Author Topic: Lilley and Stone School for girls Newark  (Read 15361 times)

Offline Kevinshouse

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lilley and Stone School for girls Newark
« on: Monday 12 October 09 20:28 BST (UK) »
Could anyone please help me  to find out any information about the above school in the early 1970s, I have found a distant relative who attended the school.  Was this a private school or college? and where exactly was the school.  I wondered if the school had changed its name over the years.  Many thanks to anyone who read this request.
Kind regards Susan

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Lilley and Stone School for girls Newark
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 15:01 BST (UK) »
Lilley and Stone Girls high school was for the girls of Newark and surrounds who passed the 11 plus exam- the equivilant of the Magnus Grammer school for boys.I failed and went to Sconce Hills.1970s It then became mixed up with Sconce and the kids had the first 3 years at sconce and then went to L&S My nephew was the last year to go to L&S he is 18, it was closed as a school and now has reopened as a 6th form college.Attached to the Grove School Balderton. It is on London Road Newark.Iam sure if you look at the Newark Advertiser site they will be able to give more info on it and maybe even pictures.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 08:01 BST (UK) »
Just come aross some photos of the school on Francis Frith, it is classed as science school
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Kevinshouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 21:47 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for help Larkspur  :) :) very much appreciated
Kind Regards Susan

Offline netty shep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 July 11 16:02 BST (UK) »
Could anyone please help me  to find out any information about the above school in the early 1970s, I have found a distant relative who attended the school.  Was this a private school or college? and where exactly was the school.  I wondered if the school had changed its name over the years.  Many thanks to anyone who read this request.
Kind regards Susan

Hi Susan,
 I know that you wrote this a long time ago....and have already been helped. As you have been told it was a girls school and you had to pass the 11 + to get a place ..... I went to the school in the 70's so your distant relie may have even been in my class LOL It turned into a comprehensive school after I left in 1977. Do you need more info ? I am in touch with a few old school friends on facebook if you need to know anymore just ask.... I know it can be awkward to find "living" people that sometimes can give you clues to family members as this happened to me several times as there are a few skelies in the cupboards on two of my family branches :o and are hard to follow up without upsetting someone asking in the family.
Kind regards
Annette

Offline Trish.Scott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 January 12 22:16 GMT (UK) »
I was at L & S from 68-76 .let me know if I can help.

Offline Brock54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I was at L & S from 68-76 .let me know if I can help.

Offline Trish.Scott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 19:27 GMT (UK) »
The names are familiar.. I've asked my sister if she can help....have you tried Facebook ? I'll do a bit of research and get back to you :)

Offline Trish.Scott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Jane Warner is on Friends United.. listed as pupil of L & S  in 1975 . That's when I was there. would be worth sending her on message on that site...:) If you are not on Friends United let me know and I'll pass on the message. good luck

I found my best friend from school only last night... after 35 years... all things are possible