Author Topic: Holm  (Read 7738 times)

Offline Cromarty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holm
« on: Saturday 10 October 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information about the Holm family from Cromarty, Scotland?  I am researching the family of William Holm and Margaret Williamson who were living in the area at the beginning of the nineteenth century.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Cromarty
Holm, McAllan, Williamson, Fraser, Bovingdon, Towers, Leonard, Timms, Lewis,Renkin, Bedggood, Rosewall, Nicholas, Lane, Rolph, Speed, Plunkett, Russell, May

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Holm
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 October 09 18:17 BST (UK) »
hi Cromarty  :)

what do you have on them so far ?
looks like their marriage and children are on the IGI
also possible couple on 1841 census on freeCEN
high st. cromarty
william holm 65 hemp weaver born ross & cromarty
margaret holm 60 born ross & cromarty

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 October 09 18:41 BST (UK) »
Gravestone in Cromarty Gaelic Cemetery

Placed here by William Holm and Margaret Williamson in Moortown in Pedistow in memory of their son David Holm who died April the 9th 1811 aged 8 years.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 October 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
hi ghostwhisperer  :)

that looks spot on  8)
first child david born 1803

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Cromarty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 October 09 23:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ev,

I think that the 1841 census showing William and Margaret living in High Street is my lot and I hadn't thought to search there.  The birth record of their son Alexander shows William as a weaver.  The rest I know I have through IGI.  I had found the headstone photo but am just a bit puzzled as to the reference to Moortown and Pedistown.

Cromarty
Holm, McAllan, Williamson, Fraser, Bovingdon, Towers, Leonard, Timms, Lewis,Renkin, Bedggood, Rosewall, Nicholas, Lane, Rolph, Speed, Plunkett, Russell, May

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 09 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Cromarty

In WJ Watson's "Place names of Ross and Cromarty" (1904), there's a Peddieston and a Muirtown (rather than Moortown) listed as being in the parish of Cromarty.

Muirton and Peddieston are also marked on modern Ordnance Survey maps - they're very close to one another, Peddieston at NH742642, Muirton at NH743637.

Hope this helps!
Lynn
Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline Cromarty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 October 09 23:30 BST (UK) »
:)
Thanks Lynn,

I now have a better idea of the location and will search for these maps in my local genealogical library.

This week I have been contacted by another Holm descendant and so I am now seeking information on who is buried in the Old Gaelic Cemetery and why.

Also any information on the Huguenots who settled in the Cromarty area would be helpful.

Is there an association for the hemp weavers?

Cromarty

Offline MaggieAnne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 January 10 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there:
Margaret Holm born 15 Sep 1816, Cromarty, daughter of Alexander Holm born 1797.
Margaret Holm married Donald Mackenzie in 1847, Cromarty.

Happy to supply any further information.
Regards
Maggie

Offline Cromarty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 January 10 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maggie,

I think we have already spoken on the phone.  My Alexander Holm was born in 1815 to Margaret Williamson and William Holm. His siblings were David, George, William and Margaret.  David's headstone is in the Old Gaelic Cemetery.

William was a weaver and was born in 1769 at Braelangwell which is in the Resolis Parish.  Margaret was from Rosemarkie.  William's father and grandfather were also called William and were weavers.  I haven't got dates for them.  His mother was Anne, son of William Junnor a tennant in Blernaclach.

Can you see any connection?

Cromarty