Author Topic: Wireless Broadband Hackers  (Read 8098 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wireless Broadband Hackers
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 16:06 BST (UK) »
Neither the Register nor the Guardian story makes any mention that the activity described was perpetrated by someone illegally using a wireless connection.

It was not posted with that intention.  The post was there to illustrate two facts.....

1. That allowing your internet connection to be used by others (either deliberately or by carelessness) will leave you open to illegal usage by others.

2. This illegal usage could leave the owner of that IP address open to legal action.

When someone uses your wireless connection, as far as your ISP is concerned, it is you using it, and that is very difficult to dispute. Hence the case of an OAP being threatened with legal action over alleged sharing of video games.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 18:05 BST (UK) »
Neither the Register nor the Guardian story makes any mention that the activity described was perpetrated by someone illegally using a wireless connection.

It was not posted with that intention.  The post was there to illustrate two facts.....

1. That allowing your internet connection to be used by others (either deliberately or by carelessness) will leave you open to illegal usage by others.

2. This illegal usage could leave the owner of that IP address open to legal action.

When someone uses your wireless connection, as far as your ISP is concerned, it is you using it, and that is very difficult to dispute. Hence the case of an OAP being threatened with legal action over alleged sharing of video games.

I've never denied that allowing your Internet connection to be used by others (either deliberately or by carelessness) will leave you open to illegal usage by others - but that isn't the point we were discussing. Neither is it careless to make an appropriate risk assessment based on likelihood as previously pointed out.

It is worth also noting that:
1) There is no suggestion at all in the Register report that WiFi hacking was involved in the case of the OAP accused by Davenport Lyons. Did the OAP even have a wireless connection?
2)  Davenport Lyons soon backed down when the OAP challenged their accusation - and it was Davenport Lyons' conduct that then came under scrutiny - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/davenport_lyons_apology/

Graham

Offline falcybe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 20:57 BST (UK) »
This is a jolly interesting topic, thanks Nick and Graham  :)
Meanwhile, back at the palace... according to an article in Yahoo, millions of Americans have downloaded fake security software after seeing that silly flashing thingy saying your computer is at risk...TrafficConverter.biz, which has been shut down, had boasted that its top affiliates earned as much as $332,000 a month for selling scam security software.

Now, earlier on this thread, Nick, you wrote you were off to earn some money, lol. Have you got any good software to sell us?

A little aside:
ALso, your wireless capable Router can still be hjacked, as we discovered even  if you still still use cable to connect to it. (We found wireless was slower) My SO uses a free version of  Network Magic. I'm unsure if it's still available.
Mick
Am I right in thinking that if Mick turned off his wireless side (using, as he does, the cable) then no-one could use his router?

Cheers, falcybe
Hayden Cowan Weir Jowett Barclay Howard Gooch Joiner Rayner Ash Travers Coltman Samuel Falconer Lacey Croton Clarke Robinson Alden Burroughs
Ford Lusty Jones Wice Wise Scorey Rayner Harding Bacon Chambers and lots more
Click on the little house on the left to go to our site

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 02:09 BST (UK) »
Am I right in thinking that if Mick turned off his wireless side (using, as he does, the cable) then no-one could use his router?

Don't know if the wireless access can be turned off, I never investigated that.
Would one possibilty be uninstalling the wireless network off each computer, I'm not sure if we did that.
I just checked and it's not installed on this one.

I simply took off the wireless antenna on router and computer, installed the cables and then set up the network to use cables

It was some time after this we found there was a  hijacker, we should have caught on earlier as our internet usage kept increasing.

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 07:29 BST (UK) »
Don't think there is any need for that
Just use WPA , if possible turn off broadcasting SID

Change router passwords away from the default

Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 08:02 BST (UK) »
This is a jolly interesting topic, thanks Nick and Graham  :)

Thank you  :)

A little aside:
ALso, your wireless capable Router can still be hjacked, as we discovered even  if you still still use cable to connect to it. (We found wireless was slower) My SO uses a free version of  Network Magic. I'm unsure if it's still available.
Mick

Cheers, falcybe

It all depends on the capabilities of the particular piece of hardware and its associated software. They will determine whether the wireless side can be turned off or not. If not (as Stonechat says) using the security capabilities of the router will povide protection.

Graham

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 08:09 BST (UK) »

Don't know if the wireless access can be turned off, I never investigated that.
Would one possibilty be uninstalling the wireless network off each computer, I'm not sure if we did that.
I just checked and it's not installed on this one.

I simply took off the wireless antenna on router and computer, installed the cables and then set up the network to use cables

It was some time after this we found there was a  hijacker, we should have caught on earlier as our internet usage kept increasing.

Mick
Guessing a bit here without having access to the installation itself. Removing the external antenna from the router should decrease the area over which connecting to it is possible. It would seem that the signal broadcast by the internal antenna was still strong enough to allow connection by the hijacker.

Graham

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 12:08 BST (UK) »
At 2.4GHz, the removal of an aerial is going to make very little difference, because the wiring to the aerial will radiate quite a bit.  On most routers wireless can be switched off via the on-screen menus.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline falcybe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 21:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Nick, I've found it now.
So Mick, no point in turning off the wireless on the pc, it is the router's wireless broadcast you need to turn off  8)
And make sure your pc stays connected by cable,  ;D

cheers, falcybe
I wonder how many mad people like us have a wireless router just to connect the modem by cable?  ::)
Hayden Cowan Weir Jowett Barclay Howard Gooch Joiner Rayner Ash Travers Coltman Samuel Falconer Lacey Croton Clarke Robinson Alden Burroughs
Ford Lusty Jones Wice Wise Scorey Rayner Harding Bacon Chambers and lots more
Click on the little house on the left to go to our site