Author Topic: Birth/Marriage Registers - Flaunden/Leverstock Green/Hemel Hempstead - BARNES  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
I am trying to find information on my great great great grandfather Charles BARNES b. abt. 1786 in Flaunden, Hertfordshire. (d. 1860).  He may have been baptised at St. Mary Magdalene.  His son John was married in a Baptist Chapel, so Charles may not have been C of E.

He was an agricultural labourer and seems to have lived most of his life at Westwick Row.

His wife was Frances (possibly Fanny) b. abt. 1791 in Hemel Hempstead m. abt 1807 prob. in Hemel Hempstead too. (d. 1864)

Any information about the birth and marriage of Charles BARNES or the maiden name of his wife Frances would be most welcome.

Thanks
Christopher
Barnes, Rickett, Osborn and Durrant near Hemel Hempstead
Chinnick in Devon and London
Nettleship in Lincolnshire
Meuvly (Meuvley and Meuwly) in London and Switzerland
Cook in Hampshire
Craig, Johnston, McCollum, Wright, McAlister, Boyd, Perry and Crooks in County Antrim

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/Marriage Registers - Flaunden/Leverstock Green/Hemel Hempstead - BARNES
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 October 09 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher

Have you considered the birth & baptism on the IGI (Family Search) for a Charles BARNS born 1st Aug 1781 & bapt 26 Aug 1781 in Flaunden. His parents were Charles Barnes & Mary.

From the Flaunden Militia List there are only 2 Barns/Barnes mentioned & that is a Charles from 1781 to 1786 a labourer with 2 children & a Thomas in 1768.

There is also a marriage on the IGI for Charles BARNS to Francis (sic) Hadnut, 4th Dec 1806 St Michael St Albans.

If you do a parent search using Charles & Frances there are children listed including a John, could this be the one you mention.

Hope this helps.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/Marriage Registers - Flaunden/Leverstock Green/Hemel Hempstead - BARNE
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 09 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Maddie

Thanks so much for looking into this.  I had looked at the IGI back in April, but I discounted it at the time due to the date gap and the fact I had nothing else to corroborate it.  In saying that, the IGI entry is the only gig in town at the moment.

I'll have to visit my local LDS Family History Centre to see if I can find out more about the IGI entry and how much store to put by it.

I'll reply to this post on what I find out.

Thanks once again
Christopher 
Cook in Hampshire
Craig, Johnston, McCollum, Wright, McAlister, Boyd, Perry and Crooks in County Antrim

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/Marriage Registers - Flaunden/Leverstock Green/Hemel Hempstead - BARNES
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 09 20:03 BST (UK) »
You're welcome Christopher, good luck with the LDS centre.

Let us know how you get on.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Snalbans

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 17:40 BST (UK) »
skybluechris, I only joined RootsChat 5 minutes ago, so I hope i am doing this correctly.

My research indicates that the same Charles Barnes is also my great great great grandfather, I am descended from his son Joseph Barnes who was 30 years of age in the 1841 census. I notice that there was a John Barnes living with his wife Sophia at Kiff Farm at this time.
My research has only just got me as far back as Charles and Fanny Barnes, I would be very interested to know if you were able to go back further?

However I am aware that your post is 3 years old. >:(

Regards,

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Snalbans

Charles was born 1 Aug 1781 and baptised in the now rebuilt church of St. Mary Magdalene, Flaunden on 26 Aug of the same year.  He married Francis Hadnut on 4 Dec 1806 in St. Michael's as per Maddie's previous post.  He died in the St. Michael's Union Workhouse on 8 Nov 1860.  She died in Hemel four years later, having spent a while at the alms houses in Flamstead.

His parents may have been Charles Barnes and Mary Clark, married in St. Mary Magdelene on 16 Jun 1779, though I've nothing to prove that at the moment.

I still don't know the name of John's wife Sophia.  She gave birth to their son, Joseph in 1840, but died in 1842.  John remarried to Lydia Rickett in Hemel on 8 Jun 1846 and I am descended from their son James.

To the best of my knowledge Joseph married Sarah Kiff on 25 Dec 1835, who died in 1842, leaving two daughters.  Joseph then remarried to Mary Ann Palmer in 1842 (though she still appears to have been married to James Millard who died in 1844) and had three sons and four daughters.

If you PM me your descendant relationship to Joseph I can give you more pertinent information.

All the best
Christopher
Cook in Hampshire