Author Topic: UK incoming passengers from Germany?  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great Grandpa William Hillman
    • View Profile
UK incoming passengers from Germany?
« on: Sunday 18 October 09 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me of any passenger lists incoming to the U.K between 1891-1896 from Germany. The family were from Hamburg  but there is no sign of them on the Hamburg passenger lists on Ancestry. Also are there any lists for the 1940's (same route)

I am interested in Yacob and Johanna Dorothea WAMBACH they had 4 sons and 2 daughters that I am aware of. Wilhelm Chrisitan, Theodore Edward, Karl Heinrich, Heinrich Friedrich Yacob, Elisabeth and Henrietta.

Many thanks
Penn  :)
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: UK incoming passengers from Germany?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 October 09 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Penn

I cannot see them on Ancestry either but I see some naturalisation certificates are on the National Archives, I wonder if they would give details like when and how they travelled into the country.

Sorry if you have already followed that up.

Tressle
Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 October 09 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have all the naturalization documents from Kew bar the two later ones as they are closed.
On one the brother Edward who was born in 1883 says he was brought to this country by his mother when he was four and that his father was already here. This makes it 1887/8 however I cannot find them on any census for the 1891 and the first I have of them is in London c1897 with brother Heinrich's marriage. I do have the two elder brothers in glasgow on the 1891, they say they came over at a similar time as Edward. The father Jacob died before the 1901 census, so I just have his death.

Regards

Penn
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 October 09 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, passenger lists for ships coming from European ports were not kept, save for occasional entries for ships that came from another port outside Europe and stopped over in Europe before they reached a UK port.

Have you tried going over the Hamburg emigration lists searching just by first name and year?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 October 09 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Ah thats a shame. I have tried everything with the Hamburg passenger lists, given thats where they were I'd have thought they'd be on them. Just my luck they aren't!

Thanks for posting  :)

Offline mazzie74

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You should be able to obtain the later naturalisation records of the closed documents if you write to the Home Office (I think it's at Queen Anne's Gate in London), and ask them if they can open the documents.

I did this for my ancestors' naturalisation record from 1926, which was closed until 2026, and they said that they read through the document and couldn't see any reason why it shouldn't be opened.

I then used a genealogist based in London to photocopy the documents for me.

Thanks,

Darin.

Mazzei/Mazzie - Stazzema (ITA); Cardiff; Bristol.
Bernardi - Tuscany (ITA); Cardiff; Boston (MA);
O'Keefe/O'Keeffe - Cardiff.
Svombo - Cardiff; London.
Mahoney - Newport; Cardiff.
Bugeja - Malta.
Godden - Faversham; London; Northumberland.
Harris - Deal; Gillingham.
Morris - Ramsgate; St. Lawrence; Gillingham.
Stupples - Broadstairs; Ramsgate.
Lamb - Elswick; Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
Todd - Berwick; Burradon; Dudley (NBL).
Houston - Sunderland.
Gibson - East Holywell; Cramlington (NBL)

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, They suggested I did that when I went to Kew and asked about it.
 It is something I will do soon!  ;D

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 February 10 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Penn....when people were naturalised , many a time it was put in the London Gazette...
go to www.londongazette.co.uk
10 aug 1920 has an entry for Wambach Edward Theodore
13th January 1933 the death of Joanna Ltjisa Wambach ??  any relation
2nd july 1909 Theodore Freidrich and Sebastian Ferdinand Freidrich are mentioned.any relation ??
anyway there are 16 notifications for Wambach from 1909 to 1969....good luck and have fun reading them....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Penn....when people were naturalised , many a time it was put in the London Gazette...
go to www.londongazette.co.uk
10 aug 1920 has an entry for Wambach Edward Theodore
13th January 1933 the death of Joanna Ltjisa Wambach ??  any relation
2nd july 1909 Theodore Freidrich and Sebastian Ferdinand Freidrich are mentioned.any relation ??
anyway there are 16 notifications for Wambach from 1909 to 1969....good luck and have fun reading them....allan

you need this one ;)
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/