Author Topic: Ramsays of Haddington : 1794 and thereabouts  (Read 4430 times)

Offline AlfD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ramsays of Haddington : 1794 and thereabouts
« on: Thursday 15 October 09 23:41 BST (UK) »
On 18 July 1794, the following notice appeared:

"The manufacturing of ENGLISH BLANKETS and CLOTHS, and the DYING (sic) BUSINESS in all its branches, are to be CARRIED ON by Mrs. Ramsay, for the behoof of her Family, in the same manner as by her late husband WILLIAM RAMSAY,Dyer and Clothier in Haddington. She reurns thanks to her Employers for their former favours, and hopes that they will still continue them."

I'm trying to fill out this scenario and to link it to their progeny.

They had a son. I don't know anything about him except that he appears to have had a son William b. about 1812 who married Catherine Robertson (b. about 1813). They produced a son William Ramsay (b. 1852: d. 1916 in England).

The rest, as they say, is history. This William became one of the most eminent scientists of his day; discovered helium and various other inert gases; won a Nobel prize for chemistry; got a knighthood.

I would very much like to fill out the gaps in this part of the picture. Can anyone help?

When he gave his speech as a Nobel prize winner he referred to his grandfather working in the chemical business in Haddington. Hence my searching around these parts!

AlfD