Author Topic: Aston upon Trent marriage lookup please - HALL-BRIGGS (1907)  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Aston upon Trent marriage lookup please - HALL-BRIGGS (1907)
« on: Tuesday 20 October 09 01:22 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if it is possible for anyone to lookup the marriage of Alfred HALL and Agnes BRIGGS who married in 1907 in Aston upon Trent, Derbyshire (I think). It is a very distant relationship to me so I was not intending to send for the marriage certificate...however it would be nice to know if I could find out whose son Alfred was (he was living with his grandparents through all the censuses).

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Aston upon Trent marriage lookup please - HALL-BRIGGS (1907)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 12:14 BST (UK) »
Could you give more details of Alfred - where was he born???

Ehat census do you have him on??

There is an Alfred Hall c.1877 Castleton who is whith Grandparents in 1891 -but with parents in 1881

suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 15:12 BST (UK) »
Alfred was born at Southwell, Nottinghamshire in 1872.

These are the census records:

1881 census: Westhorpe, Southwell Nottinghamshire (Ref: RG11/3368, Folio 73, Page 2)
James Hall, Head, Mar, 62, Frame Work Knitter, Notts Southwell
Mary Hall, Wife, Mar, 61, Notts Southwell
Harriett Hall, Daur, Unm, 30, Silk Hand, Notts Southwell
Lucy Hall, Daur, Unm, 28, Silk Hand, Notts Southwell
Henry Hall, Son, Unm, 26, Farm Servant, Notts Southwell
Jane Hall, Daughter, Unm, 22, Dress Maker, Notts Southwell
Robert Hall, Son, Unm, 19, Miller Labourer, Notts Southwell
Alfred Hall, Grandson, 8, Scholar, Notts Southwell

1891 census: Westhorpe, Southwell, Nottinghamshire (Ref: RG12/2707, Folio 60, Page 1)
James Hall, Head, M, 72, Framework Knitter, Neither Employer nor Employed, Notts Southwell
Mary Hall, Wife, M, 71, Notts Southwell
Harriet Hall, Daur, S, 40, Overlooker (Lace Factory), Employed, Notts Southwell
Robert Hall, Son, S, 29, Agricultural Labourer, Employed, Notts Southwell
Alfred Hall, Grandson, 18, Twist Hand, Employed, Notts Southwell
Fanny Donson, Boarder, 11, Scholar, Notts Southwell

1901 census: Westhorpe, Southwell, Nottinghamshire (Ref: RG13/3192, Folio 68, Page 17)
Mary Hall, Head, W, 81, Of no occupation, Notts Southwell
Harriet Hall, Daughter, S, 50, Seamstress, Own a/c, Home, Notts Southwell
Alfred Hall, Grandson, S, 28, Lace Curtain Maker, Worker, Notts Southwell

1911 census, living with wife, one child, and father-in-law and mother-in-law (Charles and Charlotte Young) in Aston upton Trent. Agnes was adopted I think so that is why her surname was Briggs but her parents' was Young.

I am thinking now that he was probably illegitimate, possibly the son of Harriet Hall. As I said before though I didn't really want to purchase the certificates since he is such a distant relation to me, but that's probably the only option now. I was hoping that his marriage entry in the parish registers might confirm who his father was or whether he was illegitimate.

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 16:07 BST (UK) »
It looks as if he could be illegit - in which case the marriage cert/ parish reg is unlikely to solve the mystery - there will just be a blank where father's name should be -it won't tell you mother's name

You would be better looking for a baptism/birth reg

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz,

I realise that the marriage would probably have a blank for the father's name. I have looked for the parish registers in Southwell. Alfred was not baptised at the Southwell Minster, Southwell Holy Trinity, or the Southwell Wesleyan Methodist church. I have posted on the Notts board a request for finding if/where the Southwell Baptist church baptisms exist/are. However I think the birth certificate is the only option now.

Thanks,
Alexander