Author Topic: Woodley family of Ashdon/Radwinter  (Read 4485 times)

Offline wheldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woodley family of Ashdon/Radwinter
« on: Monday 19 October 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage certificate for William Thomas Woodley in 1878 in which he states that his father was Stephen Woodley. On the UK census of 1861 and 1871 Stephen doesn't have a son named William but his wife Mary Ann Dawson, does have a son named Thomas Dawson the same age as WTW should be. WTW was known by his second name Thomas.  Could they be the same person? WTW in later censuses said he was born in Ashdon and Radwinter, while Thomas Dawson was born in Middlesex and Radwinter.
Any information on this family would be welcome.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Woodley family of Ashdon/Radwinter
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 09:52 BST (UK) »
I agree that he is possibly the same person.

When/where did Stephen and Mary marry as I cannot find reg ???

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline wheldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 09:57 BST (UK) »
Trish
The marriage of Stephen Woodley son of Thomas Woodley to Mary Ann Dawson (illegitimate written under father's name!) was in the parish church of Ashdon on 7 Nov 1857. Witnesses were Isaac Unwin and Emma Cowling who married the following year with Stephen Woodley as a witness.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 10:22 BST (UK) »
Interesting as on 1861 Census Thomas is down as Cowlen.

There must be 2 spouses missing on the FreBMD reg page for Dec 1857 Marriage of Stephen Woodley.

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 10:36 BST (UK) »
IGI has this possible baptism for Mary;

Mary Ann DAWSON
24 April 1836, St Mary, Bocking, Essex
Mother , Charlotte DAWSON

And there is a Charlotte DAWSON/William COWLER marriage
December 1837, Saffron Walden, 12 447

All this has to be more than a coincidence ???

PS, yes, I love the photo . It was restored/ coloured by all the lovely people on the Restoration Board here. It is the only one I have of her as a young woman.

Offline Clincher2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 12:20 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few Woodleys in Ashdon. You can see for yourself for free from the online digital images of Ashdon at the Essex RO website (just google SEAX) and follow the ABC link to the parish. I just did a random check and on image 39 of the series D/P 18/1/13 found a Edward Thomas Woodley baptised on Sep 6 1857 to Edward and Julia Woodley of Ashdon labourer.
I know that that is not the one you seek but you have all the images for C M and B all the way from the year dot up to the 1980s to check and eliminate the posiibilities to leave the ones you want...without leaving your chair ;D

Offline wheldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 October 09 14:24 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much for  the gen on SEAX. It's great to see the actual register entries. Will now find some hours to have a look at them. Thanks once again.

Offline wheldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 October 09 14:27 BST (UK) »
Trish, Thankyou so much for the information that you've found re Mary ann Dawson. I wonder why Thomas is down as Cowlen on the 1861? Will keep digging! Thanks again.

Offline Clincher2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 October 09 16:24 BST (UK) »
It is great to be able to view on your own pc for free the registers you need and know that the information you are getting is the real thing (even if it takes some time) and not a transcript by someone who may or may not have done it correctly.
Enjoy!!!! :D

PS If they are not to be found in Ashdon you won't be able to do the same for Radwinter because I don't think the Radwinter registers for those years are yet on line ::)