Author Topic: Campbell/Gilmour/Wilkinson/Barr/McQuilkin/MILLAR  (Read 10878 times)

Offline AlisonC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell/Gilmour/Wilkinson/Barr/McQuilkin/MILLAR
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 August 11 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
We're in Newcastle Australia. I was just helping my mother-in-law research some family history. She seems to be the sister of the Nan you mention, so a Matilda Arthur was her grandmother!  Two boys from the family remain in the Ballymoney area, and two girls in Australia. She is likely to be able to answer some questions if you have any - she lived most of her life in Ireland.
About the separation: MIL says she understood that John Arthur was ill and was looked after by his daughter. This may have been true, or the given reason.
We don't have much documented information about the Arthurs. Do either of you have very much?
How exciting to see your posts!
Alison
O'May, Saunders, Sutherland, Grieve, Hayward, Bagley

Offline Ballaghbeddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, Alison:
It is exciting to hear from you.  Your mother-in-law must be either Margaret or Betty (nee Wilson).  They were my mother's first cousins and I have photographs of them with their children when the children were very young.  My mother made some trips back to Ireland and came back with photographs.

I am writing off the top of my head, no notes, so can't remember which girl married William Moore.  However, the interesting thing is that it turns out that Bill Moore was a half-brother of Robert Joseph Moore, a child born to Joseph Moore and his first wife, Maggie Ross.  Maggie died when RJ Moore was a child and he was raised by his mother's people, his maternal grandmother, Nancy (Gregg) Ross. Here is the connection to me.  My father's maternal grandmother was Margaret Ross, sister of Robert Ross who was the father of Maggie Ross and grandfather of her little boy, RJ Moore.  William Moore is a son by Joseph Moore's second wife.  So I have connections to the Moores on my mother's and father's sides.  It's like a jigsaw puzzle, this genealogy pursuit, and lots of fun.

Re ARTHUR, I am in the process of writing a family history and am not finished my paternal side yet.  Hopefully, I will know more about the ARTHURs when I get to my mother's side.  It makes sense to research both sides as they were raised in the same area.  I am finding that their families intermarried several times.

John and Matilda Arthur had only one son who survived infancy, Robert John Arthur, a redhead.  He came out to Canada.  His wife, Betty ?) was from around Ballaghbeddy, also.  They had no children so there was no male ARTHUR to carry on the name from John and Matilda's family.

I will attach a photo of the gravestone of Matilda Campbell Arthur.  It was erected by her daughter, Tillie Taylor of Alberta, Canada.  Annie and Robert Wilson and two of their daughters are also insciribed on this tombstone.

Colleen

ARTHUR  - Kiltest and Clarehill, Aghadowey Parish,
CAMPBELL - Vow, Finvoy Parish, Co. Antrim
DAVISON - Ballymoney, Co. Antrim
KIRKPATRICK - Coleraine, and Ballymoney (Co. Antrim)
MOORE - Dunloy, Co. Antrim
MORRISON - Ballymoney Parish, Co. Antrim
PATTERSON - Tullaghans, Finvoy Parish, Ballymoney
ROSS - Caldanagh (Dunloy), Finvoy Parish
SHAW - Tullaghans, Finvoy Parish, Ballymoney

Offline AlisonC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying, Colleen!
Yes, my MIL is Margaret. She has just gone home, and I think is actually there with Betty, wife of Bill and a niece (daughter of Hilda) at the moment! .... AND she is a redhead, too... as is one granddaughter and one great grandson.
I have sent the info on to her , but haven't heard back yet. Some work has been done researching the Calderwood side of the family, but little on her side, so it was very exciting to find you! I don't know if she knew about that gravestone or not yet. Will hopefully get her reply soon. I'm very confused without her here to explain all the relationships!
Would love to see the pictures of their family when they were younger. I only know of one or two - but maybe they are the same ones. Once a long time ago a relative from Ireland brought out an old photo album. Scanners didn't exist back then, so i took a photo of a photo of Betty and Margaret sitting (from memory) near an open hearth.
Happy to get answers (or attempt to) to any questions we might be able to help you with.
Thanks again,

Alison
O'May, Saunders, Sutherland, Grieve, Hayward, Bagley

Offline Ballaghbeddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
Alison, you are doing very well to be researching your MIL's family at all.  There is a wonderful book with some information about the Calderwoods.  It is a history of Dunloy Presbyterian Church where Bill Moore's people were members, was written by the Ballymoney historian, S. Alex Blair.  It is called "In The Midst of the Village   A History of Dunloy Presbyterian Church."  On page 123, he mentions "Mrs. Elizabeth Moore", Bill's mother and states that she was formerly a Calderwood.  I am wondering if Bill Moore and Robert Calderwood were cousins.   Check and see if Bill and Betty Moore have this book because I know they went back to Dunloy for an extended visit sometime ago.

I am attaching another photo.  This one is of Annie Arthur Wilson, mother of your MIL, and her sister, Margaret Arthur Kirkpatrick, my grandmother.  Annie Arthur was about two years older than my mother, but was her aunt.  My mother spent a lot of time at the home of her Arthur grandparents and she and Annie were like sisters.  I believe Annie was also a redhead.

I don't have photos of Betty and Margaret and their children scanned yet, but will keep that it mind.  Please contact me privately at (*)
Colleen.

(*) email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 13:52 BST (UK) »
It's lovely when relatives find each other here but please remember that you are not allowed to post details of living people. You can use PM (Personal Message) to exchange email addresses and recent family details offline.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ballaghbeddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 21:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you, "Aghadowey", for this reminder.  Enthusiasm clouded my good judgment and I appreciate your reminder.  You are doing a good job!
Colleen

Offline vitalspark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 August 12 14:29 BST (UK) »
Joseph Moore's second wife was Lizzie Calderwood from Dunloy

Offline Ballaghbeddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 August 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
To Vitalspark:

Thank you very much for your reply.  It is helpful.

Offline vitalspark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 August 12 20:01 BST (UK) »
Joseph Moore, born 1890, (father Joseph Moore) and Lizzie Calderwood 1893-1992, (father William Calderwood) were married on the 6th June 1917 in Dunloy Presbyterian Church by the Rev. John L. Corkey and witnessed by Daniel Creelman and Chelly Moore. They had five children, Elle, William, Joseph (1920), Annie Elizabeth (1921) and Sarah (1924).