Author Topic: COMPLETED - James LOMAS died 1885 Macclesfield  (Read 5255 times)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - James LOMAS died 1885 Macclesfield
« on: Saturday 10 October 09 17:24 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you can propose ideas for positive identification of my James LOMAS, my g3 grandfather...

The informant for the death of a James LOMAS, died 10 August 1885 aged 85 years, at the Union Workhouse Macclesfield, was Mary C. LOMAS. grand-daughter, of Wellington Street, Macclesfield.

I would like to identify this Mary to confirm through her father that this was indeed my g3 grandfather James.

Well, I can't find an eligible Mary C LOMAS on census returns (amongst other tactics, have checked all those on Wellington Street in 1881) nor in the indexes (General/District) of birth registrations. Just in case she was the wife of a grandson, I have checked but not succeeded in finding a marriage of a Mary C to a Lomas that 'works'.

I reckon I have my James LOMAS in the 1841-81 census returns as well security in the name James LOMAS (labourer) from my g2 grandfather's (he and his sibs all born pre-1837) marriage certificate. I haven't found a headstone. I also reckon I have my g2 grandfather, James' son Charles in the 1841-1901 census returns, consistently putting his birth in Congleton (he and James at Astbury in 1841).

I note that Cheshire Record Office has information on admissions to the workhouse. What details come from these admission records - would they help me identify the James of the death certificate?

Do you have any suggestion for tracking a Mary C LOMAS that would fit the information from the above death certificate, or other sources that might help with positive identification of g3 grandfather James?
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: James LOMAS died 1885 Macclesfield
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 09 14:29 BST (UK) »
Are you positive it's Mary C?

Could it be Mary E,only there's a couple of possiblities of Mary Ellen's who married Lomas's.

I've street walked Wellington Street in 1891 for you too- no Lomas's found though.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James LOMAS died 1885 Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 09 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol

Thank you for 'walking' through Wellington Street in 1891 for me!

I'm glad it's not just me thinking...

The death certiicate is a transcription (and the name of the informant, grand-daughter, is completely clear -Mary C. LOMAS) rather than a 'simile'. I'll am checking out the Mary Es and if I find one who I believe to be a grand-daughter of James LOMAS, I'll phone up the Registrar and ask nicely for them to check.

Has anybody out there looked at the admission and discharge details of Macclesfield or other workhouse, archived in Chester? Is it worth travelling 150 miles to see?
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Follow-up James LOMAS died 1885 Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
I have been in contact with the Register office. The staff have been very helpful and have send a photocopy of the part of the certificate with the informant's name.

She was Mary E LOMAS. This will have been Mary Ellen LOMAS, daughter of John, eldest son of my James LOMAS; she didn't marry till the year after this death.

So we have positive identification of the dead James LOMAS.

Thanks Carol for stiffening my resolve to ask the Register office!