Author Topic: The town of Melton , Oxfordshire?  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Darcy2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The town of Melton , Oxfordshire?
« on: Tuesday 08 March 05 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

Does anyone know where Melton Oxfordshire would be?  I've done some searches online and using mapquest/an atlas, but I always come across the town of Melton in other counties.  I have Charles Castle, 56 (in 1871) with birthplace of Melton Oxfordshire on the 1871 census.  I also found an IGI listing for Charles Castle born 1815 in Chastleton Oxfordshire and I was wondering if this could be the same person, but I can't seem to find "Melton Oxfordshire" to compare.
Thanks!

Kathy
Canada

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: The town of Melton , Oxfordshire?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Melton seems to be in Suffolk... but maybe its a sub parish of somewhere in Oxfordshire... the link below may help you there seems to be a fair few researching the "Castle" surname

http://www.rootsweb.com/~oxsil/

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy

I don't know of any Melton in Oxfordshire - however there are two Miltons - Milton under Wychwood and Little Milton.  Do you have any more info on Chartle? - where was he in 1871? who was he with - the birthplaces of any children might help pick him up in a previous census year so we could check what place of birth he gives then

All the best

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 12:56 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Merton in the Bicester area - it could a bad transcription.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darcy2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I only have a bit of information on him :

Charles Castle born approx 1815 "Melton" Oxfordshire (on 1871 Census).  He married a woman called Phoebe born approx 1823ish who lists Shoreditch, Middlesex as her birthplace on the Census.  They have several children:  Charles (1847) but listed as being only 4 years old on the 1871 census (the 2 was left off of the transcription of 24 when you look at the image) born Battersea, Surrey, William (1849) born Misley, Essex,Thomas (1852) born Nottingdale, middlesex, John (1857) born Nottingdale, Middlesex, Caroline (1862)Southall, Middlesex, Richard (1865)born Nottingdale, Middlesex, and a granddaughter Ann Bush (1868)  born in Nottingdale, Middlesex, living with them on the 1871 census. 

At the time of the 1871 Census they were living in Hayes, Middlesex.  Charles was a Brickmaker and so were most of his children who were old enough to work. 

I found them on the 1881 Census, but it was just Charles, Phoebe and Richard (and some boarders).  Charles only gave "oxford, England" as his birthplace.  They were living in Hammersmith, Middlesex. 

The other funny thing about the Census is on the 1871 census they have "Caroline Castle, 9 yrs old, daughter from Southall, Middlesex.  Then on the 1881 census , 10 years later, they have "Caroline Grant", 19yrs old , Lodger, from Southall Middlesex.  Perhaps it's just a coincidence?  Something for me to look into...keeps it interesting!  :)

I will check and see if I can find anything for him in the Milton and Merton areas of Oxfordshire as well.  Maybe it was not transcribed properly or the census-taker heard "Melton" instead of "Milton". 

Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated! :)

Kathy
Canada