Author Topic: Tomsett  (Read 2880 times)

Offline arjem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tomsett
« on: Saturday 10 October 09 19:36 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather, Frank Tomsett ( b 1863 Withyham, Sussex) deserted his wife Margaret Moss and daughters, probably between 1907 and 1911, and went to South Africa where he died in 1954.  Later his three sons joined him there:

Harold Charles (bn c1889) and Arthur Frank (bn c1892) both appear on the UK census for 1911 and it seems that Harold married Millicent Parker in London in that year.  He and Arthur may have sailed to SA in November 1911.  A son Harold F E Tomsett was born to Harold and Millicent in London in 1915.  Harold Charles died in SA in 1920.  A Harold Tomsett visited other parts of Africa during WW1 but there is no evidence that this is the same man.

Arthur made a living in SA designing golf courses and married Mary Beatrice Urban.  He died in 1971.

The youngest son, Ramsey Cecil, (bn c 1894) does not appear on the 1911 census and may have gone with Frank.  He returned to the UK at intervals throughout his life and died unmarried in 1966.

All three sons were born at Rotherfield, Sussex.  The only other information I have is that one of them seems to have had a descendant called Bernadine Sandford who was living in Johannesburg in the late 1960s. 

Is there anyone who can give me any information about Frank or his sons please?  Thanks.