Author Topic: DORANS (DORRANS) in Kilmarnock  (Read 5745 times)

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
DORANS (DORRANS) in Kilmarnock
« on: Sunday 11 October 09 02:27 BST (UK) »
Is there a way to research this family's BMD information in Scotland without joining the ScotlandPeople paytoview site.
I live in Queensland, Australia.

DORRANS Samuel Head 43 Ireland
DORRANS Jane R Wife 39 Ireland
DORRANS Thomas Son 22 Ireland
DORRANS Agnes Daughter 17 Ireland
DORRANS Mary Daughter 14 Ireland
DORRANS Margaret Daughter 12 Ireland
DORRANS Hugh Son 10 Ireland
DORRANS John Son 8 Ireland

This family of DORANS were in Kilmarnock 1881 Census.
From Ancestry
Parish Kilmarnock/ED 14/Page 33/Line 14/Roll cssct1881_189
Jan 1884 a daughter Sarah was born in Glasgow.

Agnes DORANS married Joseph JOHNSON before they arrived in Queensland, Australia in 1890
Dorunda 5 Aug 1890 IMM/124 124 Z1965 M1704
DORANS Samuel 34
DORANS Jane 30
DORANS Hugh 18
DORANS John 16
DORANS Sarah 5
JOHNSTON Joseph 36
JOHNSTON Agnes 26

Thomas DORANS arrived in Australia prior to his Nov 1885 marriage to Jane DUTCH in Queensland.

The whereabouts of Mary and Margaret after 1881 Census are unknown.

There is also David DORANS family in Kilmarnock which appear to have arrived in Scotland around 1848.

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DORANS (DORRANS) in Kilmarnock
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 09 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Mick

Unfortunately the only online access to vital records in Scotland after the IGI cuts out is via scotlandspeople.  This truly should not be an impediment to your research though as the information you'll gain from viewing the original images and the freedom to download and save to your own computer for a few credits is one of the best values going!!!  Matter of fact there was a promotion going a while back that you could pick up 10 free credits...not sure if this is still valid but here's the old thread... http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,353206.0.html .  Armed with your 10 credits you'll have enough to search and view one record and have 4 credits left or if you purhased the minimum of 30 credits you could see all the records for Sarah, Mary, and Margaret!

Here's a helping hand....a search for the birth of Sarah doesn' turn up in Glasgow...instead it's in Kilmarnock and very interesting how they've spelt the surname...

1884 O'DORNE SARAH  KILMARNOCK /AYR

but from veiwing this image you'll learn the mum's maiden name and when and where parents Samuel and Jane had been married in Ireland.

If you're up for another few records then Mary's marriage is easily found in 1888 Kilmarnock and then using the maiden name/married name search you'll find her death in 1945 Edinburgh with a son in law as informant.  Margaret on the other hand died aged 27 in Camlachie.  Her wedding is found recorded in Calton in 1891.

Hope this gives you a helping hand....

Best wishes
Jean

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 09 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thank You Jean,

I followed the links and registered. ancestralscotland still appears to have the 10 credits offer, the only email or notification I have received is to say "Hi"

I'm thinking about buying 40 or 50 credits, one birth, 3 marriages, 2 Deaths at least,
then there's also David DORANS/DORRANs, he may be connected.

I dislike that you have to use credits to search, I'm still trying to work out what the cost to me would be in Australian $. I think around $40.

Edited Just realized the credits come in multiples of 30 when purchasing

Mick
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 09 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Mick

£6GB would get you 30 credits as you have seen. This lets you search and view 5 BMD images (1 unit to view search results and then 5 units to .).

Given Jean has done a lot of work already finding the entries, it is a sure hit that you are viewing the right entries  :)

Pay to view services can get expensive when you are searching blindly  :'(

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 November 09 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Jean
Thank you,
I did get 30 credits and located and downloaded the images for
One birth - Sarah O'DORNE
3 Marriages for the DORANS girls, Margaret, Mary and Agnes (indexed as DORANCE)

Mick

Offline seanod

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 November 09 14:09 GMT (UK) »
My family were called Dorins or Dorans and they settled in the Greenock area. They came from the west of Donegal and were Catholic. Their original name was Doris and they seem to have been renamed as Dorans by the registrars. Some of the Dorrans families seem to have been local Scottish families in the south west of Scotland. There was also a family called Dorrans in Coleraine/Ballymoney area in the north of Ireland, who were Protestant and were probably of Scottish Planter origin. If you have any inquiries about Renfrewshire and specifically Greenock, I have quite a lot of information.  :)

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Mick

My apologies for dragging up an old thread from the archives, but my great-great grandfather John Miller's first marriage was to an Elizabeth Dorrans in December 1882 in Kilmarnock. The spelling of her surname changes in every document I see, but I have gone with Dorrans for the time being.

Intriguingly, her address at the time of her marriage is given as 2 Richardlands Road, Kilmarnock, which is the same address that your Dorans (Dorrans) were living at in the 1881 census, so I am wondering whether there is a connection. Her father was Peter Dorrans, and her mother was Maggie Brown, both deceased at the time of her marriage, while a Mary Dorrans was one of the witnesses. Sadly Elizabeth passed away in September 1886 in Ballieston, Lanarkshire from what looks like consumption, and my great-great grandfather remarried in 1888. As far as I am aware there were no children from this first marriage, or, if there were, they died in infancy.

Craig

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 July 19 00:19 BST (UK) »
Is there a way to research this family's BMD information in Scotland without joining the ScotlandPeople paytoview site.
No.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 July 19 12:07 BST (UK) »
I was brought up in Cellardyke, Anstruther, Fife, in the 1950s and -60s and I can remember hearing the name Dorrans. Checking on Scotlandspeople, I find that George Dorrans, joiner in Kilmarnock, was married in 1932 at Greenock to Isabella Hughes from Pittenweem, Fife.

George Dorrans died in the East Neuk of Fife in 1978, aged 74, and Isabella Hughes his wife died there in 1997, aged 91. Information from their death-certificates on Scotlandspeople -

George Dorrans was the son of William Dorrans, potter, and Mary Howie. Scotlandspeople also has the death-certificate of a William Howie Dorrans, probably their son.
Isabella Hughes was the daughter of William Hughes, fisherman, and Christina Bowman. Hughes and Bowman are still common names in Pittenweem.

Harry