Author Topic: *COMPLETE* Drung and Larah parish registers- Leviston and Cowan  (Read 11399 times)

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
*COMPLETE* Drung and Larah parish registers- Leviston and Cowan
« on: Wednesday 14 October 09 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Can anyone suggest how I can find the following births : Francis Cowin and Frances (Fanny) Leviston. They were married at Drung church in 1810. I have looked at a transcript of Drung registers back to 1788 and many of the same surname are listed, but not the two I am after. Any suggestions gratefully received. Maggie.
Hunter, Hurst, Forbes from Northumberland and Durham. Sandham, Malone, Gregory from Lancashire.
NSW, Australia, Quebec, Canada.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Drung and Larah parish registers- Leviston and Cowan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 09 20:35 BST (UK) »
Francis Cowins/Cowans may not have been from Drung church.....the marriage is usually at the girls parish, but after that they would have attended the Cowins parish church.

So is there anything on the marriage?  Francis Cowins of  XXX married F Leviston of Drung...the XXX bit may give clues.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 07:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion, but it seems they were both from the parish of Drung " Francis Cowin of the parish of Drung and Francess Leviston of said parish were married on Wednesday 28 November 1810 in Drung church by licence".
I think the transcript I looked at was not complete. Do you know where the originals may be kept?

If anyone has any connection to the above  surnames in this area, Id love to hear from them.
Thanks again, Maggie
Hunter, Hurst, Forbes from Northumberland and Durham. Sandham, Malone, Gregory from Lancashire.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion, but it seems they were both from the parish of Drung " Francis Cowin of the parish of Drung and Francess Leviston of said parish were married on Wednesday 28 November 1810 in Drung church by licence".
I think the transcript I looked at was not complete. Do you know where the originals may be kept?
Not sure about this particular record but the format you've listed is very typical for this period and it would be unusual to find more detail in such an early register.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 October 09 22:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. Will have to try another line for now and put this one away for the moment.

Offline GFF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 December 09 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I see that the parish register printout for Drung Christenings at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~adrian/LDSBap01.htm
lists a Mary (15 Sept 1811) and James (4 April 1817 and 1 Sept 1822) to Francis and Frances Cowin.  The two entries for James suggest the first-named James died prior to September 1822: in such circumstances it was quite usual to give the same name to the next child born of that gender.  Hope this is of some help.

I assume you had accessed an alternative Parish register.  Is it too available on the web?

regards

F

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 December 09 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the late reply, I have been away. Thankyou for the link, I did not realise it was available online. It seems to be exactly the same as the LDS film I looked at, which was a transcript only of the parish registers, and apparently incomplete. It ended in 1827. I do not know of any others available online. If you are interested in the area I found one item of great interest on the film , which was a census of sorts of the Protestant children living in Drung and Larah in 1814. I copied it down word for word, so can look up any surnames if you need any. Do you know where I would find the parish registers after 1828, as LDS does not have that available?
Regards, and thankyou, Maggie

Offline GFF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 December 09 23:33 GMT (UK) »
It isn’t easy to develop Irish family trees because of the loss of so many records in the fire in the Four Courts PRO back in 1922.  I offer the following thoughts:

David Craig’s site was brilliant on Drung families but the link I had (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.craig/craigfami/index3.htm) is no longer accessible.

I have full transcripts of the 1796 Flax Growers Lists for the Parishes of  Drung and Drumgoon (ie Cootehill) but see no Cowin/Cowans.

More positively:
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch
throws up no entries for Cowin but has 16 Cowans, including a Thomas in Drung who presumably is one of your Cowins..

In the neighbouring parish of Ashfield, the site
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~adrian/Ash_Bap1.htm
has several “Cowans” (Henry 1822; Atty 1840; Mary 1842; Thomas 1845 ..) I expect that these would also be linked?

Otherwise, I’ve found that the site
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home
can be useful, but unless you have some pre-existing details (eg know the names of both parties to a marriage) or are following an unusual name, you will have to purchase a copy of each potentially relevant certificate from the Irish General Register Office. However this site does provide the references (registration district, year/quarter and page numbers) you need to order the cert, and saves a great deal of sifting through the manual records held in that Office.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
gives access to the 1911 Census and  our National Archives expect to have the 1901 Census up shortly. The search facility is good but requires precise spelling of entries. 

I have perused the surviving records for Drung in the 1821 Census held in hard copy in the National Archives offices, but unfortunately didn’t transcribe any Cowins or Levistons.

Otherwise, personal examination of the records held by the Church Representative Body in Dublin, or where available, in the local parish, seem to be the main residual options unless you are willing to take the fee-paying route.

Taking up your kind offer to transcribe relevant items on your List, my particular interest is in the Fannin, Foster and Rountree familes.

regards

F

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 December 09 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for those suggestions, I will follow up what I can. I checked my copy of the Protestant children census from 1814 and it seems I only copied down names that might be linked to my tree, so unfortunately none of yours are there. However, if you ever get a chance to view the film from the LDS it may be worth it as it gives the village they lived in and parents name. Sorry I could not help more with it. Once again thankyou for your help and suggestions. Regards, maggie