Author Topic: DORANS (DORRANS) in Kilmarnock  (Read 5747 times)

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DORANS (DORRANS) in Kilmarnock
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you Craig, Forfarian and Harry for your replies.

I will look into the information you have provided. All of which are new to me.

I do have some BMD's from Ireland, Scotland and Australia for the Dor(r)ans whom I listed in my 1st post. I've also found a couple of Mary Dor(r)ans nee Ralph siblings in Scotland due to them being listed as extra witness on her daughters marriages in Scotland.
I've tracked them as coming from Bangor and Newtownards, County Down, Ireland.

Mick
ps, my tree on my Dorans which I last updated online in July 2017
https://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=bikermick&id=I72
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Craig,

On Checking my records and the Scotlandspeople site, I find I had purchased a copy of the 1873 Death Registration for Peter Dorans aged 45, husband of Margaret Brown. His parents are given as John Dorans and Mary Hamilton. Informant is brother-inlaw John Brown.
1873 DORANS, PETER (Statutory registers Deaths 597/ 290)

I've not found a connection to my lot.

Mick
Hi Mick

My apologies for dragging up an old thread from the archives, but my great-great grandfather John Miller's first marriage was to an Elizabeth Dorrans in December 1882 in Kilmarnock. The spelling of her surname changes in every document I see, but I have gone with Dorrans for the time being.

Intriguingly, her address at the time of her marriage is given as 2 Richardlands Road, Kilmarnock, which is the same address that your Dorans (Dorrans) were living at in the 1881 census, so I am wondering whether there is a connection. Her father was Peter Dorrans, and her mother was Maggie Brown, both deceased at the time of her marriage, while a Mary Dorrans was one of the witnesses. Sadly Elizabeth passed away in September 1886 in Ballieston, Lanarkshire from what looks like consumption, and my great-great grandfather remarried in 1888. As far as I am aware there were no children from this first marriage, or, if there were, they died in infancy.

Craig
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 16:04 BST (UK) »
Mick

Thank you for looking into this. As I said, it was the fact that Elizabeth's address on the marriage certificate was the same one that your Dorans (Dorrans) were living at in the 1881 census that made me wonder if there was a connection. After a little more digging, I think the Mary Dorrans who was one of the witnesses was Elizabeth's younger sister, who would have turned 18 in September 1882.

Craig 

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 23:22 BST (UK) »
Craig,

I also have a copy of the marriage registration for Peter Dorans and Margaret Brown, Peter's mother is given as Mary Kelly, not Mary Hamilton.

I had purchased quite a few Dorans in Kilmarnock BMD registrations from SP back in 2011 to see if they were related to my Dorans.

That Elizabeth Dorrans gave the same address in 1882 may indicate she is related, however I've not found a connection.

Mick

Thanks Craig,

On Checking my records and the Scotlandspeople site, I find I had purchased a copy of the 1873 Death Registration for Peter Dorans aged 45, husband of Margaret Brown. His parents are given as John Dorans and Mary Hamilton. Informant is brother-inlaw John Brown.
1873 DORANS, PETER (Statutory registers Deaths 597/ 290)

I've not found a connection to my lot.

Mick
Hi Mick

My apologies for dragging up an old thread from the archives, but my great-great grandfather John Miller's first marriage was to an Elizabeth Dorrans in December 1882 in Kilmarnock. The spelling of her surname changes in every document I see, but I have gone with Dorrans for the time being.

Intriguingly, her address at the time of her marriage is given as 2 Richardlands Road, Kilmarnock, which is the same address that your Dorans (Dorrans) were living at in the 1881 census, so I am wondering whether there is a connection. Her father was Peter Dorrans, and her mother was Maggie Brown, both deceased at the time of her marriage, while a Mary Dorrans was one of the witnesses. Sadly Elizabeth passed away in September 1886 in Ballieston, Lanarkshire from what looks like consumption, and my great-great grandfather remarried in 1888. As far as I am aware there were no children from this first marriage, or, if there were, they died in infancy.

Craig

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 23:37 BST (UK) »
Harry,

In 2011 I had purchased quite a few BMD's for Dorans (different spellings) in Kilmarnock from SP to determine who might be related to me.
The William Dorrans you mentioned might be the William Doran born 8 Dec 1862 in Kilmarnock to parents James Doran and Catherine Dempster. (birth from Familysearch).

As I didn't find any connection to my Dorans and had spent my SP budget, I didn't research this family further.

Mick

I was brought up in Cellardyke, Anstruther, Fife, in the 1950s and -60s and I can remember hearing the name Dorrans. Checking on Scotlandspeople, I find that George Dorrans, joiner in Kilmarnock, was married in 1932 at Greenock to Isabella Hughes from Pittenweem, Fife.

George Dorrans died in the East Neuk of Fife in 1978, aged 74, and Isabella Hughes his wife died there in 1997, aged 91. Information from their death-certificates on Scotlandspeople -

George Dorrans was the son of William Dorrans, potter, and Mary Howie. Scotlandspeople also has the death-certificate of a William Howie Dorrans, probably their son.
Isabella Hughes was the daughter of William Hughes, fisherman, and Christina Bowman. Hughes and Bowman are still common names in Pittenweem.

Harry