Author Topic: Clavie King - Burghead - COMPLETED  (Read 3371 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clavie King - Burghead - COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 13 October 09 17:12 BST (UK) »
For a period before 1988 the Clavie King of Burghead was a James McKenzie.  I have just realised today that he may be a relation of my husband.

I wondered if there are any readers familiar with this event who might have a photo of previous kings.

I have the entry from Libindx NM012832.  At some point I hope to come up to the area and extract the obituary to see if it helps me.  If his father was the owner of the bakery and had the Commercial Hotel in Burghead  he is definitely a relation.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Betty

Offline katiesymonds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Clavie King - Burghead
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 09 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty I am planning a visit to the Heritage centre tomorrow. I can look up any info you need

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 09 06:54 BST (UK) »
That would be brilliant.

I have found the entries that you can access on line ie NM012832, NM108234, NM108564, NM106627, NM108279, NM109047, NM107854. I am hoping James belongs to the rest of this family.  I also have all the newspaper entries and grave stone photos apart from the first one which is for James the Clavie King.

I do not have the obituary for James.  If you could find it in NS of 13th Nov 1987 10/8 that would be brilliant or if there is any other literature for James when he was Clavie King before 1987 that might include a photo.  I found a mention in an old Northern Scot dated 23rd January 2009 in Echoes of the past which had an extract from a 1959 newspaper.  It mentioned James by name.

Thanks for your time.

Betty

Offline katiesymonds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 October 09 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty I have managed to get quite a lot of the info you require including a photo of Robert Ross Williamson from another post. Let me know what you would like to do..... I can post the copies on to you if you wish.
Katie

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 October 09 20:03 BST (UK) »
Brilliant.

I will send you a PM

Betty

Offline emmaabbie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Clavie King - Burghead - COMPLETED
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 February 10 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Betty,

Interested to read that  your husband could have been related to James McKenzie as he was my grandfather. You are correct about them owning the bakery and Commercial. My grandfather was a baker and was born in the commercial which is across the road from the bakery both of which are still in use.
My mother Rosemary was his only daughter and I am the oldest of her 2 sons. We all still live in Burghead and are members of the Clavie Crew which we are all very proud of.
You could give me a call on (*) or email at (*).

Best regards

Scott McKenzie Davidson

(*) Moderator Comment: phone number and e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Clavie King - Burghead - COMPLETED
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 February 10 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott

We got an email off to you last night but did not take a note of your phone number.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Betty