Author Topic: Place Names Dumfries-shire  (Read 4409 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Place Names Dumfries-shire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 October 09 08:34 BST (UK) »
Wigtown is a town, a parish and a county. It might today be in Dumfries & Galloway but its historically Galloway and has never had any connection with Dunfries-shire.....Skoosh.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 October 09 08:55 BST (UK) »
we have got alexanders marriage details in 1837  he seems to be a good bit older than his wife will have a look at the others do you know what his childrens names were we can see a couple  csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 October 09 09:44 BST (UK) »
hi wyanga,

Since you are in Oz, you may wish to contact the local dumfries and galloway  family history centre at

http://www.annan.org.uk/societies_groups/9_family_history.html

They have many records and may be able to undertake a parish records search for you to see whether the ancestors you are searching for appear on the microfiches.

Failing that, an email to Ewart Library may prove useful to see if they have access to the records you require.  Here is a link;

http://www.dgcommunity.net/dgcommunity/Services.aspx?id=61

Skoosh is quite correct in saying wigtown is very much associated to Galloway, and the people are very proud of being Gallovidians (people of Galloway).

Best wishes and good luck,

Kenny
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 October 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
there are a few alexanders  between 1750/80  alex father james kells 1761 alex 1764 father robert /ann hood tynron   alex 1769 kells james/mary mccourtie  alex 1776 john/margaret mcguffey kirkpatrick durham alex 1777 dumfries father robert  there are a few more slightly off these dates  csc

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 October 09 10:26 BST (UK) »
csc,
      You are finding a lot of Alexanders that I havn't found where are you getting them from?
       Our Alexander had two daughters with Helen McKellar,
 Helen Grierson and Sophia Grierson, both migrated to Australia in the 1850's and 60's. I have all their details from that time on. Helen was my g.grandmother.
       Because of his age at the time of his marriage to Helen McKella, it is possible that he had a previous marriager.
       One of the problems is his age, since he was 88 at the time of the 1851 census, ( the first one to give birth place) if he had siblings born at Wigton they could very well have died, or they may have emmigrated to America, Australia or Ireland. 
    Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 October 09 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just to add to Dumfriesshire/Wigtownshire/Kirkcudbrightshire = Dumfries and Galloway:

Some of my ancestors who were  born/baptised in Kells, Balmaclellan and Parton (i.e. Kirkcudbrightshire) gave their birthplaces as Dumfries on a couple of the Welsh censuses. I was only able to trace  them fully (and confirm previous findings) when I discovered that my 2 x great grandmother had entered Kells, Kirkcudbrightshire on the 1891.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 October 09 10:53 BST (UK) »
these are the 2 girls on the census helen is obviously after mum i thought we may have got alexanders mother or fathers name from any others or if they had middle names as all my own siblings are named after family csc

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 October 09 11:04 BST (UK) »
csc, A good thought regarding the names, but both Helen and Sophia appear to be McKellar names. There were 12 children in Helen McKellars family and she had a sister Sophia.
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 October 09 11:36 BST (UK) »
you could be right about alexander having a previous family there are at least 3 alexanders with families in kirkcubrightshire    dalry, parton, urr , who would fit in with his age also i see helens birth in 1836 not found till 1839  their marriage paper is oct 31st 1837  i wonder if he moved there to be with helen csc