Author Topic: Frank Albon- Frank Allen 1889-1964 British Home Children  (Read 10727 times)

Offline DowneyD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Albon- Frank Allen 1889-1964 British Home Children
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 24 October 09 21:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your efforts on my behalf.
I had not found the records of Mildred's journey to Scotland, although the Barnardo's letter said that she had visited Amos in Scotland.   A big thank you. I did not know where Malcolm and Mildred McNeil were  buried so another big thank you.
Both of Frank's siblings had tried to locate him after he stopped contacting them in 1912.
I feel that he must have wanted to be 'lost' to the family, he changed his surname, and did not put his family as next-of-kin when he signed up for the CEF.  I find this rejection of his family strangely personal.
Both Mildred and Amos, went on trying to locate him through Barnados every decade.  Mildred and Amos were in continuous contact despite the physical distance that divided them. 
Barnardos tried to locate Frank contacting the Canadian Pacific Railway Company, the Lund's, The National Registration Bureau and the Department of National Defence, but without success.
Thank you all so much, will keep looking into all the leads.
Downey D

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 24 October 09 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Downey,

I think you should order Frank's full military file.  They can be a gold mine of information, I know my gr grandfather's has correspondence into the 1930's in them.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline DowneyD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 25 October 09 06:36 GMT (UK) »
KarenM
Thank you, I will do that, I did not know that more information could be added after the event, although it makes sense.
Downey D

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 01 November 09 14:32 GMT (UK) »
 Mildred & Malcolm are indeed buried in Strathroy, Ontario Cem. The stone simply reads .. 'McNeil .. Malcolm E McNeil  1869 - 1944  his wife  Mildred M Albon 1891 - 1941'
 From the Age Dispatch, Strathroy Feb 20 1941 issue .... " MRS M McNEIL .. Following a lengthy illness, Mrs Mildred Albon McNeil died Sunday in Strathroy General Hospital in her 51st year. Mrs McNeil was born in Sussex, England, coming to Canada at the age of 14 and had resided in Adelaide, Metcalfe and Caradoc Townships. She was a member of the United Church. She is survived by her husband, Malcolm McNeil, one daughter, Miss Doris McNeil, of Adelaide Township, and a brother in England. The funeral took place from the home of Arthur Morgan, highway 22, near Kerwood, on Wednesday afternoon, with Rev. Mr Fydell, of Kerwood, officiating. Interment was in Strathroy Cemetery."  (copied from microfilm .. at Strathroy Library)
 PS .. KarenM told me of the mention of Strathroy Cemetery in your request .. as I live in the area
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.

Offline DowneyD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 01 November 09 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken S
Thank you for going too so much trouble on my behalf, it means a great deal to me. I have just found out that their daughter Doris died in November 2003.
I wonder what Mildred's long illness was, it is so sad that she died so young. Please could you resend email address as as soon as I opened it it disappeared.
Thank you
DowneyD

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 01 November 09 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Ken how fabulous...! 
 :D  It looks as though she may have indeed married the older Malcolm, although they were kinder to his age when he died than the 1911..( altho I don't see a death for Margaret Isabelle( Maclean) McNeil....so this Malcolm might also have been a rellie, I suppose ...It is so great when we can have a large thread of information on BHC...wish we could do that with all of them.

Downey, don't feel badly that the brother didn't have much to do with the sister...we were brought up in a regular household and lots of love and my own brother has little to do with his siblings, as he's too busy with his own life...even when he's not really busy at all...It just happens with some people...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 02 November 09 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Well done Ken!!   Thanks for doing that!!

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline DowneyD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 02 November 09 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you KarenM
For asking Ken, it was very very kind, and I cannot put into words how much it means to me.
JJ is correct the dates of the marriage certificate and the stone show a marked discrepancy.
I have gained so much information, and knowledge on how to get the information, from this one thread. thank you
DowneyD

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 02 November 09 15:07 GMT (UK) »
 ::) Am I missing something, I can't see that there was ever a marriage found for them... :-\...( I've read through twice and didn't see it...J.J.

ah, now I see him, born 1869, with parents Alexander & Christie on the 1881 census in Brooke, Lambton...and the marriage, what I can see of it, on ancestry...I guess you'd all seen the marriage but nobody posted....
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com