Author Topic: " Member Connect Activity "  (Read 5654 times)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: " Member Connect Activity "
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 October 09 02:18 BST (UK) »
 Tuggers; I have my site on Gedcom now. Sans piccies, of course. I'm also talking to my sister in YIMS. Have been searching my e mails for taint of the Leach ~ I'm Right on her tail. Not that there's anything I can do about it! But she's getting nothing more from my brow as of a few hours ago!  >:(

By this time tomorrow, I'll have had time to look into software and sites. I'll have to figure out where I might safely store my stuff.

Right now, I'm juggling with my ultra slow connection vs. pretty presentation; Factoring in Security.

Can't help thinking how a case of CD's or a small pile of external HDD's might not be the thing?

Anyway, about passing my SBD now. I can't wipe that entire site soon enough. But, I don't want to cut off my nose by wiping it before I Know I have all I need.

Thanks for the input. All much needed grist ..... ;)

GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 October 09 08:39 BST (UK) »
Steven; This person isn't Guessing anything. They don't need to Now (Be Warned!); Ancestry have now made it so that you or I do all the running. We may search for Years. Spend what ever it takes. Rack our brains and even bank accounts to find " Who Aunt Betty married. "

Finally, we crack it. It was John Smith, 1872 in Wandsworth.  Great! We look up that happy event on A.com.  Add their record of the record to our ("Private") trees and, Ker Ching!!! Every free loading name collector out there gets notified! " Steve's found her. Here ye go ..... Stitch that into ye own site. Back soon with more. He's on a roll. "  >:(

That's simply not true !  

If you go to your Tree Settings, you'll see there's a Public and a Private setting.  At the bottom of the Private setting, there's a box which you can tick which says Also prevent your tree from being found in the search index.

I suggest that you tick the box, if you don't want to share your research with others.  Personally, I'm quite happy to share, and I've learned a lot by sharing with others.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 October 09 10:00 BST (UK) »

I think you can also stop yourself being tracked by Ancestry's Member Connect 'feature'.

On your ordinary member profile (ie. not the tree one) go to
Your profile and contact settings
(Edit your preferences)

— then to Activity Preferences and untick the boxes there.

They don't make these things easy to find, or even to understand!

:)
Koromo
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 October 09 10:28 BST (UK) »
Steve:

A cousin of mine set up a family tree on www.geni.com.  It's private unless you invite family or friends (for which you need their e-mail address).  Anyone linked onto the site can add their own information and photographs, etc. 

The site has recently added a "connect" function but I think you have to subscribe for this and (as far as I know) on our tree no one has!

If you want your research up on the net but want control over who can view it this might be worth considering.

The invitation function has one drawback, however.  If you encounter a distant relation on a site such as Rootschat, for instance, you are dependant on them giving you their e-mail to be able to invite them to the site - they will not be able to get in independantly to marvel at the miracles you have been able to achieve  ;D ;D ;D!

Rachel
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 October 09 12:56 BST (UK) »
Nick; On the contrary, how can it not be true if it's plastered all over their front page, mate?

And sharing with others? I haven't made over three hundred posts on here, simply asking a constant torrent of questions, have I? There's a none too subtle distinction between a reciprocal, even symbiotic relationship, and that of host and parasite. My work's being paracitised. Please allow that I know this person of old.

Koromo; You're definitely the star!  :) Thanks to following your instructions, I Think I may have now bought myself some time. I read everything surrounding where ye sent me most carefully and have clicked and ticked.

What I'll do next is go and gather a raft of deliberately wrong records. Adopt myself a bunch of rellies from Outer Mongolia or some such thing. Then I'll give it a few days and see if my shadow follows suit. If not? I'll know I'm in the clear for now  ;)

OMR; Thanks. But, this whole episode really has turned my stomach for all that. I just don't want to spend the rest of my days walking my perimeters, checking for breaches. To draw an analogy from 'real life'; I hear of a constant stream of people wailing that their Dogs have been stolen from their kennels. I show no sympathy for these people. I've always held that leaving ones Dogs out in kennels is an invitation to such. I keep mine in here, with me, at night.

I'll be bringing my tree in too. Out there it's proven vulnerable. I've been burned and have learned.

Thanks, everyone, for ye in put. I'll be checking out soft ware  ;)

GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline drodgers34

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 07:43 BST (UK) »
I suggest you have a look at www.werelate,org

Its a wiki which aims to have he "high: standards of Wikipedia

I have my site on there  www.werelate.org/wiki/HolmeVillageHome

Theres plenty of functionality which is being added to all the time.

Some drawbacks

You cant have a private tree - its all public as with wikipedia.

People can't copy your tree - there should only be one person page for anyone who existed. they can add details (though I doubt name collectors would)

If you wan t aplce where your work is published when youa re n longer contribiting - this might be the place

Living people (defined as those born less than 110 yrs ago with no death date) are discouraged - but you can have any number of user pages which cannot be altered by others.

worth a look - especially if your contributions are to be High Value

Dale Rodgers