Author Topic: Evan Hughes & Elizabeth Rees  (Read 2165 times)

Offline GordonH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Evan Hughes & Elizabeth Rees
« on: Tuesday 08 March 05 07:05 GMT (UK) »
hi !

I'm new to RootsChat and I'm researching my great-grandparents Evan Hughes b 1846 Glyn Ceiriog and Elizabeth Rees, also b 1846 in Glyn Dyfrdwy. They were married on 10th Sept 1870 and had 7 children - Agnes, Mary, Price, Roderick (my grandfather), Eliza, Ann, Alice.  Unfortunately I can't seem to trace Evan and Elizabeth's parents. Evan's father is not named on the marriage certificate and Elizabeth's father was a William Rees, deceased (a joiner).

Does any of the above ring any bells with anyone ?

Thanks, Gordon
Evan Hughes, b 1846, Glyn Ceiriog, Denbigh
Elizabeth Rees, b 1846, Glyndyfrdwy, Merioneth
John Scott, b 1859, Liverpool

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
Re: Evan Hughes & Elizabeth Rees
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 05 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon

Have you tried ordering Evan's birth certificate? Try searching on http://freebmd.rootsweb.com for Evan Hughes births in Corwen district. If his birth was registered (it was still a bit patchy in those days as it was the responsibilty of the registrars to hunt down all births and deaths in his district!), then you can get the reference number for the certificate and which quarter he was born and order it online from www.gro.gov.uk

(Sorry if you know about all that process already)

Hopefully you should get his father's name and mother etc. from that. Let me know how you get on as I have some Hughes' from Glyn Ceiriog in my family. Namely Ann Hughes born about 1838 daughter of Edward and Elizabeth. I also have the parish register booklet for Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog from 1754 to 1814, so if any family stuff you want looking up on that I'll be more than happy to help.

Alex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.