Re: Holm
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 January 10 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there again:
I have a William Holm b. 1762, Resolis, who married a Mary Allan b.abt. 1763:
Children were:
Christian Holm b. 1790
William Holm b.1792
Alexander Holm b.1797
Jannet Holm b.1799 - all born in Resolis.
re David Holm - I have one born in 1808 and buried on the old Gaelic Kirk in Cromarty in 1883.
The Holms were Huguenots who fled Flanders due to religious persecution and yes they were weavers who I believe settled in Eathie.
Await your further advice.  Regards Maggie   

Offline MaggieAnne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 January 10 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maggie,

I think we have already spoken on the phone.  My Alexander Holm was born in 1815 to Margaret Williamson and William Holm. His siblings were David, George, William and Margaret.  David's headstone is in the Old Gaelic Cemetery.

William was a weaver and was born in 1769 at Braelangwell which is in the Resolis Parish.  Margaret was from Rosemarkie.  William's father and grandfather were also called William and were weavers.  I haven't got dates for them.  His mother was Anne, son of William Junnor a tennant in Blernaclach.

Can you see any connection?

Cromarty

Offline MaggieAnne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 January 10 11:56 GMT (UK) »
For your information:

William Holm married Margaret Williamson on 8 Jan 1802, Cromarty, R&C.
Children & DOB:
David Holm 13 Jan 1803 - died 09 Apr 1811
George Holm 19 Jul 1808
William Holm 01 Aug 1810
Margaret Holm 15 Sep 1812
Alexander Holm 13 Nov 1815

Hope this helps.

Maggie

Offline Cromarty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 January 10 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information but I had already established these details from the Parish records.  There are obvious similarities between our family trees eg names and occupations but because there would appear to have been four William Holms in the Cromarty/Resolis area in the mid 1750s it seems to me to be a difficult task to link the two families.  I can document my family back to the William who was the father of William 1769.  He married Anne Junnor in 1760 but I am still searching for his birth and parents.

I am interested to know what evidence there is for the Holm weavers being Huguenots.  Is it documented anywhere?

The search continues!

Cromarty
Holm, McAllan, Williamson, Fraser, Bovingdon, Towers, Leonard, Timms, Lewis,Renkin, Bedggood, Rosewall, Nicholas, Lane, Rolph, Speed, Plunkett, Russell, May

Offline MaggieAnne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 January 10 03:58 GMT (UK) »
This is an extract from the newspaper, but I can also cite other examples:  I put in an extra few paragraphs as I am sure you would be interested in reading about other famous Holms.  Regards Maggie

Quote..."

The late Mr A H Mackenzie: a link with Hugh Miller. A wide circle of friends will regret to hear of the death of Mr Alexander Holm Mackenzie, Cromarty, which took place in Chalmers' Hospital, Edinburgh, on Monday after having gone through an operation a few days previously ... Mr Mackenzie was one of Cromarty's best known and popular citizens and his familiar form will be sadly missed. Born in Cromarty in 1846, Mr Mackenzie who spent his whole life in his native town, filled a number of important offices... Hugh Miller was a regular visitor to his father's house when "home" from Edinburgh on holiday... Mr Mackenzie was greatly interested in the Free Church (and present U.F. church)... A correspondent writes: - Mr Mackenzie was the last resident male representative of an old Cromarty family. His maternal ancestors on one side had been tenants at Davidston, Cromarty for six generations. On the other side they were a family, named Holm, who were linen growers and weavers - Protestant refugees from French Flanders, who settled at Eathie in the 18th century. ... Mr Mackenzie's paternal grandfather, hailed from Delny, and married in Cromarty a sister of David and William Bain, also from Delny, who farmed Townlands, Cromarty, and were tenants of the Brewery and owned property in Trinity, Edinburgh, and Leith. His father Donald Mackenzie was for many years a mason contractor, and had been from boyhood an intimate friend of Hugh Miller, as was also his wife's brother Alexander Holm, who emigrated to NSW, and became private secretary to its Prime Minister. A cousin Sir David Holm, was mayor of St John's, New Brunswick. Most of the deceased's relatives are in Australia, New Zealand and the United States. A large number are agriculturalists in South Gippsland, Victoria, two first cousins Mr Donald Thomson Mackenzie and Mr James Mackenzie, being retired farmers and butter exporters, who now reside in Melbourne. A maternal first cousin Mr Stewart Holm, is a banker in Fremantle W.A. and another Mrs Fullarton, resides at Peterhead. A brother and sister are in New York and a son in Durban. ... The deceased's wife is a descendant of "Rob Doun" the Sutherland poet. He is survived by five sons and a daughter, among the sons being Mr W M Mackenzie, M.A. Secretary (for Scotland) of the Ancient Monuments Commission and author of several historical works and the brothers Donald A and George, formerly proprietors of the North Star, and now holding important positions in the literary world in the south. The funeral takes place today (Thursday) from the deceased's residence, 4 Barkley St, Cromarty, the interment taking place in the Gaelic churchyard of Cromarty at 2 o'clock. He was buried at Cromarty.  ...Unquote

Offline Cromarty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 January 10 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info.

Cromarty
Holm, McAllan, Williamson, Fraser, Bovingdon, Towers, Leonard, Timms, Lewis,Renkin, Bedggood, Rosewall, Nicholas, Lane, Rolph, Speed, Plunkett, Russell, May