Mirk died in 1872 aged 12 and 8yrs.  Thomas Mirk died in 1865 aged 17yrs.  All parents recorded as John Mirk and Agnes Muir on death certs.

Still have to find a death cert entry for Janet Mirk, as she was not in the 1871 census where as she was aged 1 in the 1861 census.  She would  be about 10 or 11 by 1871.

Have traced Agnes, Isabella and Euphemia Mirk to Victoria, Australia and John and Thomas Mirk to San Francisco, California.    Only Elizabeth and Mary Mirk stayed in Falkirk, Stirlingshire, where they married.

I will have to go on Scotlands People and look at the original copy of the 1861 census to try and see what is written there which was transcribed as Fauney Mirk.

Thanks for your help.

Mirk

Offline Mirk562

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mirk Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 October 09 01:11 BST (UK) »
I have now downloaded the 1861 Census for the MIRK family in Falkirk from Scotlands People.
There are several errors in the transcribing of this family.   
I think that the child  'Fauney Mirk  4   Scholar '  is 'Femmy Mirk', a possible nickname for Euphemia Mirk.  Euphemia Mirk would have been 11 years by 1861 and that is what this child is recorded as, as well I notice that she is a scholar, while a 4 year old would not be.
The child 'Janet Mirk aged 1 and a  scholar' in the transcribed version on Ancestry.com but I see she is 7 years on the original copy. 
Thanks for your help.
Mirk

Offline bairnj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 October 09 19:37 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't got the 1881 details ......

Living at Lime Road (which is still there, and makes a lot more sense than Lime 'Wharf')

Lime Wharf was the Chemical works. There is still a row of cottages there (now know as Lime Road).  This area was a big chemical industry until the Tar Works fire in 1973.

I believe that they now call the Marina area within the Falkirk wheel Lime Wharf.

Just incase thats of any use to you.