Author Topic: Complete  (Read 1721 times)

Offline babaskaran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Complete
« on: Tuesday 20 October 09 08:44 BST (UK) »
My Gt Gt Grandfather Young COOP was sentenced to 3 Months Imprisonment in 1884. His punishment was Bigamy, and he was sentenced in York. (He was born and lived in Dewsbury) How would I go about finding the prison he served his time in, and also does anyone have any tips on finding the other wife. He married a Mary Elizabeth Farrar in 1873, Dewsbury (this was my Gt Gt Grandmother) and I have tried searching for another marriage with the name Young Coop, but have no luck. I cannot find him in the 1871 England Census either.
Thanks in advance
Karan

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Imprisonment for Bigamy!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 10:13 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that your best chance is to look for details of the trial which may give details of the other wife and also any aliases that he may have used.  There are two possible sources for this.  The actual court proceedings and also newspaper reports.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat ;D

As  the sentencing took place in York , this matter almost certainly made the local press.  maybe if you emailed the York Library and asked if they have the 1884 local newspapers indexed and would they get you the info. If you have the exact date of the sentencing it would make it easier for them.

Worth a try :D
Let us know how you get on.

charlotte

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 10:57 BST (UK) »
You may already have these, but I've found a couple of newspaper reports which mention Young Coop (one says alias George Thompson).  Unfortunately they don't give details of the prison or wifes name, but if you want copies or transcripts let me know (if you send me your email by PM I could send them to you).

Jo.  :)

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Karan,

there's an entry in the Leeds Mercury, January 30 1884...

"Young Coop, alias George Thompson (28), bricklayer, who pleaded guilty to bigamy at Market Weighton on the 17th September, was sentenced to imprisonment for three months with hard labour"

Might be worth searching for a marriage under his alias.

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline babaskaran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 13:19 BST (UK) »
A really big Thankyou to you all....I can now look for a George Thompson marriage, and this also means I will be able to find him in the 1871 census now.
(which is something that has been puzzling me for ages!)
I am now a very happy woman!!

;D