Author Topic: new to irish research  (Read 4285 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
new to irish research
« on: Monday 12 October 09 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have found out just where one of my ggg grandparents came from in Ireland recently and would like to try and persue this line further. The names I have a re Driscoll and Shea. Ellen Shea born 1833 was born in Cape CLear Island, Cork...and presumably her husband John Driscoll b1833 was from cork county as well although they married in london in 1858. I presume they left ireland in the potato famine? Anyway, yes I I have them on every english census from 1861 through to 1911 - well at least ellen is still alive in 1911 anyway. However i would like to find out when they came to england and who came before them in Ireland.

I know that John Driscoll's dad was Patrick Driscoll and John's marriage cert states that he was dead by 1858. Ellen's dad was Michael Shea - both of the fathers were husbanmen....I presume that means they were farmers. I cant remember the names of Ellen and Johns mothers off the top of head as Im not at home with my family file at the moment.

Obviosuly irish civil registration is of no use to me - and iv looked through lots of different irish geneaology sites with no success on where to go next. I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction please to any useful sites for cork...I've tried familysearch.org with not much success either. I would particularly like to find out the baptism of ellen shea in cape clear if anyone knows of a an institution which might hold this information.

Many thanks
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline WCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: new to irish research
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 09 23:12 BST (UK) »
The baptism records for Cape Clear have been computerised by the Skibbereen Heritage Centre. You can contact them at www.skibbheritage.com. There is fee to search these records.

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 October 09 16:36 BST (UK) »
My granddad's mother was a Driscoll, though I don't know where she was originally from.  The 1901 Ireland census shows 70 year old Ellen Driscoll Collins living with her husband Michael Collins in Lissane, which is in Caheragh parish (up by Skibbereen).

Skibbereen Heritage Centre indeed has some Roman Catholic church records, and if that is insufficient, then the records on microfilm at the National Library in Dublin might be helpful.   Film number POS4773 covers Cape Clear baptisms from July 21, 1818 to Sep 15, 1851 and marriages Jan 31, 1819 to Aug 18, 1851.  Film number POS4774 covers Cape Clear & Sherkin baptisms Oct 4, 1851 to Dec 28, 1880 and marriages Feb 5, 1852 to Nov 25, 1880.   This RC diocese is Rath and the Islands.

I don't think those films are generally available except if you actually go visit the NLI in Dublin.  Hope that helps!

PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 October 09 16:43 BST (UK) »
My granddad's mother was a Driscoll

Oops, meant to say Granddad's paternal grandmother was a Driscoll.  (His mother was a McCarthy.)
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 October 09 21:45 GMT (UK) »
thanks very much for your help - iv been away for a couple of weeks so will get back on the Driscoll search this week!
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 May 11 20:48 BST (UK) »
More records are now online at http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/index.html

Example:
Baptism of JOHN DRISCOLL 14 February 1831
Father PATRICK DRISCOLL 
Mother CATE SCANNELL 
Sponsor 1 JAS WALSH
Sponsor 2 MARY SHEA
Recorded Parochial Area SOUTH PARISH, CORK (ST. FINBAR'S, CHRIST CHURCH, ST. NICHOLAS, ST. JOHN OF JERUSALEM)