Author Topic: Ramsays of Haddington ca. 1794  (Read 4766 times)

Offline AlfD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ramsays of Haddington ca. 1794
« on: Thursday 15 October 09 23:54 BST (UK) »
The following notice appeared:

"The manufacturing of ENGLISH BLANKETS and CLOTHS and the DYING BUSINESS in all its Branches, are to be CARRIED ON by Mrs. Ramsay, for the behoof of her Family, in the same manner as by her late Husband WILLIAM RAMSEY, Dyer and Clothier in Haddington. She returns thanks to her Employers for their former favours, and hopes that they will still continue them.

HADDINGTON, 18th July 1794."

This lady was the great-grandmother of Sir William Ramsay (1852 - 1916), the chemist who, inter alia, discovered helium and various other gases.

I'm trying to bridge the gap.

I know that Mrs Ramsay had a son (name not known - but a strong chance it might have been William!), who had a son William (b. 1812) who produced (Sir) William, whose mother was Catherine Robertson (b abt 1813).

Any help welcomed!

AlfD

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ramsays of Haddington ca. 1794
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 October 09 06:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Alf D

I think this is how it goes:

1) Sir William RAMSAY 1852, his:
2) Father: William RAMSAY 1812 - at age 40ish married Catherine ROBERTSON, neice of Elizabeth CROMBIE
3) Uncle: Sir Andrew Crombie RAMSAY, Geologist, b 1814
4) Grandfather: William RAMSAY, died 1827, manufacturing Chemist in Glasgow, married 1809 to (2nd cousin?) Elizabeth CROMBIE, (died 1858), dau of Andrew CROMBIE.
5) Gt-Grandfather William RAMSAY Dyer and Clothier in Haddington  died bf  18 Jul 1794 (added: Married 1762 to Helen "Nelly CROMBIE (CRUMBIE, CROUMBIE (b 1741-d 1822)

So next, this is William (1) speaking of his family - in this part, of William(4) who is the one you are looking for confirmation of:

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/1904/ramsay-lecture.html
My grandfather on my father's side, William Ramsay, was a chemical manufacturer in Glasgow; he came of a long line of dyers, who carried on their work in Haddington, a small country town in the east of Scotland. He was the first, I believe, to distil wood for the production of pyroligneous acid; and he purified it by "torrefying" the acetate of lime formed by its neutralization, and distilling with oil of vitriol. He also was the first to manufacture bichrome; and for many years, he and his partners, the Messrs. Turnbull, made "Turnbull's blue".

Taking Bichrome as the clue:
http://www.archive.org/stream/sirwilliamramsay00tildrich/sirwilliamramsay00tildrich_djvu.txt

" In the little town of Haddington during last century several
generations of Ramsays carried on the craft of dyers.

"....one of the family, William (by reading the whole thing, this is William 4) by name, the son and grandson of  previous Williams who had been content to pursue their calling
by the banks of the East Lothian Tyne, determined to push his fortune in a wider sphere.

In about 1785 William RAMSAY (4)  went to Glasgow and became Junior partner in firm of
Arthur & Turnbull, manufacturers of  of wood spirit and pyro- ligneous acid. Also made dyer's chemicals and a variety of prussian blue still known as ' Turnbull's Blue,' And, this firm was  the first to manufacture ' chloride of magnesia ' as a bleaching liquor and also ' bichrome.' 

It goes on to say that if William RAMSAY (4)  had patented some of the processes he invented, he could have been very rich but he thought he had not the right to do this and was content to stay relatively poor.

In 1800 he founded the Chemical Society of Glasgow, and chosen as their first president.
The society was dissolved in abt 1802. William was well known outside of Scotland - attracting foreign chemists to make the journey to visit him there. Long after his death, his widow recieved visits from important men in the field.

He also published papers in the field of experimental investigation:

1. On the Solubility of some of the Earths by means of Sugar.
Nicholson's Journal, 1807.

2. On Culinary Salt, with the means of purifying it from
substances which contaminate its qualities. Highland Society 1 s
Transactions, 1816.

3. On the Antiseptic Power of Pyroligneous Acid. Edinburgh
Philosophical Journal, 1820.

In 1809 William RAMSAY (4) married Elizabeth CROMBIE, dau of Andrew CROMBIE writer of Edinburgh
Issue
Eliza 1810
William 1811 (father of Sir William RAMSAY)
Andrew Crombie 1814
John 1816

There was also some mention on one of those links, that the RAMSAY men of this line tended to die relatively young.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 09 12:36 BST (UK) »
A bit more.....

Some more links:

http://infomotions.com/etexts/gutenberg/dirs/1/7/1/2/17128/17128.htm
fa fa**  William RAMSAY, manufacturing chemist; first made acetic
acid from wood; discovered bi-chrome; President of the first Chemical
Society, Glasgow, 1796, which was merged in the Glasgow Philosophical
Society, 1802.
** means :William RAMSAY (1) father's father was William RAMSAY (4), manufacturing chemist

Arthur & Turnbull
http://www.ayrshirehistory.org.uk/AcidWorks/acidworks.htm#Turnbull and Company

Google Books
http://www.rootschat.com/links/07ab/

Memoirs of Andrew Crombie RAMSAY (3)
http://www.archive.org/stream/memoirofsirandre00geikuoft/memoirofsirandre00geikuoft_djvu.txt

Someone in 2002,  downloaded in error, the 1822 'will' (actually a Trust Disposition/Inventory) of Helen RAMSAY or CROUMBIE  widow of William RAMSAY(5), Dyer of Haddington in error  - and posted details about it here :
http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read/SCT-EAST-LOTHIAN/2002-10/1034397449
William RAMSAY, Dyer of Haddington born abt 1737, died before 1820 we know he died circa 1794!
Wife: Helen CROWMBIE b 1741-d1822
Children;
Alexander
William
John
Margaret
Euphan
Andrew

This supports what I understood one of the previous links  - that William (4) was blood related to his wife, Elizabeth CROMBIE, daughter of Andrew CROMBIE, Writer of Edinburgh. 

Other mentions in the Memoirs say:
The Crombies, like the Ramsays, had for many generations been connected  with the trade of dyers.

William 4 dies at Roseneath. He was  carried "shoulder-high" to the Ramshorn Churchyard, and buried in the Walkinshaw ground.

The marriage of William 5 is on the IGI (2 dates because Banns were called in both their parishes)
27 May 1762, St Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian - William RAMSAY & Helen CRUMBIE
30 May 1762, Haddington, East Lothian - William RAMSAY & Nelly CROMBIE

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AlfD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 October 09 13:30 BST (UK) »
Ambly:

I'm delighted, impressed and looking forward to following the leads.

Many thanks for your efforts and success.

AlfD

Offline ramsay55

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 November 09 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm just starting to research my family tree and I read these posts with interest.

As I understand it the William Ramsay(5) b. c.1737 d c.1794 had a son called Alexander.Could he be the Grandfather of Alexander ( Eckie) Ramsay. The shoemaker referered to in the book called 'reminicences of old Haddington' which has been copied onto google.The book is dated c.1850.and is stamped with 'University of Michigan'

I ask because my grandfather Alexander Ramsay was a shoemaker in Haddington he was born late 18 hundreds and died c.1965.

A long shot I realise but I hope someone can help.

Also a search through the graves posted by St.Mary's church shows a Thomas Ramsay d.1816. He was also in the Wool Dyeing trade.What relation might he be to William (5) ?